A word of thanks.

John Clayton

Jun 27, 2007, 11:42:54 AM6/27/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Everyone

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all the people involved in making Trac what it is today.  We just transferred all of our CVS system over to Subversion + Trac, and I can't tell you how much we appreciate the effort and thought that has gone into making Trac a simple, straight forward, intuitive, extensible system.

Keep up the amazing work, you are changing the world.

oh yes, You Guys Rock.

Thanks

--
John Clayton
Development

cobwebsmasher

Jun 27, 2007, 3:10:56 PM6/27/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Hello.  I am interested in connecting an instance of Trac and an instance of Bugzilla together.  Currently I have both systems authenticating against the same LDAP repository (Microsoft Active Directory in this case), and want to take advantage of the better UI and ease of use features of Trac while not snatching everything out from under the engineering team by just migrating the bugs from Bugzilla and saying, "Here you go - enjoy your new system."

For this situation, I was wondering if anyone has done anything like adding a button to the View Ticket form that would post the Trac Ticket information to another system (like a Bugzilla).  Short of just forcing the engineering team to start using Trac, an option we are considering is adding some functionality that would "link" the Trac ticket and it's corresponding Bugzilla item.  The quick and dirty way would be to post comments to the Trac and Bugzilla ticket with links to each others' system, with a snippet web-form to do the job (i.e. a form that says enter the Trac ticket # and the Bugzilla ticket # you want to link), with this feature being automated by a "Forward this ticket to Bugzilla" feature that would generate a new bugzilla item - get the # out of the database and make the appropriate connections.

I could probably get some mileage out of rewording this problem/issue, but my guess is that anyone that has had similar aspirations might have a sense of what I'm trying to do and hopefully some success that they would be willing to share?

Heck, even making Bugzilla look like Trac from a style perspective would be a welcome solution --- I've seen this on one website before, but I can't find it to save my life again.

Thanks,

Vincent

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.

Alec Thomas

Jun 27, 2007, 8:55:58 PM6/27/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On 6/28/07, John Clayton <jo...@filewave.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone
>
> I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all the people involved in making
> Trac what it is today. We just transferred all of our CVS system over to
> Subversion + Trac, and I can't tell you how much we appreciate the effort
> and thought that has gone into making Trac a simple, straight forward,
> intuitive, extensible system.
>
> Keep up the amazing work, you are changing the world.
>
> oh yes, You Guys Rock.

Thanks from all of us John, the sentiment is much appreciated :)

--
Evolution: Taking care of those too stupid to take care of themselves.

Christopher Taylor

Jun 28, 2007, 10:34:32 AM6/28/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Two easier options:

1) check out the bugzilla plugin for Trac
2) migrate from bugzilla to trac with the bugzilla2trac.py script

HTH
-Chrs

cobwebsmasher

Jun 28, 2007, 6:16:58 PM6/28/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I've used the bugzilla2trac.py script, and it does an excellent job of moving bugs from bugzilla to Trac, but unfortunately the eng. team doesn't want to use Trac for all bugs just yet, just some, so bringing everything over into a system that wouldn't be in sync isn't quite so useful.

Bugzilla plugin.  Hmmm, Looking at it, it does seem interesting, although in this case, I don't want to lose the Trac ticket functionality as much as I want to integrate both.

Any other ideas?  I will definitely propose the bugzilla plugin to my group, though.  Thanks for that thought.

Vincent

Christopher Taylor <chta...@gmail.com> wrote:

Two easier options:

1) check out the bugzilla plugin for Trac
2) migrate from bugzilla to trac with the bugzilla2trac.py script

HTH
-Chrs

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

cobwebsmasher

Jun 28, 2007, 6:29:06 PM6/28/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
I am currently using LDAP authentication (Microsoft Active Directory) against Trac.  Works wonderfully, although I admit it was a headache at first, so if anyone needs config files against Apache 2.x, feel free to ping me.  :)

I have 2 questions.

1.  Email Notification to users.  How do I get Trac to "know" what the email address is for the users in the LDAP directory?  For login purposes, we are using the sAMAccount, which resolves to names like frank and jamie, whereas the email address is typically fr...@foo.com, ja...@foo.com.  I am working on an instance of Trac for another client that seems to do auto-email to folks even when you only login as "frank" and "jamie", but the admin has no idea how or why it is capable of doing this.  Any ideas?

2.  Drop down list for assign to: and cc: --- In Bugzilla, you have a drop down list for users when you want to assign tickets and or cc them.  This is considered a good thing so that folks don't typo the heck out of their assignment/cc lists.  Anyone know if there's a hack or plugin that would replicate that functionality?  Ideally it would be able to do an LDAP lookup, but I would be happy with having a manual or database driven list as well if need be.

Thanks,

Vincent

Noah Kantrowitz

Jun 28, 2007, 6:44:00 PM6/28/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
cobwebsmasher wrote:
> I am currently using LDAP authentication (Microsoft Active Directory) against Trac. Works wonderfully, although I admit it was a headache at first, so if anyone needs config files against Apache 2.x, feel free to ping me. :)
>
> I have 2 questions.

0. Please don't hit reply when starting a new thread. It breaks
standards-compliant MUAs.

> 1. Email Notification to users. How do I get Trac to "know" what the email address is for the users in the LDAP directory? For login purposes, we are using the sAMAccount, which resolves to names like frank and jamie, whereas the email address is typically fr...@foo.com, ja...@foo.com. I am working on an instance of Trac for another client that seems to do auto-email to folks even when you only login as "frank" and "jamie", but the admin has no idea how or why it is capable of doing this. Any ideas?

1. Look at smtp_default_domain in trac.ini

> 2. Drop down list for assign to: and cc: --- In Bugzilla, you have a drop down list for users when you want to assign tickets and or cc them. This is considered a good thing so that folks don't typo the heck out of their assignment/cc lists. Anyone know if there's a hack or plugin that would replicate that functionality? Ideally it would be able to do an LDAP lookup, but I would be happy with having a manual or database driven list as well if need be.

2. restrict_owner in trac.ini

--Noah

signature.asc

cobwebsmasher

Jun 28, 2007, 6:44:36 PM6/28/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
I seem to be on a posting roll today.  Apologies for the spike in traffic.  Last question for the week.  :)

I am maintaining an instance of Trac that is hosted on textdrive nee' Joyent.  These guys don't allow access to the main Apache conf file, so I have to do any jiggy cuteness with Apache by using directory specific .htaccess files.

Because of the lockdown on Apache, rather than using mod_python through Apache, I am forced to use tracd on a specific port.

So I have tracd running on a specific port XXXX, utilizing a specific digest file.

In an .htaccess file under /tracweb, I have mod_rewrite rules proxying any requests to /tracweb to the tracd instance running at port XXXX.

Everything works hunky dory until it comes time to authenticate.  If I attempt to authenticate directly to the tracd instance at port XXXX, everything works perfectly.  However, if I attempt to authenticate by clicking LOGIN from /tracweb, it accepts my credentials and then proceeds to go into an infinite loop when attempting to login.

The error I see in my logs is:

[Thu Jun 28 15:03:44 2007] [error] [client 84.42.203.214] Digest: invalid nonce 3f29a221bf8dc7164e2ab27fd922fd34 received - length is not 52

Below is my .htaccess file (w/names changed to protect the innocent)

===========

AuthUserFile /{blah}/trac.digest.passwd
AuthGroupFile /{blah}/groups.htgroups
AuthType Digest
AuthDigestProvider file
AuthName {foo}
require group all

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^trac_common/(.*) http://127.0.0.1:9006/trac_common/$1 [P]
RewriteRule ^trac/?(.*) http://127.0.0.1:9006/$1 [P]
RewriteRule ^project1(.*) http://127.0.0.1:9006/project1$1 [P]
RewriteRule ^project2(.*) http://127.0.0.1:9006/project2$1 [P]
RewriteRule ^project3(.*) http://127.0.0.1:9006/project3$1 [P]
RewriteRule ^project4(.*) http://127.0.0.1:9006/project4$1 [P]

============

This also assumes that there is an instance of tracd running under the following:

/usr/local/bin/python /usr/local/bin/tracd -d -p 9006 --auth *,{blah}/trac.digest.passwd, {foo} -e {homedir of Trac}

============

I don't think I've forgotten anything.  Any ideas?

cobwebsmasher

Jun 28, 2007, 6:48:06 PM6/28/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response, Noah.  Sorry for breaking the reply-to protocol.  I thought that if I hit reply, but modified the text and the subject accordingly that it would have the same effect as a "new" email.  If I forgot to do something it was definitely uninintentional and I will use compose a "new" item going forward.  (Please note that my last post went out before I read your response, so please forgive).

Vincent

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

Christopher Taylor

Jun 28, 2007, 6:50:45 PM6/28/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
I guess that depends on how you operate.

if you have one big project, try having several smaller components
moved over to Trac

if you have several smaller projects, try hosting only a subset of them in Trac.

HTH!
-Chris

Rainer Sokoll

Jun 29, 2007, 3:05:13 AM6/29/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 10:34:32AM -0400, Christopher Taylor wrote:

[how to integrate bugzilla into trac]

> 1) check out the bugzilla plugin for Trac

Do you mean BugzillaIssueTrackingPlugin
(http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/BugzillaIssueTrackingPlugin) or
TracZillaPlugin (http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TracZillaPlugin)?

Rainer