html mail and duplicate tickets control

diego gentoo

May 24, 2007, 6:52:36 AM5/24/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Hi there, I'm Diego. I would like to know if there is any plugin (or some similar stuff) that can send html mail when a ticket is open, closed or edited; also I'd like to know if it's possible to have nay type of control on tickets to avoid duplicates. Thanks for all. Diego.

Emmanuel Blot

May 24, 2007, 8:39:19 AM5/24/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
HTML email is a feature that is scheduled for release 0.12. I don't
think there is a plugin to this right now.

Cheers,
Manu

--
Manu

Rainer Sokoll

May 24, 2007, 8:49:13 AM5/24/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 02:39:19PM +0200, Emmanuel Blot wrote:

> HTML email is a feature that is scheduled for release 0.12.

Hopefully noone implements this... ;-)

Rainer

Emmanuel Blot

May 24, 2007, 9:10:49 AM5/24/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
> > HTML email is a feature that is scheduled for release 0.12.
> Hopefully noone implements this... ;-)

This is in my TODO list, I hope to have some time in the upcoming months.
But I won't use it, I really dislike HTML emails... ;-)

Cheers,
Manu

Aaron D. Marasco

May 24, 2007, 9:35:18 AM5/24/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, May 24, 2007 09:10, Emmanuel Blot wrote:
> This is in my TODO list, I hope to have some time in the upcoming months.
> But I won't use it, I really dislike HTML emails... ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Manu

I think the HTML would be "nice" but stripping wiki markup to plaintext
would be the advantage this feature brings to non-HTML email clients.

- Aaron

--
Sent using a web interface, so I am sending this instead of working.

Emmanuel Blot

May 24, 2007, 9:37:57 AM5/24/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
> I think the HTML would be "nice" but stripping wiki markup to plaintext
> would be the advantage this feature brings to non-HTML email clients.

This is also planned, but this feature relies on a yet to be
implemented feature: split between the wiki parser and the wiki
formatter(s).

Cheers,
Manu

diego gentoo

May 24, 2007, 9:34:37 AM5/24/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Just tell it to my boss :D

Aaron D. Marasco

May 24, 2007, 9:50:12 AM5/24/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

Oh. I assumed there are simplistic ways of doing (html) -> (txt) just
dropping all the wikilinks and whatnot. Or is it planned to be more
advanced than just the text dump? Maybe something like:

[wiki:wikipage This page] shows...

to HTML =>

<A HREF="http://server/trac/wiki/wikipage">This page</A> shows...

to plaintext =>

[This page](1) shows...

(At end of email:)
(1) http://server/trac/wiki/wikipage

I bring that up because most mail viewers will still parse clickable URLs
even when plaintext source.

Erik Bray

May 24, 2007, 10:15:20 AM5/24/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On 5/24/07, Aaron D. Marasco <Trac...@revragnarok.com> wrote:
> Oh. I assumed there are simplistic ways of doing (html) -> (txt) just
> dropping all the wikilinks and whatnot. Or is it planned to be more
> advanced than just the text dump? Maybe something like:
>
> [wiki:wikipage This page] shows...
>
> to HTML =>
>
> <A HREF="http://server/trac/wiki/wikipage">This page</A> shows...
>
> to plaintext =>
>
> [This page](1) shows...
>
> (At end of email:)
> (1) http://server/trac/wiki/wikipage

Sadly, it's not that simple at the moment, as the parsing and
formatting of wiki pages are combined in one large, difficult to
separate out behemoth. I mean, one *could* hack the code directly to
add some special cases for e-mail or something, but it would be
terrible.

There's work being done though to separate the two. See
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/Proposals/WikiParserFormatterSplit
Basically, there will be a parser that generates a DOM tree for the
wiki, and then it will be possible to create formatters to display it
however necessary.

I'd like to add +1 to the need for HTML e-mails. Personally, I prefer
plain text, but we are under the crush of users who can't get any work
done if their e-mails are in monochrome ;)
Besides, sending multipart-encoded e-mails isn't hard, and any decent
MUA should be able to hide the HTML part from you.

Erik

Emmanuel Blot

May 24, 2007, 12:46:56 PM5/24/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
> but we are under the crush of users who can't get any work
> done if their e-mails are in monochrome ;)
Yes I know.

> Besides, sending multipart-encoded e-mails isn't hard,

I hope it's true, but from the previous experience with multipart
encoded emails and Python, I'm not that confident: there's always one
MUA that does not behave as expected...

> and any decent MUA should be able to hide the HTML part from you.

Any clue about how to tell GMail not to use the HTML part? I may have
missed the obvious setting, but I'm tired of HTML posts so any tip is
welcomed.

Cheers,
Manu

Erik Bray

May 24, 2007, 5:18:25 PM5/24/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On 5/24/07, Emmanuel Blot <manu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > and any decent MUA should be able to hide the HTML part from you.
> Any clue about how to tell GMail not to use the HTML part? I may have
> missed the obvious setting, but I'm tired of HTML posts so any tip is
> welcomed.

Haha, yes. Not long after I sent that, I remembered poking around
GMail for a while trying to find out how to ignore HTML e-mails, and
giving up. Point taken.

Actually, I recall at one point discussing with another developer the
idea of adding an option the to the session settings regarding e-mail
format. It would default to plain text, but users could opt in on
HTML so they can get their color fix.

Erik

Emmanuel Blot

May 24, 2007, 5:41:41 PM5/24/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
> Actually, I recall at one point discussing with another developer the
> idea of adding an option the to the session settings regarding e-mail
> format. It would default to plain text, but users could opt in on
> HTML so they can get their color fix.

I guess that for the first step, it would be a site-wide setting: if
this is a user setting, this means that Trac needs to create and post
up to three different emails per notification (text, html, text+html).
This does not mean that user setting is not an option, though.

Cheers,
Manu

Sumith

Jun 13, 2007, 4:02:14 AM6/13/07
to Trac Users
On May 24, 5:39 pm, "Emmanuel Blot" <manu.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HTMLemail is a feature that is scheduled for release 0.12. I don't

> think there is a plugin to this right now.

Dear All,

I saw nice workaround for this at http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/4270#comment:5.
When I tried it I came across a problem (http://trac.edgewall.org/
ticket/4270#comment:11 & http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/4270#comment:12).

Can any of you try it and let me know how to make it work?

Regards,
Sumith