New ticket field should be 'Set Owner', not 'Assign to'

RJOllos

Jul 13, 2009, 4:19:09 PM7/13/09
to Trac Users
Hello,

I was very confused that my tickets where not changing to the Status:
assigned when I set the 'Assign to' field during ticket creation. I
went off searching and found a nice explanation [1].

I thought I would pose the following question for comment before I
went off and created a ticket:

When a user is selected from the 'Assign to' field during ticket
creation, the Owner of the ticket is changed, however the Status is
not changed. Therefore, shouldn't this field be named 'Set Owner' or
'Owner:'? It is only setting the owner; it is not assigning the
ticket. Renaming this field might reduce some of the confusion that I
and others have experienced.

Is there a way I could rename the field for my trac instance?

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/trac-users/browse_thread/thread/fe7770ab0cfd3145/187251e948a03bea?lnk=gst&q=ticket+create+assigned#187251e948a03bea

- Ryan

RJOllos

Jul 15, 2009, 4:06:30 PM7/15/09
to Trac Users
It looks like I can rename the 'Assign to' field by changing line 1093
(Trac 0.11.4) in /trac/ticket/web_ui.py [1].

1092: if not ticket.exists:
1093: field['label'] = 'Assign to'
1094: if 'TICKET_MODIFY' in req.perm(ticket.resource):

Is this the 'proper' way to modify the field, or is there a better
way?

Looking at the BlackMagicTicketTweaksPlugin [2] hints at a better way,
but it seems like it should be unnecessary to install a plug-in for
such a simple change. The downside I see is the need to preserve this
change through Trac upgrades.

[1] http://trac.edgewall.org/browser/tags/trac-0.11.4/trac/ticket/web_ui.py
[2] http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/BlackMagicTicketTweaksPlugin

- Ryan
> [1]http://groups.google.com/group/trac-users/browse_thread/thread/fe7770...
>
> - Ryan

Dan Winslow

Jul 15, 2009, 4:32:42 PM7/15/09
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

You can rename fields using one of the plugins...blackmagic I think.

RJOllos

Jul 15, 2009, 4:44:05 PM7/15/09
to Trac Users
I opened a ticket (1) for this to see what the developers have to say.

(1) http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/8484