Keeping user accounts consolidated

Chuck Esterbrook

Apr 5, 2008, 9:53:42 PM4/5/08
to Trac Users
I have a Trac installation (0.11b1 on Linux) that's working quite
well, but I haven't opened it up to the public for posting. I was
pointed in the right direction for doing so per
http://groups.google.com/group/trac-users/browse_thread/thread/d8a09fd4616167de/58c95f16541b1bcd?lnk=gst&q=esterbrook#58c95f16541b1bcd

But I also have a phpBB3 installation that's working quite well and
has been accumulating accounts and posts since before I set up Trac.

So now my concern is having two sets of accounts for the same site.
Maybe I could migrate the discussion forums to Trac? I found
http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/DiscussionPlugin and it looks like a great
start. But there's a big enough gap between phpBB3 and it that I think
I'm staying with phpBB3 for now. See various RFEs at
http://trac-hacks.org/report/9?COMPONENT=DiscussionPlugin

I'd like to avoid having users create two accounts. It seems like
options include at least:

-- A Trac Hack I don't know about.

-- My own hack to have Trac read another database for user logins (but
within the same server, so maybe not too bad). I don't know if this is
feasible as Trac may wish to write information back. Then again, maybe
I can take that over too.

-- Perhaps a hacky cron job that copies account information from the
forums db to the Trac db.

Does anyone have experience or advice on linking Trac accounts to
another web application on the same site?

Thanks,
Chuck

martin....@selex-comms.com

Apr 7, 2008, 8:55:05 AM4/7/08
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

This email and any attached files contains company confidential information which may be legally privileged. It is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and solely for the purposes set forth therein. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this email in error please notify the sender by return, delete it from your system and destroy any local copies. It is strictly forbidden to use the information in this email including any attachment or part thereof including copying, disclosing, distributing, amending or using for any other purpose.

In addition the sender excludes all liabilities (whether tortious or common law) for damage or breach arising or related to this email including but not limited to viruses and libel.
SELEX Communications Limited is a Private Limited Company registered in England and Wales under Company Number 964533 and whose Registered Office is Marconi House, New Street, CHELMSFORD, Essex. CM1 1PL. England.

John Hampton

Apr 7, 2008, 10:03:32 AM4/7/08
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
Chuck Esterbrook wrote:
> -- My own hack to have Trac read another database for user logins (but
> within the same server, so maybe not too bad). I don't know if this is
> feasible as Trac may wish to write information back. Then again, maybe
> I can take that over too.

Your best bet is to create an IPasswordStore implementation. This way
you can configure the account manager plugin to use your backend and
have your backend grab user/password info from the phpBB installation.

As I have never used phpBB before, I don't know how hard this will be,
but assuming that all phpBB does is store username/password hashes in a
DB that you have access to, then it'll be easy.

The documentation for the IPasswordStore interface is here:

http://trac-hacks.org/browser/accountmanagerplugin/trunk/acct_mgr/api.py#L15

Also, if you have any questions, hop on #trac. There are generally
multiple people there that have had experience with implementing
IPasswordStore.

-John

Emmanuel Blot

Apr 7, 2008, 10:20:00 AM4/7/08
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
If phpBB support LDAP, you could use LDAP for
authentication/permissions for Trac.

--
Manu