(XML)RPC plugin news

osimons

Jul 1, 2009, 7:39:22 AM7/1/09
to Trac Users
Hi all,

I've recently started maintaining the http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/XmlRpcPlugin,
and have spent some time fixing and closing issues to make it work
well with newer Trac 0.11. There are not yet any formal releases, and
I suspect there are some more things I want to improve before I get to
that point. Install the latest from trunk if you are using Trac 0.11.

Among the hightlights:
* Full support for ticket workflows (in getActions() and update())
* Trac 0.11 fine-grained permissions support across all methods
* Support for JSON-RPC as alternative protocol (use py26 or
simplejson)
* Type and data normalization for all input and output
* Functional unit tests to help maintain quality as things change

The /xmlrpc (or /jsonrpc) urls now provides slightly more
documentation about using the protocols, and also notes about
improvements + deprecated usage. I'll likely also add a formal
changelog to the viewed documentation as well, to make it easier to
keep updated on API changes over time.

Check the log messages for all the gory details:

http://trac-hacks.org/log/xmlrpcplugin

The current status as reflected by open tickets:

http://trac-hacks.org/query?status=!closed&component=XmlRpcPlugin

This is not too bad, and except the issues for detecting mid-air
colissions, most are about improving the feature set for the plugin.
I'll look to resolve the various tickets that concerns create &
update, and try to find a middle-way for the API that allows it to
both to be somewhat more flexible than the Trac web UI and at the same
time support the rigour and restrictions imposed by trac with regards
to what is allowed and permissible. Join discussions on the open
tickets if you have opinions - the direction will be plotted now...

Anyway, this was just a small note to inform you all that the plugin
is alive, and that I will try to look after it as much as time and
effort permits. Testing and patches most welcome, of course ;-)

:::simon

https://www.coderesort.com

yoheeb

Jul 1, 2009, 3:20:08 PM7/1/09
to Trac Users
cool, and thanks. I have high hopes for the XMLRPC feature. I really
think it is the right way to "integrate" a lot of things I "wish trac
did" into trac, that really don't belong as part of the web interface,
IMHO.

Olemis Lang

Jul 6, 2009, 12:28:18 PM7/6/09
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 6:39 AM, osimons<odds...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've recently started maintaining the http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/XmlRpcPlugin,
> and have spent some time fixing and closing issues to make it work
> well with newer Trac 0.11. There are not yet any formal releases, and
> I suspect there are some more things I want to improve before I get to
> that point. Install the latest from trunk if you are using Trac 0.11.

This is cool ... I think I have to move to a newer version of TracXMLRPC.

I'm in the process of adding in TracGViz plugin two RPC providers that
could be included in the TracXMLRPC . They could be included right
there If (you want | possible | useful).

- TimelineRPC ( already there in TracGViz 1.3.2 )
- VersionControlRPC ( coming soon in TracGViz 1.3.3 , needs further
«tests» includes initial implementation for #808@TH )
- ReportRPC ( coming soon in TracGViz 1.3.3 , already «tested» but
partially implemented includes initial implementation for #1805@TH )

So you can see initial implementation soon in TracGViz 1.3.3 ;)

> Among the hightlights:
> * Full support for ticket workflows (in getActions() and update())
> * Trac 0.11 fine-grained permissions support across all methods
> * Support for JSON-RPC as alternative protocol (use py26 or
> simplejson)
> * Type and data normalization for all input and output
> * Functional unit tests to help maintain quality as things change

All this is cool .

--
Regards,

Olemis.