including timeline excerpt from within a wiki page.

Danny

Dec 3, 2007, 2:51:32 PM12/3/07
to Trac Users
The idea I'm looking for here is if it is possible to include an
excerpt of the timeline from within a wiki page. Specifically, in our
main page, I'd love to be able to say include the last 7 days worth of
timeline activity. I realize there is a RecentChanges macro, but that
only details wiki changes. I like the timeline's overview of the
entire site and feel that would be more usefull Of course, details
like last 7 days that have x project/tag/etc. would also be cool, but
not necessary. I have looked around on trac-hacks and haven't seen
anything that comes close, aside from hacking an rss feed of the
timeline into the wiki page itself, which seems silly and redundant.
I'm not too afraid of doing it myself if I a. knew anything about
python. b. knew anything about the api itself :). I'm afraid I'm a
perl person so my knowledge and ability to mess with the source is
very limited.

Thoughts?

--
Danny.

Christian Boos

Dec 4, 2007, 4:24:01 AM12/4/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com

Yes, that's a very good idea, but I think it will be even more useful
once we can create "custom" timelines, by filtering them by author,
component, etc.

-- Christian

Danny

Dec 6, 2007, 4:11:18 PM12/6/07
to Trac Users
Is there a more formal place to propose/discuss such a feature?

Noah Kantrowitz

Dec 6, 2007, 4:12:36 PM12/6/07
to trac-...@googlegroups.com
No need to propose it. Make a macro and post it to trac-hacks.

--Noah

Danny

Dec 6, 2007, 4:46:04 PM12/6/07
to Trac Users
Heh, that'd only work if I was familiar enough with python and the
appropriate trac api(s). Which I am very definetly not! I'll poke
around but I don't really expect much of it. I've read through the
TracWikiMacros article but I know nothing about python and I'm not
certain where to go in terms of accessing the timeline api.

Danny

Dec 7, 2007, 4:02:32 PM12/7/07
to Trac Users
Yeah, I've tried my hand at it. But I'm having to learn Python at the
same time that I'm trying to poke around in the trac internals, and
frankly not even sure what libraries I'm supposed to be accessing.
Some investigation in the trac.timeline.* modules seem theres no real
interface to the information itself, the TimelineModule appears to be
tightly linked to the cgi req itself? Not sure how to go about doing
this at all. I'm going to cross-post this thread into the trac-dev
and see if anyone there has any suggestions.

--
Danny.