Beta1 this week-end?

Christian Boos

Dec 7, 2007, 3:52:16 PM12/7/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Hello folks,

I've gone through a bunch of edits in the TracGuide and related pages,
which are now focusing on 0.11.
I think that at r6302, I reached the minimal level which I think can be
considered to be ''good enough'' for a beta1 release. We'll have some
time during the 0.11beta1 testing period to fix the remaining glitches
in the documentation. Given the current stability of trunk, I think it's
still entirely doable to release 0.11 this year.

I won't have the time to do the packaging of the beta1 this week-end
myself, so if someone else would like to do it, he's more than welcome.

As for the announcement on Trac-users, it could be a small summary of
the main features as listed in the milestone:0.11 page, as well as links
to the more detailed release notes [1] and the API changes documentation
[2].

If either jonas or cmlenz could upgrade t.e.o to the beta1 in the same
go, that would be great (a.k.a. #4315). At the same time, it would be
also great if the #6059 and #6112 project tasks could be done (they
shouldn't take more than 5 minutes each).

Thanks!

-- Christian

[1] - http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ReleaseNotes/0.11
[2] - http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ApiChanges/0.10

Christian Boos

Dec 15, 2007, 8:13:36 AM12/15/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Another call for doing it a 0.11-beta1 release this Monday.
I propose a freeze for the beta1 on revision r6333, if jonas and cmlenz
are OK, they can set the version and tag it.

I had a try to build the bdist_wininst package, but bad luck, the .exe
didn't seem to install it in a way such that the require would work
afterwards. Running tracd.exe gave me:

pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: Trac==0.11dev-r6333

Any hints welcomed.

-- Christian

PS: I used setuptools-0.7a1dev_r52046-py2.3.egg, maybe that was not
recent enough, I'll try again with 59523.

Jonas Borgström

Dec 15, 2007, 12:34:58 PM12/15/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Christian Boos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Another call for doing it a 0.11-beta1 release this Monday.
> I propose a freeze for the beta1 on revision r6333, if jonas and cmlenz
> are OK, they can set the version and tag it.

I can help with the actual release tomorrow or on Monday, but on Monday
I'm only free after business hours.

Unless anyone is planning on merging 0.12 stuff into trunk now we don't
need to create a 0.11-stable branch until 0.11 is released. (This is the
way it has been done in the past)

And the tagging can wait until the actual release.

> I had a try to build the bdist_wininst package, but bad luck, the .exe
> didn't seem to install it in a way such that the require would work
> afterwards. Running tracd.exe gave me:
>
> pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: Trac==0.11dev-r6333

Did you run "python setup.py egg_info" after editing the version number?

Cheers,
Jonas

Christian Boos

Dec 17, 2007, 12:51:37 PM12/17/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Jonas Borgström wrote:
> Christian Boos wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Another call for doing it a 0.11-beta1 release this Monday.
>> I propose a freeze for the beta1 on revision r6333, if jonas and cmlenz
>> are OK, they can set the version and tag it.
>>

> I can help with the actual release tomorrow or on Monday, but on Monday
> I'm only free after business hours.

Ok, I've prepared the bdist_wininst installer and .zip files for Windows:

$ md5sum.exe trunk/dist/Trac-0.11b1.win32.exe
b34807ea19fd58fa5f055187bd6ae17f *Trac-0.11b1.win32.exe
a88b8f0f892f532d2df84bfba701582a *Trac-0.11b1.zip

and the .egg and .tar.gz for Unix:

# md5sum /packages/trac/branches/upstream-trunk/dist/*
522e7b1b96e6f1d7c7289cabace7f37f Trac-0.11b1-py2.3.egg
db3c21d53b7bfa9aeb9e036ef5df61db Trac-0.11b1-py2.4.egg
fe05f3900cc08aba9a982259e11bd6cd Trac-0.11b1-py2.5.egg
570b89bcb7420fb9f47496c38f45ee22 Trac-0.11b1.tar.gz

Well, I'm not sure we need to distribute the eggs or just the .tar.gz.
They are just provided in case you need them and there's even probably a
way to generate /one/ egg without the python version number in it...

Those files are now in ftp://ftp.edgewall.org/incoming/

There's also the usual announcement to Trac-users, I can send that
tomorrow.
Basically something like the following:

----
Hello dear Trac-users,

We now have a beta1 release for the much awaited Trac 0.11.

You will find this release at the usual place:
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDownload

Here are some of the features you can expect from this version:

* New template engine for generating content (Genshi)
* New configurable workflow in the ticket subsystem
* Finer-grained control of permissions
* Support for Pygments as the default syntax highlighter
* Improved repository browser ("blame" support, dynamic in-place
expansion of folders)
* Improved user preferences subsystem, among which the possibility
for any user to select their time zone and disable access keys
* The WebAdmin plugin is now an integral part of Trac

You can find more detailed release notes at
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ReleaseNotes/0.11

Don't hesitate to send us feed-back on Trac-users for suggestions and
installation questions, on Trac-dev for development related questions.
You can also create tickets if you find bugs in the beta1, but *please*
before that, search in the Wiki and for duplicates tickets.

Note that the beta1 should already be very stable and we don't expect
any critical issues with it. If everything goes well, we can expect a
real 0.11 to follow quite soon after the beta1 testing period.

Thanks,

The Trac Team
----

> Unless anyone is planning on merging 0.12 stuff into trunk now we don't
> need to create a 0.11-stable branch until 0.11 is released. (This is the
> way it has been done in the past)

I think we should go on with the current way of integrating low-risk
change, for the next weeks on trunk, so that we can release 0.11 the
soonest. I don't see the need to start 0.12 before we release 0.11.

> And the tagging can wait until the actual release.

The 0.11b1 release you mean? Then OK. I think it'd be good to tag
trac-0.11b1 as we did for trac-0.10b1.

>> I had a try to build the bdist_wininst package, but bad luck, the .exe
>> didn't seem to install it in a way such that the require would work
>> afterwards. Running tracd.exe gave me:
>>
>> pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: Trac==0.11dev-r6333
>>

> Did you run "python setup.py egg_info" after editing the version number?

egg_info was done during bdist_wininst. Either I did something wrong or
it was the update that fixed it, but with the latest setuptools this now
works as expected. Thanks anyway!

-- Christian

Jonas Borgström

Dec 17, 2007, 5:18:22 PM12/17/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
Christian Boos wrote:

> Jonas Borgström wrote:
>> Christian Boos wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Another call for doing it a 0.11-beta1 release this Monday.
>>> I propose a freeze for the beta1 on revision r6333, if jonas and cmlenz
>>> are OK, they can set the version and tag it.
>>>

>> I can help with the actual release tomorrow or on Monday, but on Monday
>> I'm only free after business hours.
>>

> Ok, I've prepared the bdist_wininst installer and .zip files for Windows:

Noah and I ended up doing a "mini-sprint" to get the ctxtnav stuff ready
for beta1.
This work is now completed but the beta1 release will have to wait until
tomorrow to give some time for feedback on these changes.

Cheers,
Jonas

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven

Dec 18, 2007, 1:20:54 AM12/18/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com
-On [20071217 23:18], Jonas Borgström (jo...@edgewall.com) wrote:
>Noah and I ended up doing a "mini-sprint" to get the ctxtnav stuff ready
>for beta1.
>This work is now completed but the beta1 release will have to wait until
>tomorrow to give some time for feedback on these changes.

At this point I do not have a clear picture of the entire code base, so I
cannot say anything about it: hence +0.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
In every stone sleeps a crystal...

Christian Boos

Dec 18, 2007, 5:29:17 AM12/18/07
to trac...@googlegroups.com

I must say that after testing the branch this morning, I wasn't able to
find any issue, the conversion looks pretty complete and robust. Great
work, both of you! So I'm +1 for the merge.

There's also the s/req.warning(msg)/add_warning(req,msg)/ branch of osimons.
I considered doing it that way when adding the feature, but I was
somehow reluctant to go the 'add_' route and use the req.chrome
internals, which I didn't like so much. I wanted something more
"direct". But as it's more consistent with the req usage in this area,
doing things that way will probably make it easier to eventually improve
all of these at once. So I'm +1 on that as well.

-- Christian