including timeline excerpt from within a wiki page (intially from trac-users)

Danny

Dec 7, 2007, 4:10:43 PM12/7/07
to Trac Development
This was a post I initially placed on the trac-users group about
seeing if there was a way to include a Timeline excerpt in wiki
pages. Mostly it was to see if there was any ability to do that
already in Trac, and from reading about (Trac, Trachacks) there
doesn't seem to be.

The original thread from within trac-users is here: (
http://groups.google.com/group/trac-users/browse_frm/thread/b60918bfce4665f6
)

It was suggested that I simply write the macro myself. I'm looking
for ideas on this, as I'm not familiar with Python at all (Perl
person) and I know nothing of the Trac API. Though I'm nuts enough to
go learn bits of python as I go I'm very lost within Trac itself.

I've poked around in the internals but from what I can tell there are
only two trac.timeline.* modules, the TimelineModule and the
ITimelineEventProvider. I'm not certain, but I cannot seem to find
any modules that deal with the collective timeline data. The
TimelineModule seems to do the work of accessing the registered event
providers and then combining it all together howerver it seems tightly
bound to the cgi arguments? Not even sure how to access it from
within the context of my class ( a WikiMacroBase).

Any ideas, suggestions, guidance in implementing this would be greatly
appreciated!

--
Danny.