Building `sdist` Does Not Include Templates

David A. Riggs

Jan 12, 2011, 2:51:58 PM1/12/11
to Trac Development
I'm attempting to install (a very slightly-patched) Trac 0.12 SVN
branch (r10426) on another machine, and am trying to build a suitable
distributable on an OS X 10.6 box. When building with `python setup.py
sdist`, the produced tarball does not include Trac's templates.
However, when building with `python setup.py bdist_egg`, the .egg file
*does* include the templates.

Am I missing some step for building a source distribution or just
doing something stupid? t.e.o TracDev/ReleaseChecklist doesn't mention
any further steps.

Thanks!
- DR

Remy Blank

Jan 12, 2011, 5:31:10 PM1/12/11
to trac...@googlegroups.com
David A. Riggs wrote:
> I'm attempting to install (a very slightly-patched) Trac 0.12 SVN
> branch (r10426) on another machine, and am trying to build a suitable
> distributable on an OS X 10.6 box. When building with `python setup.py
> sdist`, the produced tarball does not include Trac's templates.

A quick try here produces a tarball that does include the templates. Are
you running the "sdist" command from an SVN checkout? Do you have
setuptools installed? Both are required for the command to find all the
files that should be part of the distribution package.

-- Remy

signature.asc

David A. Riggs

Jan 12, 2011, 11:04:34 PM1/12/11
to Trac Development
I've verified that `sdist` builds a correct source distribution on my
Debian Lenny box, but running the same command on the same SVN
revision generates a faulty source distribution on my Mac. Obviously
the problem is either with MY environment on this Mac or with Trac's
build on Mac. Here's my build environment details:

Mac OS X 10.6.4
Python 2.6.1
setuptools 0.6c9
Genshi 0.6
Babel 0.9.5

Here is a log of running `python setup.py sdist` on the Mac:

http://pastebin.com/EDcEEDh6

Here is a diff of the contents of the Debian-created source dist
versus the Mac-created one; in other words, these files are missing
from the Mac .tar.gz. As you can see, a very large number of files are
missing, and the Mac-created one seems to only include (some?) .py
files:

http://pastebin.com/MZtAu7gp

I "solved" the problem by building on the Debian box, which was my
deployment environment anyway, but I'd like to know why I can't get
the OS X machine to produce a source distribution - suggestions?
Thanks!

- DR

Remy Blank

Jan 13, 2011, 3:20:34 AM1/13/11
to trac...@googlegroups.com
David A. Riggs wrote:
> I've verified that `sdist` builds a correct source distribution on my
> Debian Lenny box, but running the same command on the same SVN
> revision generates a faulty source distribution on my Mac.

I can confirm this. My first test was on Linux, but on OS X 10.5.8 I get
the same behavior. That's with Python 2.6.6 and setuptools 0.6c11,
installed from MacPorts.

Could you please open a new ticket on trac.edgewall.org for this issue?
Thanks.

-- Remy

signature.asc

David A. Riggs