Problems with Win 7?

Chris Bania

Nov 13, 2009, 5:21:18 PM11/13/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I'm trying to install TortoiseSVN (32-bit version) on a Win 7 Home Premium machine.  The install appears clean and the machine has been re-booted (i've actually uninstalled & re-installed a few times now and tried a repair install), the apps in my program menu, but none of the context controls are available.  Any local setting changes I may need to make to the default Win 7 & explorer install?

Thanks,
Chris

Todd C. Gleason

Nov 13, 2009, 5:31:07 PM11/13/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Check whether you're running 64-bit Windows 7, and if so, install the 64-bit version of TortoiseSVN.

--Todd

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2417786

Bob Archer

Nov 13, 2009, 5:49:59 PM11/13/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> I'm trying to install TortoiseSVN (32-bit version) on a Win 7 Home
> Premium machine.  The install appears clean and the machine has
> been re-booted (i've actually uninstalled & re-installed a few
> times now and tried a repair install), the apps in my program menu,
> but none of the context controls are available.  Any local setting
> changes I may need to make to the default Win 7 & explorer install?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Are you sure that you are running the 32-bit OS and not 64-bit?

BOb

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2417792

Stefan Küng

Nov 14, 2009, 10:30:33 AM11/14/09
Chris Bania wrote:
> I'm trying to install TortoiseSVN (32-bit version) on a Win 7 Home
> Premium machine. The install appears clean and the machine has been
> re-booted (i've actually uninstalled & re-installed a few times now
> and tried a repair install), the apps in my program menu, but none of
> the context controls are available. Any local setting changes I may
> need to make to the default Win 7 & explorer install?

Make sure you right-click on a real folder. Library folders won't work
in the 1.6.x releases. If you want those to work too and get better
integration with Win7, you'll have to use a nightly build from trunk.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2417944

Jon

Nov 14, 2009, 11:11:45 PM11/14/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I seem to have a Win7 problem asin the initial post.

I have installed a 32bit version of Win7 and a 64 bit version of Win7
on two different laptops.

In each one I installed the latest Tortoise SVN (version 1.6.6).

I do not see the "SVN Checkout" when right clicking on a a regular
folder.

On the 64 bit machine I subsequently installed both 32 and 64,
rebooted, etc. Still no luck. So I am not able to use Tortoise/SVN at
all.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2418065

Jon

Nov 14, 2009, 11:14:52 PM11/14/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
As in the initial post, I have installed a 32bit version of Win7 and a
64 bit version of Win7 on two different laptops (Win7 Pro).

In each one I installed the latest Tortoise SVN (version 1.6.6) for
that machine.

I do not see the "SVN Checkout" when right clicking on a a regular

folder on either laptop.

On the 64 bit machine I subsequently installed both 32 and 64,
rebooted, etc. Still no luck.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2418066

Stefan Küng

Nov 15, 2009, 2:55:42 AM11/15/09
Jon wrote:
> As in the initial post, I have installed a 32bit version of Win7 and a
> 64 bit version of Win7 on two different laptops (Win7 Pro).
>
> In each one I installed the latest Tortoise SVN (version 1.6.6) for
> that machine.
>
> I do not see the "SVN Checkout" when right clicking on a a regular
> folder on either laptop.
>
> On the 64 bit machine I subsequently installed both 32 and 64,
> rebooted, etc. Still no luck.

Try a real folder from a drive, *not* from below a library folder.
If you want the library folders to work too, you have to use a nightly
build from trunk.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2418086

Jon

Nov 15, 2009, 1:57:48 PM11/15/09
On Nov 15, 2:55 am, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jon wrote:
> > As in the initial post, I have installed a 32bit version of Win7 and a
> > 64 bit version of Win7 on two different laptops (Win7 Pro).
>
> > In each one I installed the latest Tortoise SVN (version 1.6.6) for
> > that machine.
>
> > I do not see the "SVN Checkout" when right clicking on a a regular
> > folder on either laptop.
>
> > On the 64 bit machine I subsequently installed both 32 and 64,
> > rebooted, etc. Still no luck.
>
> Try a real folder from a drive, *not* from below a library folder.
> If you want the library folders to work too, you have to use a nightly
> build from trunk.
>
> Stefan

Right Clicking on a real folder from a drive e.g. c:\\Data does show
the the "SVN Checkout" item.

The lack of the context menu is both on a 32 bit Win7 laptop and the
64 bit laptop.

Jon

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2418191

Stefan Küng

Nov 15, 2009, 2:04:31 PM11/15/09
Jon wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2:55 am, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jon wrote:
>>> As in the initial post, I have installed a 32bit version of Win7 and a
>>> 64 bit version of Win7 on two different laptops (Win7 Pro).
>>> In each one I installed the latest Tortoise SVN (version 1.6.6) for
>>> that machine.
>>> I do not see the "SVN Checkout" when right clicking on a a regular
>>> folder on either laptop.
>>> On the 64 bit machine I subsequently installed both 32 and 64,
>>> rebooted, etc. Still no luck.
>> Try a real folder from a drive, *not* from below a library folder.
>> If you want the library folders to work too, you have to use a nightly
>> build from trunk.
>>
>> Stefan
>
> Right Clicking on a real folder from a drive e.g. c:\\Data does show
> the the "SVN Checkout" item.
>
> The lack of the context menu is both on a 32 bit Win7 laptop and the
> 64 bit laptop.

Find out which 'security' app you've installed on both of those machines
too and get rid of it.

There are a lot of users using TSVN on Win7 without any problems. So
there must be something on your machines that prevents TSVN from
working. Get rid of that, and you'll be fine.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2418194

Jon

Nov 15, 2009, 2:32:08 PM11/15/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> > The lack of the context menu is both on a 32 bit Win7 laptop and the
> > 64 bit laptop.
>
> Find out which 'security' app you've installed on both of those machines
> too and get rid of it.
>
> There are a lot of users using TSVN on Win7 without any problems. So
> there must be something on your machines that prevents TSVN from
> working. Get rid of that, and you'll be fine.
>
> Stefan

Thanks for the help Stefan; I appreciate the time you take to answer
the questions.

You are right about the security app. I am using Eset/Nod32 for virus
protection. I turned it off temporarily and now I get the context
menu. Hope this helps others with the same problem.

Many thanks

Jon

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2418202

Stefan Küng

Nov 15, 2009, 2:49:42 PM11/15/09
Jon wrote:
>>> The lack of the context menu is both on a 32 bit Win7 laptop and the
>>> 64 bit laptop.
>> Find out which 'security' app you've installed on both of those machines
>> too and get rid of it.
>>
>> There are a lot of users using TSVN on Win7 without any problems. So
>> there must be something on your machines that prevents TSVN from
>> working. Get rid of that, and you'll be fine.
>>
>> Stefan
>
> Thanks for the help Stefan; I appreciate the time you take to answer
> the questions.
>
> You are right about the security app. I am using Eset/Nod32 for virus
> protection. I turned it off temporarily and now I get the context
> menu. Hope this helps others with the same problem.

A piece of advice: get rid of that app completely.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2418203

Jon

Nov 15, 2009, 5:30:25 PM11/15/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> > Thanks for the help Stefan; I appreciate the time you take to answer
> > the questions.
>
> > You are right about the security app. I am using Eset/Nod32 for virus
> > protection. I turned it off temporarily and now I get the context
> > menu. Hope this helps others with the same problem.
>
> A piece of advice: get rid of that app completely.
>
> Stefan

I use it because it appears to be lightweight on CPU resources. Why do
you recommend getting rid of it? Also, is there a recommendation to
replace it with?

Thanks, Jon

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2418249

Andy Levy

Nov 15, 2009, 7:58:40 PM11/15/09
On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 17:30, Jon <sjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Thanks for the help Stefan; I appreciate the time you take to answer
>> > the questions.
>>
>> > You are right about the security app. I am using Eset/Nod32 for virus
>> > protection. I turned it off temporarily and now I get the context
>> > menu. Hope this helps others with the same problem.
>>
>> A piece of advice: get rid of that app completely.
>>
>> Stefan
>
> I use it because it appears to be lightweight on CPU resources. Why do
> you recommend getting rid of it? Also, is there a recommendation to
> replace it with?

Why does he recommend getting rid of it? For precisely the reason you
observed - it interferes with legitimate programs!

BTW, others *have* had this happen before, you'll find hits in the
mailing list archives on it.

Symantec (corporate) AV hasn't been too offensive to me, but avoid
their "home" type products at all costs.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2418303

Greywolf

Nov 16, 2009, 12:49:11 AM11/16/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
[Thus spake Andy Levy ("AL: ") 7:58pm...]

AL: Symantec (corporate) AV hasn't been too offensive to me, but avoid
AL: their "home" type products at all costs.

FWIW, I run with Avira AV, personal edition (free). It appears to work
well, and interferes with NOTHING for me.

--*greywolf;

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2418340

Simon Large

Nov 16, 2009, 4:34:17 AM11/16/09
2009/11/16 Greywolf <grey...@starwolf.com>:

> [Thus spake Andy Levy ("AL: ") 7:58pm...]
>
> AL: Symantec (corporate) AV hasn't been too offensive to me, but avoid
> AL: their "home" type products at all costs.
>
> FWIW, I run with Avira AV, personal edition (free).  It appears to work
> well, and interferes with NOTHING for me.

I run Avast! free edition at home and have no problems with it.

Simon

--
: ___

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2418399