TortoisePLink: DOS version in 1.5.0 release

Maddes

Jun 27, 2008, 9:42:33 AM6/27/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hello TortoiseSVN developers,

the TSVN release 1.5.0 contains the DOS/console version of TortoisePLink
again.
Releases 1.4.6 to 1.4.8 contained the Windows version of it.
Therefore I can not enter my password in a separate popup anymore.

The best way would be to provide both version of TortoisePLink as
separate downloads, similar to TDiff and SubWCRev on
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=138498&package_id=281312
This way everybody can use the flavour he wants, although I assume that
most people of TSVN need the Windows version.

Kind regards
Maddes

Stefan Küng

Jun 27, 2008, 11:58:11 AM6/27/08
Maddes wrote:
> Hello TortoiseSVN developers,
>
> the TSVN release 1.5.0 contains the DOS/console version of TortoisePLink
> again.
> Releases 1.4.6 to 1.4.8 contained the Windows version of it.
> Therefore I can not enter my password in a separate popup anymore.
>
> The best way would be to provide both version of TortoisePLink as
> separate downloads, similar to TDiff and SubWCRev on
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=138498&package_id=281312
>
> This way everybody can use the flavour he wants, although I assume that
> most people of TSVN need the Windows version.

Sorry, but that's not true: TSVN 1.5 does *not* contain the DOS/console
version of plink. It's still the patched version (called TortoisePlink)
which prevents showing the annoying DOS window.

Since TortoisePlink is based on Putty 0.60 instead of Putty 0.5x as in
TSVN 1.4.8, you might have to recrate your session keys to make this work.

Otherwise, have a look here:
http://groups.google.com/group/tortoisesvn/browse_thread/thread/e2a3a2bf96e8a778

As for providing both versions: why?
We provide TortoisePlink because that's the original plink with some
patches from us to prevent the DOS window from popping up for every
connection. If you need the console version however, just download putty
from the original place.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

signature.asc

matthias...@googlemail.com

Jun 28, 2008, 9:15:05 AM6/28/08

On 27 Jun., 17:58, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maddes wrote:
> > Hello TortoiseSVN developers,
>
> > the TSVN release 1.5.0 contains the DOS/console version of TortoisePLink
> > again.
> > Releases 1.4.6 to 1.4.8 contained the Windows version of it.
> > Therefore I can not enter my password in a separate popup anymore.
>
> > The best way would be to provide both version of TortoisePLink as
> > separate downloads, similar to TDiff and SubWCRev on
> >https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=138498&package...

> > This way everybody can use the flavour he wants, although I assume that
> > most people of TSVN need the Windows version.
>
> Sorry, but that's not true: TSVN 1.5 does *not* contain the DOS/console
> version of plink. It's still the patched version (called TortoisePlink)
> which prevents showing the annoying DOS window.
>
> Since TortoisePlink is based on Putty 0.60 instead of Putty 0.5x as in
> TSVN 1.4.8, you might have to recrate your session keys to make this work.
>
> Otherwise, have a look here:http://groups.google.com/group/tortoisesvn/browse_thread/thread/e2a3a...

> As for providing both versions: why?
> We provide TortoisePlink because that's the original plink with some
> patches from us to prevent the DOS window from popping up for every
> connection. If you need the console version however, just download putty
> from the original place.
>
> Stefan

I'm using Putty 0.60 for over a year, and I'm still using some keys
generated several years ago which work flawlessly to access
Sourceforge's shell. So it is not a key issue.

So please let me describe the problem with TortoisePlink from scratch
in another way:
The TortoisePlink of TSVN 1.5.0 doesn't show a separate window/popup
when asking for the user's or key's password.
In releases 1.4.6 to 1.4.8 it did show a separate popup.

As you changed the Putty base in TSVN 1.50 from Putty 0.5 to 0.6 it
may be that not all of your Plink modifications have been transferred
to the 0.6 code, or that your 0.5 changes are not enough for, or
fitting, to the 0.6 base.

Stefan, does your TortoisePlink of TSVN 1.5.0 prompt you for the
user's or key's password in a separate window/popup? (don't use
PAGEANT for this)
Here's the MD5 checksum of the version that is in the official release
(336896 bytes, date 09:00.30 2008-06-21):
d508784fca0dc9b3cb6a4b4bc983ba81 TortoisePlink.exe

Stefan Küng

Jun 28, 2008, 9:35:45 AM6/28/08
matthias...@googlemail.com wrote:

> I'm using Putty 0.60 for over a year, and I'm still using some keys
> generated several years ago which work flawlessly to access
> Sourceforge's shell. So it is not a key issue.
>
> So please let me describe the problem with TortoisePlink from scratch
> in another way:
> The TortoisePlink of TSVN 1.5.0 doesn't show a separate window/popup
> when asking for the user's or key's password.
> In releases 1.4.6 to 1.4.8 it did show a separate popup.
>
> As you changed the Putty base in TSVN 1.50 from Putty 0.5 to 0.6 it
> may be that not all of your Plink modifications have been transferred
> to the 0.6 code, or that your 0.5 changes are not enough for, or
> fitting, to the 0.6 base.
>
> Stefan, does your TortoisePlink of TSVN 1.5.0 prompt you for the
> user's or key's password in a separate window/popup? (don't use
> PAGEANT for this)
> Here's the MD5 checksum of the version that is in the official release
> (336896 bytes, date 09:00.30 2008-06-21):
> d508784fca0dc9b3cb6a4b4bc983ba81 TortoisePlink.exe

I just found out that the PuTTY developers have a time machine!
Because now, the available version on the website is 0.60beta. But I
remember that I've built TortoisePlink from version 0.60 (without beta).
I've downloaded the source to check whether I missed something important
when patching Plink. To my big surprise, a lot of code was different
from the code I used for TortoisePlink. That's when I got confused: how
can a beta version come out *after* the release version?
First I thought I read it wrong the last time I got the sourcecode. But
the internet archive agrees with me:
http://web.archive.org/web/20070827041616/http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html
The page from last year has the version 0.60 without beta, while the
page now has version 0.60beta as the version to use.

Does anyone know any of the PuTTY devs? I'd like to get my hands on
their time machine :)

That said:
can you please try the nightly build from here:
http://nightlybuilds.tortoisesvn.net/1.5.x/win32/
and check whether the issue is fixed?
Since the build is still running, please wait until the file dates on
the server change from 25-Jun-2008 to 28-Jun-2008.

signature.asc

matthias...@googlemail.com

Jun 28, 2008, 2:59:46 PM6/28/08

On 28 Jun., 15:35, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the internet archive agrees with me:http://web.archive.org/web/20070827041616/http://www.chiark.greenend....

> The page from last year has the version 0.60 without beta, while the
> page now has version 0.60beta as the version to use.
>
> Does anyone know any of the PuTTY devs? I'd like to get my hands on
> their time machine :)
>
> That said:
> can you please try the nightly build from here:http://nightlybuilds.tortoisesvn.net/1.5.x/win32/
> and check whether the issue is fixed?
> Since the build is still running, please wait until the file dates on
> the server change from 25-Jun-2008 to 28-Jun-2008.
>
> Stefan

Hi Stefan,

the new TortoisePlink of 1.5.0r13372 is working great again.
Tested all scenarios I could:
* Unknown server key
* Changed server key
* Key's password

I still suggest to provide TortoisePlink also as a separate tools
download, as it is very useful for other applications too (e.g.
TortoiseCVS)

Thanks for your fast help

Stefan Küng

Jun 29, 2008, 3:15:42 AM6/29/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
matthias...@googlemail.com wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> the new TortoisePlink of 1.5.0r13372 is working great again.
> Tested all scenarios I could:
> * Unknown server key
> * Changed server key
> * Key's password

Thanks for testing!

> I still suggest to provide TortoisePlink also as a separate tools
> download, as it is very useful for other applications too (e.g.
> TortoiseCVS)

To be honest, I'd rather have the PuTTY project provide such a client
themselves. But since that won't happen if people don't keep asking for
it on their mailing list, I don't like the idea of providing
TortoisePlink as a separate download.

signature.asc

matthias...@googlemail.com

Jun 29, 2008, 6:25:04 AM6/29/08

On 29 Jun., 09:15, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I still suggest to provide TortoisePlink also as a separate tools
> > download, as it is very useful for other applications too (e.g.
> > TortoiseCVS)
>
> To be honest, I'd rather have the PuTTY project provide such a client
> themselves. But since that won't happen if people don't keep asking for
> it on their mailing list, I don't like the idea of providing
> TortoisePlink as a separate download.

Mayb sending them the diff of your changes via their feedback page
would help:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/feedback.html#feedback-features

Maddes

P.S.:
If you get a hand on this time machine, please send me a mail :D
It really was a "final"/non-beta release last year. Their page is even
missing a link to the latest stable version.
But some mirror sites still provide older releases, e.g.
ftp://ftp.samurai.com/pub/putty/