BUG REPORT: merge a range of revisions

Erwin Schoonderwaldt

Aug 1, 2008, 3:51:14 AM8/1/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Apologies for double posting, but I did not get any reaction to my
previous e-mail. Just changed the format a little ;).

Version used:
TortoiseSVN 1.5.1, Build 13563 - 32 Bit , 2008/07/26 09:47:57

Action taken:
Attempted to merge a range of changes from a branch into the trunk.
Working copy corresponded to the trunk. Changed the url to merge from to
the branch containing the changes. Clicked the "show log" button.

Expected result:
A window comes up containing a list of revisions and log messages
corresponding to the revision history of the branch.

Actual result:
An error window pops up. After clicking "ok" the log window is empty.

Additional information:
In the repo browser there was no problem showing the content of the
branch, and from here the log was shown correctly. I included some
screenshots for clarification.

Best,
Erwin

Tortoise-bug-1.png
Tortoise-bug-2.png
Tortoise-bug-3.png

Stefan Küng

Aug 1, 2008, 9:44:20 AM8/1/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, Stefan....@etas.com

This is a problem with the log cache: if you disable the log cache in
the settings dialog, you can show the log just fine.

Stefan^2, can you please take a look a this?

to reproduce, you have to create a repository on a path with a space in
it, and then *inside* the repository you have to create another
directory which has a space in its name (so the full url has two spaces
in it, one outside the repository, one inside).

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

signature.asc

Erwin Schoonderwaldt

Aug 1, 2008, 10:05:03 AM8/1/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Thanks Stefan, now it works fine. Sorry for making a mess with all these
spaces in my url's ;).

Erwin

gecco

Aug 14, 2008, 5:40:15 AM8/14/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Same problem on my PC... and after disabling the log cache it's
working again...
Bug-Fix available for next version ?

Regards,
Kevin

On Aug 1, 4:05 pm, Erwin Schoonderwaldt <schoo...@kth.se> wrote:
> Thanks Stefan, now it works fine. Sorry for making a mess with all these
> spaces in my url's ;).
>
> Erwin
>

> Stefan Küng wrote:
> > Erwin Schoonderwaldt wrote:
> >> Apologies for double posting, but I did not get any reaction to my
> >> previous e-mail. Just changed the format a little ;).
>
> >> Version used:
> >> TortoiseSVN 1.5.1, Build 13563 - 32 Bit , 2008/07/26 09:47:57
>
> >> Action taken:

> >> Attempted tomergea range of changes from a branch into the trunk.

> >> Working copy corresponded to the trunk. Changed the url tomergefrom
> >> to the branch containing the changes. Clicked the "show log" button.
>
> >> Expected result:
> >> A window comes up containing a list of revisions and log messages
> >> corresponding to the revision history of the branch.
>
> >> Actual result:
> >> An error window pops up. After clicking "ok" the log window is empty.
>
> >> Additional information:
> >> In the repo browser there was no problem showing the content of the
> >> branch, and from here the log was shown correctly. I included some
> >> screenshots for clarification.
>
> > This is a problem with the log cache: if you disable the log cache in
> > the settings dialog, you can show the log just fine.
>
> > Stefan^2, can you please take a look a this?
>
> > to reproduce, you have to create a repository on a path with a space
> > in it, and then *inside* the repository you have to create another
> > directory which has a space in its name (so the full url has two
> > spaces in it, one outside the repository, one inside).
>
> > Stefan

Stefan Küng

Aug 14, 2008, 3:22:50 PM8/14/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, stefan.fuhrmann@etas.de >> Stefan Fuhrmann
gecco wrote:
> Same problem on my PC... and after disabling the log cache it's
> working again...
> Bug-Fix available for next version ?

Don't know. Depends on Stefan Fuhrmann: that's his part of the code :)

Stefan

signature.asc

Josha Foust

Aug 15, 2008, 12:52:53 PM8/15/08
Stefan Küng wrote:
> gecco wrote:
> > Same problem on my PC... and after disabling the log cache it's
> > working again...
> > Bug-Fix available for next version ?
>
> Don't know. Depends on Stefan Fuhrmann: that's his part of the code :)

I'm also seeing this problem. I don't have any spaces in my repo URL. I don't get an error message, but none of the show log buttons on the merge dialog display anything unless I turn off log caching.

Josha Foust

Stefan Küng

Aug 15, 2008, 12:57:11 PM8/15/08
Josha Foust wrote:
> Stefan Küng wrote:
>> gecco wrote:
>>> Same problem on my PC... and after disabling the log cache it's
>>> working again... Bug-Fix available for next version ?
>> Don't know. Depends on Stefan Fuhrmann: that's his part of the code
>> :)
>
> I'm also seeing this problem. I don't have any spaces in my repo
> URL. I don't get an error message, but none of the show log buttons
> on the merge dialog display anything unless I turn off log caching.

Then it's not really the same problem.
* What url are you using?
* did you read http://tortoisesvn.net/node/333 ?

Stefan

signature.asc

Josha Foust

Aug 15, 2008, 3:11:57 PM8/15/08
Stefan Küng wrote:
> Josha Foust wrote:
> > Stefan Küng wrote:
> >> Don't know. Depends on Stefan Fuhrmann: that's his part of the code
> >> :)
> >
> > I'm also seeing this problem. I don't have any spaces in my repo
> URL.
> > I don't get an error message, but none of the show log buttons on the
> > merge dialog display anything unless I turn off log caching.
>
> Then it's not really the same problem.
> * What url are you using?
> * did you read http://tortoisesvn.net/node/333 ?

I've checked the UUIDs, they are different for all of the entries in my Cached Repositories.

Actual (private) URL is:
https://svn.a-t-g.com/cadoc-banking/branches/Production or
https://svn.a-t-g.com/cadoc-banking/trunk

Also of note is that the Show Log buttons on the Working Copy sections of the Merge dialog do work, it's the URL ones that don't. One other interesting detail is that in the Tree merge section. If I select the revision radio button, type in a revision number and then click show log, it will show me log data up to that revision (as it does without the log cache).

Thanks,

Stefan Küng

Aug 16, 2008, 3:29:23 AM8/16/08
Josha Foust wrote:

>>> I don't get an error message, but none of the show log buttons on
>>> the merge dialog display anything unless I turn off log caching.
>> Then it's not really the same problem. * What url are you using? *
>> did you read http://tortoisesvn.net/node/333 ?
>
> I've checked the UUIDs, they are different for all of the entries in
> my Cached Repositories.
>
> Actual (private) URL is:
> https://svn.a-t-g.com/cadoc-banking/branches/Production or
> https://svn.a-t-g.com/cadoc-banking/trunk
>
> Also of note is that the Show Log buttons on the Working Copy
> sections of the Merge dialog do work, it's the URL ones that don't.
> One other interesting detail is that in the Tree merge section. If I
> select the revision radio button, type in a revision number and then
> click show log, it will show me log data up to that revision (as it
> does without the log cache).

I can't reproduce this, and I also can't see anything in the sourcecode
that would make the log dialog not show anything.
* Does it show an error message maybe instead of log entries?
* do you have the "stop on copy" checkbox enabled?
* if you clear the log cache (settings dialog), does it then show the
logs? Does it show the logs the second time (after they're cached)?

signature.asc

Josha Foust

Aug 19, 2008, 5:00:19 PM8/19/08
Stefan Küng wrote:

> >> Then it's not really the same problem. * What url are you using? *
> >> did you read http://tortoisesvn.net/node/333 ?
> >
> > I've checked the UUIDs, they are different for all of the entries in
> > my Cached Repositories.
> >
> > Actual (private) URL is:
> > https://svn.a-t-g.com/cadoc-banking/branches/Production or
> > https://svn.a-t-g.com/cadoc-banking/trunk
> >
> > Also of note is that the Show Log buttons on the Working Copy
> sections
> > of the Merge dialog do work, it's the URL ones that don't.
> > One other interesting detail is that in the Tree merge section. If I
> > select the revision radio button, type in a revision number and then
> > click show log, it will show me log data up to that revision (as it
> > does without the log cache).
>
> I can't reproduce this, and I also can't see anything in the sourcecode
> that would make the log dialog not show anything.
> * Does it show an error message maybe instead of log entries?
> * do you have the "stop on copy" checkbox enabled?
> * if you clear the log cache (settings dialog), does it then show the
> logs? Does it show the logs the second time (after they're cached)?

There are no error messages in message boxes or in the grid. The log dialog shows a date range of 2/7/2106 to 12/31/1969 and the grid has no entries. Stop on copy is enabled and checked. None of the checkbox states affect the issue.

I had deleted the log cache for the repo in question, without effect. After deleting them all it started working. I finally managed to reproduce this, but I'm not clear on how. It seems to have something to do with the following (written before I reproduced the issue). I'm attaching my Repositories.dat from during the time that the problem is occurring. I think it is the problem in some way.

---
I did notice one thing that confused me for quite a while until I figured out what was going on. Each instance of TortoiseProc.exe seems to maintain a copy of Repositories.dat in memory and then writes it out when the log dialog closes. This causes odd behavior in certain situations.

1. Clear out the log cache
2. Show log of repo A
3. Show log on repo B and then close the form
4. Close show log of repo A
5. Look at the cached repos in Settings

Repo B will show up as "URL not known."

Josha Foust