TortoiseSVN, WindowsXP SP3, https repositories

Paul R

Feb 1, 2009, 9:39:18 AM2/1/09
to public-users-6zjzXkf2F...@hugh.gmane.org
Dear readers and developers,

considering the thread below :

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/108791

which could be summarised as :

``On windows XP SP3, TSVN (stable version) will hang very often (but
not each time) when connecting to an https repository served by apache
+ SSL server. ''

This basically makes TortoiseSVN unusable with HTTPS repositories.
Please note that Tortoise itslef isn't the culprit as svn.exe shows the
same behaviour.

I was wondering if TSVN users on this list are experiencing the same
behaviour, and if they know how to fix it or at least work around it.

Thanks for your reports,

--
Paul

Silver Zachara

Feb 1, 2009, 10:29:32 AM2/1/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Paul R napsal(a):

> Dear readers and developers,
>
> considering the thread below :
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/108791
>
> which could be summarised as :
>
> ``On windows XP SP3, TSVN (stable version) will hang very often (but
> not each time) when connecting to an https repository served by apache
> + SSL server. ''
>
> This basically makes TortoiseSVN unusable with HTTPS repositories.
> Please note that Tortoise itslef isn't the culprit as svn.exe shows the
> same behaviour.
>
> I was wondering if TSVN users on this list are experiencing the same
> behaviour, and if they know how to fix it or at least work around it.
>
> Thanks for your reports,

I have used few months ago exactly the same configuration, but I have
certificate signed myself and using was without problems, so I can't
help you

--== Silver Zachara ==--
- pgp - http://radeonvmod.ic.cz/keys/silver....@gmail.com.asc -

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1085706

signature.asc

Paul R

Feb 1, 2009, 10:41:25 AM2/1/09
to users
Hi,

Paul> considering the thread below :
Paul>
Paul> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/108791>
Paul> which could be summarised as :
Paul>
Paul> ``On windows XP SP3, TSVN (stable version) will hang very often
Paul> (but not each time) when connecting to an https repository served
Paul> by apache + SSL server. ''
Paul>
Paul> This basically makes TortoiseSVN unusable with HTTPS repositories.
Paul> Please note that Tortoise itslef isn't the culprit as svn.exe
Paul> shows the same behaviour.
Paul>
Paul> I was wondering if TSVN users on this list are experiencing the
Paul> Paul > same behaviour, and if they know how to fix it or at least
Paul> work Paul > around it. Paul >

Silver> I have used few months ago exactly the same configuration, but
Silver> I have certificate signed myself and using was without problems,
Silver> so I can't help you

Yes, as explained in the thread, when the root CA isn't present on the
Windows XP system, the bug does not show up, so that explains why you
have not seen the bug. Thanks.

--
Paul

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1085743

Paul R

Feb 24, 2009, 9:43:25 AM2/24/09
to users
Hello,

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 15:39:18 +0100, Paul R said:
Paul> Dear readers and developers, considering the thread below :

Paul> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/108791

Paul> which could be summarised as :

Paul> ``On windows XP SP3, TSVN (stable version) will hang very often
Paul> (but not each time) when connecting to an https repository served
Paul> by apache + SSL server. ''

Paul> This basically makes TortoiseSVN unusable with HTTPS repositories.
Paul> Please note that Tortoise itslef isn't the culprit as svn.exe
Paul> shows the same behaviour.

Paul> I was wondering if TSVN users on this list are experiencing the
Paul> same behaviour, and if they know how to fix it or at least work
Paul> around it.

Paul> Thanks for your reports,

I would like to note, as a new data point, that the problem still shows
up with latest release of tsvn : 1.5.8.

I insist that the certificate must be valid and signed by a pre-trusted
authority (basicaly any authority preset in windows) for this bug to
show-up. Self-signed certificates (or certificates with root CA not in
the windows database of trusted CA, like ca-cert's), won't trigger the
bug.

--
Paul

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1220983

Simon Large

Feb 24, 2009, 10:04:57 AM2/24/09
2009/2/24 Paul R <paul...@gmail.com>:

> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 15:39:18 +0100, Paul R said:
> Paul> Dear readers and developers, considering the thread below :
>
> Paul>     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/108791
>
> Paul> which could be summarised as :
>
> Paul>   ``On windows XP SP3, TSVN (stable version) will hang very often
> Paul> (but not each time) when connecting to an https repository served
> Paul> by apache + SSL server. ''
>
> Paul> This basically makes TortoiseSVN unusable with HTTPS repositories.
> Paul> Please note that Tortoise itslef isn't the culprit as svn.exe
> Paul> shows the same behaviour.
>
> Paul> I was wondering if TSVN users on this list are experiencing the
> Paul> same behaviour, and if they know how to fix it or at least work
> Paul> around it.
>
> Paul> Thanks for your reports,
>
> I would like to note, as a new data point, that the problem still shows
> up with latest release of tsvn : 1.5.8.
>
> I insist that the certificate must be valid and signed by a pre-trusted
> authority (basicaly any authority preset in windows) for this bug to
> show-up. Self-signed certificates (or certificates with root CA not in
> the windows database of trusted CA, like ca-cert's), won't trigger the
> bug.

Thanks for the update, but you are sending it to the wrong place. If
this also happens with the svn command line client it is related to
the subversion libraries, not TSVN. You need to report this on the
subversion users list. Subversion 1.6 will be released in 2-3 weeks,
so if it is indeed a bug the chances of getting a fix into 1.6.0 are
now very slim.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1221084

Paul R

Feb 24, 2009, 10:48:40 AM2/24/09
to users
Hi Simon,

Simon> Thanks for the update, but you are sending it to the wrong place.
Simon> If this also happens with the svn command line client it is
Simon> related to the subversion libraries, not TSVN.

You are right, sorry if this is too off-topic. Initialy, I posted here
because this bug affects the windows version of svn, but most windows
users use svn through TortoiseSVN, so most users bitten by the bug will
see it through TortoiseSVN, not the svn.exe binary. I wanted to gather
as many data points as possible, so I posted it here.

Simon> You need to report this on the subversion users list. Subversion
Simon> 1.6 will be released in 2-3 weeks, so if it is indeed a bug the
Simon> chances of getting a fix into 1.6.0 are now very slim.

The thread below indicates that 1.6 has a fix for it, and I can confirm
that the latest binaries of svn.exe are not buggy.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/108791

TortoiseSVN nightly build does not trigger the bug either, this is the
good news, but the whole current 1.5.x serie does trigger the bug, and
this is the bad news.

Is there already a roadmap for the release of TSVN 1.6.0 please ?

Thank you,

--
Paul

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1221182

Simon Large

Feb 24, 2009, 11:03:59 AM2/24/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
2009/2/24 Paul R <paul...@gmail.com>:

> Hi Simon,
>
> Simon> Thanks for the update, but you are sending it to the wrong place.
> Simon> If this also happens with the svn command line client it is
> Simon> related to the subversion libraries, not TSVN.
>
> You are right, sorry if this is too off-topic. Initialy, I posted here
> because this bug affects the windows version of svn, but most windows
> users use svn through TortoiseSVN, so most users bitten by the bug will
> see it through TortoiseSVN, not the svn.exe binary. I wanted to gather
> as many data points as possible, so I posted it here.
>
> Simon> You need to report this on the subversion users list. Subversion
> Simon> 1.6 will be released in 2-3 weeks, so if it is indeed a bug the
> Simon> chances of getting a fix into 1.6.0 are now very slim.
>
> The thread below indicates that 1.6 has a fix for it, and I can confirm
> that the latest binaries of svn.exe are not buggy.
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/108791
>
> TortoiseSVN nightly build does not trigger the bug either, this is the
> good news, but the whole current 1.5.x serie does trigger the bug, and
> this is the bad news.
>
> Is there already a roadmap for the release of TSVN 1.6.0 please ?

Yep. A few days after svn 1.6.0, so Real Soon Now (TM).

Simon

--
: ___

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1221271