Desktop context menu whitespace

Zoggles

Nov 10, 2008, 3:01:33 AM11/10/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I have an interesting bug which seems to be related to TSVN, and only
affects the desktop context menu. Folder context menus etc don't have
the same problem.

In the desktop context menu on all TSVN related options, there is a
huge amount of white space inserted between the icon and textual
option - in some cases causing longer items in the menu to not be
fully shown and cut off on the right edge.

With TSVN uninstalled, all context menus appear as normal. Prior to
updating TSVN recently (maybe 1.5.3 - not sure when the problem
manifested itself) all was ok too. However, 1.5.4, and 1.5.5 both
cause this effect.

I uploaded a small png montage of the context menus in the files
section to show what I mean.

Any help much appreciated,

Yours,

-Z-

Stefan Küng

Nov 11, 2008, 6:21:58 AM11/11/08
Zoggles wrote:
> I have an interesting bug which seems to be related to TSVN, and only
> affects the desktop context menu. Folder context menus etc don't have
> the same problem.
>
> In the desktop context menu on all TSVN related options, there is a
> huge amount of white space inserted between the icon and textual
> option - in some cases causing longer items in the menu to not be
> fully shown and cut off on the right edge.
>
> With TSVN uninstalled, all context menus appear as normal. Prior to
> updating TSVN recently (maybe 1.5.3 - not sure when the problem
> manifested itself) all was ok too. However, 1.5.4, and 1.5.5 both
> cause this effect.
>
> I uploaded a small png montage of the context menus in the files
> section to show what I mean.

The reason for this problem is the context menu handler of your graphics
card driver (the one showing the menu entries "Graphics Options". That
is an ownerdrawn item (but not correctly implemented) and together with
TSVN's context menu handler, Windows gets confused.

Remove that "Graphics Options" handler, or try to configure it so that
it won't use ownerdrawn items.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

signature.asc

Zoggles

Nov 12, 2008, 6:15:12 AM11/12/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Thanks for the reply and I've done some digging into the registry and
removed the other context menu handler and tried turning on/off any
other ones using ShellExView, but still the same issue. It is still
the same as before only affecting those context menus outside of using
explorer (i.e. desktop) even when there is nothing other than default
windows context items other than TSVN.

It's not so bad when its just the normal context menu (right clicking
desktop) but when you right click a file and the menu gets filled up
with other context menus (winRar etc) most of those become impossible
to fully read.. and when you have to negotiate submenus which have all
been widened by this whitespace it can get rather awkward.

-Z-

(WinXP pro sp3, Intel 82945G graphics)

>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

Stefan Küng

Nov 12, 2008, 11:03:22 AM11/12/08
Zoggles wrote:
> Thanks for the reply and I've done some digging into the registry and
> removed the other context menu handler and tried turning on/off any
> other ones using ShellExView, but still the same issue. It is still
> the same as before only affecting those context menus outside of using
> explorer (i.e. desktop) even when there is nothing other than default
> windows context items other than TSVN.
>
> It's not so bad when its just the normal context menu (right clicking
> desktop) but when you right click a file and the menu gets filled up
> with other context menus (winRar etc) most of those become impossible
> to fully read.. and when you have to negotiate submenus which have all
> been widened by this whitespace it can get rather awkward.

Do you have WindowBlinds or some other skinning SW installed?

signature.asc

Zoggles

Nov 12, 2008, 9:07:44 PM11/12/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Nope.. and its a fresh OS install with all latest patches and drivers.
Just dev software like VS etc, various dev tools, office etc (and the
usual extra bits and pieces like acrobat, FF etc)

-Z-

sherifffruitfly

Nov 25, 2008, 10:56:35 PM11/25/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Same, I only got snark for response here.

On Nov 10, 12:01 am, Zoggles <zogg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an interesting bug which seems to be related to TSVN, and only

> affects the desktopcontextmenu. Foldercontextmenus etc don't have
> the same problem.
>
> In the desktopcontextmenuon all TSVN related options, there is a

> huge amount of white space inserted between the icon and textual

> option - in some cases causing longer items in themenuto not be

> fully shown and cut off on the right edge.
>

> With TSVN uninstalled, allcontextmenus appear as normal. Prior to

> updating TSVN recently (maybe 1.5.3 - not sure when the problem
> manifested itself) all was ok too. However, 1.5.4, and 1.5.5 both
> cause this effect.
>

> I uploaded a small png montage of thecontextmenus in the files

> section to show what I mean.
>
> Any help much appreciated,
>
> Yours,
>
> -Z-

Stefan Küng

Nov 26, 2008, 3:47:35 PM11/26/08
sherifffruitfly wrote:
> Same, I only got snark for response here.

I'm offended.

As I've mentioned and explained now several times on this list: this is
not a problem of TSVN but other shell extensions. I've never seen this
happening if only TSVN is installed. The problem comes from shell
extensions using ownerdrawn menus which are not implemented correctly.
Only if those extensions don't set the rectangle param (correctly) and
if they don't pass the verbs for each menu item will this happen. So
please either configure your extensions to not show icons (that will
usually result in them not using ownerdrawn anymore) or complain on
their mailing list/support.

signature.asc

sherifffruitfly

Nov 26, 2008, 4:07:17 PM11/26/08

On Nov 26, 12:47 pm, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sherifffruitfly wrote:
> > Same, I only got snark for response here.
>
> I'm offended.

And I still have the whitespace after removing the nvidia entry from
the menu.

And others get the bug without it being on the menu.

Anyone who gets the bug gets it *only* upon installing tsvn.
Uninstall it, and the behavior become as expected.

In essence, your "advice" taken to its logical conclusion amounts to:
(1) Remove ALL entries from the context menu. (2) Install tsvn, and
everything will be fine. Gee, thanks.

Installing tsvn turns my (and others') desktop context menu from a
good state to a bad state. Uninstalling tsvn turns my (and others')
desktop context menu from a bad state to a good state. Done - it's
tsvn.

Stefan Küng

Nov 26, 2008, 4:15:05 PM11/26/08
sherifffruitfly wrote:

> On Nov 26, 12:47 pm, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> sherifffruitfly wrote:
>>> Same, I only got snark for response here.
>> I'm offended.
>
> And I still have the whitespace after removing the nvidia entry from
> the menu.
>
> And others get the bug without it being on the menu.
>
> Anyone who gets the bug gets it *only* upon installing tsvn.
> Uninstall it, and the behavior become as expected.
>
> In essence, your "advice" taken to its logical conclusion amounts to:
> (1) Remove ALL entries from the context menu. (2) Install tsvn, and
> everything will be fine. Gee, thanks.
>
> Installing tsvn turns my (and others') desktop context menu from a
> good state to a bad state. Uninstalling tsvn turns my (and others')
> desktop context menu from a bad state to a good state. Done - it's
> tsvn.

Well, I didn't give a snark response. It just wasn't what you wanted to
hear.
You wanted to hear that we 'fix' this immediately. Problem is (see
above) that we *can't* fix it in TSVN.

Sure, we could change TSVN to not show any icons, or use ownerdrawn
menus which will revert the Vista menu to the old look and deal with
complaints from other users because of that...

signature.asc

sherifffruitfly

Nov 26, 2008, 4:26:22 PM11/26/08

On Nov 26, 1:15 pm, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sherifffruitfly wrote:

> >> I'm offended.
>
> > And I still have the whitespace after removing the nvidia entry from
> > the menu.
>
> > And others get the bug without it being on the menu.
>
> > Anyone who gets the bug gets it *only* upon installing tsvn.
> > Uninstall it, and the behavior become as expected.
>
> > In essence, your "advice" taken to its logical conclusion amounts to:
> > (1) Remove ALL entries from the context menu. (2) Install tsvn, and
> > everything will be fine. Gee, thanks.
>
> > Installing tsvn turns my (and others') desktop context menu from a
> > good state to a bad state. Uninstalling tsvn turns my (and others')
> > desktop context menu from a bad state to a good state. Done - it's
> > tsvn.
>
> Well, I didn't give a snark response. It just wasn't what you wanted to
> hear.
> You wanted to hear that we 'fix' this immediately. Problem is (see
> above) that we *can't* fix it in TSVN.

XP default desktop context menus with tsvn installed screenies
uploaded (1 and 2, depending on whether or not there's something to
undo).

Additionally, I hear that tsvn 1.4.(something) does not exhibit this
behavior. Congrats on your consistent ability to say "it's not tsvn"
with a straight face.

Simon Large

Nov 26, 2008, 4:58:49 PM11/26/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
2008/11/26 sherifffruitfly <sheriff...@gmail.com>:

In case anyone is wondering, these screenshots are only visible in the
google group uploaded files.

> Additionally, I hear that tsvn 1.4.(something) does not exhibit this
> behavior. Congrats on your consistent ability to say "it's not tsvn"
> with a straight face.

You missed quoting the very next sentence:

"Sure, we could change TSVN to not show any icons, or use ownerdrawn
menus which will revert the Vista menu to the old look and deal with
complaints from other users because of that..."

TSVN 1.4.x used the older ownerdrawn menus which caused the complaints
from Vista users in the first place, but did not show the whitespace
problem.

It seems from your screenshots that your context menu does not include
other ownerdrawn items, unless there is something hidden in the 'New'
submenu. Could this be caused by a video driver? I'm talking about the
driver itself rendering the context menu incorrectly, not a menu entry
for the driver.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

David Huang

Nov 26, 2008, 5:00:03 PM11/26/08

On Nov 26, 2008, at 3:26 PM, sherifffruitfly wrote:
> XP default desktop context menus with tsvn installed screenies
> uploaded (1 and 2, depending on whether or not there's something to
> undo).

Here's my desktop context menu. Windows XP SP3, TSVN 1.5.5. Looks fine
to me. But congrats on your consistent ability to say "it must be

tsvn" with a straight face.

with a straight face.

desktop_context_menu_works.png

sherifffruitfly

Nov 26, 2008, 5:19:07 PM11/26/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Ah - now I understand. It isn't a bug because not *every single* user
experiences it. That clarifies a lot - thanks!

(groan)

sherifffruitfly

Nov 26, 2008, 6:43:20 PM11/26/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
On Nov 26, 1:58 pm, "Simon Large" <simon.tortoise...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> 2008/11/26 sherifffruitfly <sherifffruit...@gmail.com>:

> It seems from your screenshots that your context menu does not include
> other ownerdrawn items, unless there is something hidden in the 'New'
> submenu.

I'm not "tricking" you. 3 files, cascadeX.png, showing all of my
cascaded menus, have been uploaded here.

> Could this be caused by a video driver? I'm talking about the
> driver itself rendering the context menu incorrectly, not a menu entry
> for the driver.

(facepalm)

It's not possible for me to prove a negative (that it's not every
single thing on earth *except* tsvn). It is only possible for me to
note how absurd the request is.

Do you know offhand where I can dl 1.4.something? Nevermind. I'll go
look for it myself.

David Huang

Nov 26, 2008, 6:48:58 PM11/26/08

On Nov 26, 2008, at 4:19 PM, sherifffruitfly wrote:
> Ah - now I understand. It isn't a bug because not *every single* user
> experiences it. That clarifies a lot - thanks!

Well, it could be a bug in TSVN, but you have provided absolutely no
evidence for that. The context menu is a shared resource, and it
certainly is possible for the bug to only show up when a certain
combination of context handlers are installed. Since it works for me,
there's obviously something different on your setup. You seem
unwilling to find out what's different though, and insist that it
*has* to be TSVN. Stefan knows the TSVN code and knows context menu
handlers, and he says there's no bug there. What reason do you have to
disbelieve him? The source code is available--if you think the bug is
in TSVN, feel free to point out where it is. Either that, or find out
what the difference is between your system and the vast majority of
working systems.
--
Name: Dave Huang | Mammal, mammal / their names are called /
INet: kh...@azeotrope.org | they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /

sherifffruitfly

Nov 26, 2008, 7:04:48 PM11/26/08
On Nov 26, 3:48 pm, David Huang <k...@azeotrope.org> wrote:
> Either that, or find out
> what the difference is between your system and the vast majority of
> working systems.

The true MS attitude. If it works for most, then it's not a bug.

It's all good. I got 1.4.8 - works fine - even with the most offensive
overdraws. It really should be noted that you're not supporting XP any
longer, in favor of Vista. If that had been mentioned, you never would
have heard from me.

sherifffruitfly

Nov 26, 2008, 7:00:48 PM11/26/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
On Nov 26, 3:48 pm, David Huang <k...@azeotrope.org> wrote:
> What reason do you have to
> disbelieve him?

The install took me from a good state to a bad state.

The uninstall took me from a bad state to a good state.

Andy Levy

Nov 26, 2008, 7:08:48 PM11/26/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 19:04, sherifffruitfly
<sheriff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 3:48 pm, David Huang <k...@azeotrope.org> wrote:
>> Either that, or find out
>> what the difference is between your system and the vast majority of
>> working systems.
>
> The true MS attitude. If it works for most, then it's not a bug.
>
> It's all good. I got 1.4.8 - works fine - even with the most offensive
> overdraws. It really should be noted that you're not supporting XP any
> longer, in favor of Vista.

Given that on the overwhelming majority of XP systems, this issue is
not appearing, then there is either A) something in TSVN that's
conflicting with something that's unique to your system or B)
something else on your system that's behaving improperly.

Andy Levy

Nov 26, 2008, 7:10:25 PM11/26/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 19:00, sherifffruitfly
<sheriff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 3:48 pm, David Huang <k...@azeotrope.org> wrote:
>> What reason do you have to
>> disbelieve him?
>
> The install took me from a good state to a bad state.
>
> The uninstall took me from a bad state to a good state.

And yet Stefan outlined at least one reasonable explanation for what
could be happening, in relation to a change that he made with 1.5 that
was a conscious, deliberate decision for the benefit of most users.

Have you followed up with your video card driver vendor? Vendors of
any other software that installs context menu extensions that you have
on your system?

David Huang

Nov 26, 2008, 7:19:01 PM11/26/08

On Nov 26, 2008, at 6:00 PM, sherifffruitfly wrote:

> On Nov 26, 3:48 pm, David Huang <k...@azeotrope.org> wrote:
>> What reason do you have to
>> disbelieve him?
>
> The install took me from a good state to a bad state.
>
> The uninstall took me from a bad state to a good state.

OK, that's a reason, but not a good one. Suppose a problem is caused
by having both software A and software B installed. You have software
A installed. No problem. You then install software B. Problem. You
uninstall software B. No problem. But then consider an alternate
scenario. You have software B installed. No problem. You then install
software A. Problem. You uninstall software A. No problem. With your
faulty logic, in scenario 1, you'd conclude that the root of the
problem is in B, but in scenario 2, you'd conclude that the root of
the problem is in A. But which is it?

You haven't refuted the strongest evidence that TSVN isn't the root of
the problem: someone who's has experience with context menu
extensions, and has experience with TSVN says that the problem is not
in TSVN. He has even provided a possible technical reason why TSVN
exposes the problem, without the problem being in TSVN: "Only if those

extensions don't set the rectangle param (correctly) and if they don't

pass the verbs for each menu item will this happen." Again, you don't
refute that--you only reiterate the claim that TSVN *must* be the
problem.

I really hope you're not a programmer, because if you are, you sound
like a really bad one.

--
Name: Dave Huang | Mammal, mammal / their names are called /
INet: kh...@azeotrope.org | they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
FurryMUCK: Dahan | dolphin and dog / koala bear and hog -- TMBG
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 33 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA
+ PL++

sherifffruitfly

Nov 26, 2008, 7:58:27 PM11/26/08
On Nov 26, 4:10 pm, "Andy Levy" <andy.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 19:00, sherifffruitfly

> Have you followed up with your video card driver vendor? Vendors of

> any other software that installs context menu extensions that you have
> on your system?

Of course not. That's asinine. I was simply being taken on a wild
goose chase through every single piece of software on my computer in a
futile effort to prove the negative. More likely, the point was to
tire me, since at no point would it ever be considered to look at tsvn
(because there's ALWAYS something else it could *theoretically* be).

It was made clear earlier that the decision was made to make it work
for Vista, which is just fine. Now I know. I'm fine with 1.4.8.

sherifffruitfly

Nov 26, 2008, 7:52:20 PM11/26/08
On Nov 26, 4:19 pm, David Huang <k...@azeotrope.org> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2008, at 6:00 PM, sherifffruitfly wrote:
>
> > On Nov 26, 3:48 pm, David Huang <k...@azeotrope.org> wrote:
> >> What reason do you have to
> >> disbelieve him?
>
> > The install took me from a good state to a bad state.
>
> > The uninstall took me from a bad state to a good state.
>
> OK, that's a reason, but not a good one. Suppose a problem is caused
> by having both software A and software B installed.

I acknowledge the impossibility proving the negative: that nothing
else anywhere in existence is causing interference.

You got me.

rofl. You guys slay me.

Andy Levy

Nov 26, 2008, 8:35:54 PM11/26/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 19:52, sherifffruitfly
<sheriff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 4:19 pm, David Huang <k...@azeotrope.org> wrote:

>> > The install took me from a good state to a bad state.
>>
>> > The uninstall took me from a bad state to a good state.
>>
>> OK, that's a reason, but not a good one. Suppose a problem is caused
>> by having both software A and software B installed.
>
> I acknowledge the impossibility proving the negative: that nothing
> else anywhere in existence is causing interference.

No, we're asking you to prove the positive. Does TSVN cause this
problem? Fully remove everything else that hooks into the Explorer
context menu. Does the same issue appear? My money's on "no". Which
would prove that it is not TSVN causing the problem - it's merely
demonstrating to you that it exists.

David Huang

Nov 26, 2008, 8:47:03 PM11/26/08

On Nov 26, 2008, at 6:58 PM, sherifffruitfly wrote:
> It was made clear earlier that the decision was made to make it work
> for Vista, which is just fine. Now I know. I'm fine with 1.4.8.

It works perfectly on both Vista and XP. It's Windows 2000 that's
affected by the change—the icons are completely gone now.

w2k.png

Greywolf

Nov 27, 2008, 3:46:10 AM11/27/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Simon Large

Nov 27, 2008, 6:42:02 AM11/27/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, sheriff...@gmail.com
2008/11/26 sherifffruitfly <sheriff...@gmail.com>:

> On Nov 26, 1:58 pm, "Simon Large" <simon.tortoise...@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> 2008/11/26 sherifffruitfly <sherifffruit...@gmail.com>:
>
>> It seems from your screenshots that your context menu does not include
>> other ownerdrawn items, unless there is something hidden in the 'New'
>> submenu.
>
> I'm not "tricking" you. 3 files, cascadeX.png, showing all of my
> cascaded menus, have been uploaded here.

I never suggested you were. I was actually agreeing with your claim
that it doesn't seem to be anything else in the context menu. Unless
there is an interaction with WinZip, but that seems unlikely given the
widespread use that Winzip gets.

>> Could this be caused by a video driver? I'm talking about the
>> driver itself rendering the context menu incorrectly, not a menu entry
>> for the driver.
>
> (facepalm)
>
> It's not possible for me to prove a negative (that it's not every
> single thing on earth *except* tsvn). It is only possible for me to
> note how absurd the request is.

It isn't an absurd request and I didn't ask you to prove anything, I'm
just asking the question to the list in general because I don't know
the answer. However it is entirely possible that a video driver
doesn't implement a feature correctly. Does NVidia have an updated
driver on its site?

The point is that there are thousands of TSVN users and only a handful
are seeing this problem, so there must be something different in
your/their systems. None of the developers here see it, so the only
possible way to find out what is happening is to ask the people who do
see it to try to find out what is different about their system that
provokes this problem. I'm not even saying it isn't TSVN, I'm just
looking for more information to track down the root cause. If it turns
out to be fixable in TSVN we will fix it. If it is caused by something
else we can advise others who see the same problem what they can do
about it. But at the moment we don't have that information. Your
screenshots are part of the tracking down process, so thanks for
those, but it doesn't get us to the finishing post.

Your attitude seems to be "Its is a TSVN bug, fix it". Our attitude is
"We don't know where the bug is because we can't reproduce it; you
can, so please help us track it down". If you are willing to keep
trying things out then great, we may get there (but no guarantees of
course). If not, then you will have to stick with 1.4 until someone
else is able to help find the cause.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

Stefan Küng

Nov 27, 2008, 12:29:28 PM11/27/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 01:52, sherifffruitfly
<sheriff...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 4:19 pm, David Huang <k...@azeotrope.org> wrote:

>> > The install took me from a good state to a bad state.
>>
>> > The uninstall took me from a bad state to a good state.
>>
>> OK, that's a reason, but not a good one. Suppose a problem is caused
>> by having both software A and software B installed.
>
> I acknowledge the impossibility proving the negative: that nothing
> else anywhere in existence is causing interference.
>
> You got me.
>
> rofl. You guys slay me.

Create the registry DWORD value
HKCU\Software\TortoiseSVN\ShowContextMenuIcons, then set the value to
0.
This will make TSVN not show any icons, which will 'fix' the issue
you're seeing.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

Kevin Chang

Dec 30, 2008, 8:54:21 PM12/30/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> It works perfectly on both Vista and XP. It's Windows 2000 that's
> affected by the change—the icons are completely gone now.

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I believe this is related.

Using 1.5.6.14908-x64 under Windows 2008 Server Enterprise x64, I seem
to have the same issue.

http://i39.tinypic.com/33p8277.png

-Kevin

Stefan Kueng

Dec 31, 2008, 4:15:48 AM12/31/08
Kevin Chang wrote:
>> It works perfectly on both Vista and XP. It's Windows 2000 that's
>> affected by the change—the icons are completely gone now.
>
> Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I believe this is related.
>
> Using 1.5.6.14908-x64 under Windows 2008 Server Enterprise x64, I seem
> to have the same issue.

Create the registry key HKCU\Software\TortoiseSVN\ShowContextMenuIcons
and set the DWORD value to 0.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=996720

signature.asc

Kevin Chang

Dec 31, 2008, 4:18:25 AM12/31/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> Create the registry key HKCU\Software\TortoiseSVN\ShowContextMenuIcons
> and set the DWORD value to 0.

Thanks for the workaround. That at least saves me the trouble of
enabling the shell extension when I need to update or commit something
then disabling it again afterwards...

However, that's still a workaround and not a solution -- will there be
one in a coming version? Or is origin of the issue still unknown as of now?

-Kevin

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=996726

Stefan Kueng

Dec 31, 2008, 7:24:39 AM12/31/08
Kevin Chang wrote:
>> Create the registry key HKCU\Software\TortoiseSVN\ShowContextMenuIcons
>> and set the DWORD value to 0.
>
> Thanks for the workaround. That at least saves me the trouble of
> enabling the shell extension when I need to update or commit something
> then disabling it again afterwards...
>
> However, that's still a workaround and not a solution -- will there be
> one in a coming version? Or is origin of the issue still unknown as of now?

We know the origin: other shell extensions that implement the ownerdrawn
menus incorrectly.
So, the workaround works and there's nothing we can do to fix other
shell extensions.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=996870

signature.asc

scouase...@hotmail.com

Feb 9, 2009, 6:59:47 PM2/9/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Another solution is to remove the entiries from here for tortoise.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell

This will only effect the desktop context menu

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1131134

scouset...@hotmail.com

Feb 9, 2009, 7:00:37 PM2/9/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Another solution is to remove the entiries from here for tortoise.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell

This will only effect the desktop context menu

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1131136

Stefan Küng

Feb 10, 2009, 2:15:27 PM2/10/09
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 01:00, <scouset...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Another solution is to remove the entiries from here for tortoise.
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell
>
> This will only effect the desktop context menu

And every other folder background.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1135681

Ethan McKinney

Jan 29, 2010, 2:43:30 PM1/29/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Create the registry DWORD value
HKCU\Software\Tort​oiseSVN\ShowContext​MenuIcons, then set the value to
0.
This will make TSVN not show any icons, which will 'fix' the issue
you're seeing.

This was originally suggested for Win2000. Does it work for XP as well?

Below includes hardware and software details. Anyone know how to try to get Intel to fix something like this? It's way outside my area of expertise.

Bug report I drafted before finally finding the previous report (which doesn't seem as serious as my problem).

I right-clicked my desktop to get the context menu for graphics properties (exteneded desktop, physical layout, primary monitor, and so forth), screen rotation, and/or TortoiseSVN.

I expected the context menu to look normal, with all of the text readable.

The text was pushed way to the right, as if there were immense right margins. Roughly four characters fit, they overlie any "more options in a sub-menu this way" arrowheads, and the rest of the text wasn't there (no visible spill-over outside of the white area of the context menu). Screenshot attached.

Computer: Dell 610

CPU: Intel Pentium M 1.60GHz

Graphics card: Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset Family

Driver Version: 6.14.10.4609
Driver Date: 6/6/2006

OS: Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP2

Context menu-related software: I have an Intel graphics card, with the associated software, that supports extended desktop across two monitors. I also have Samsung Magic Rotation software installed to support my SyncMaster 204B monitor, which (not suprisingly), rotates (mostly landscape to portrait). It adds five items to the context menu:
Rotate (applies a 90 degree counter-clockwise rotation from the current position)
90 (rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise from the normal landscape orientation, which supports regular landscape moder (the physical monitor rotates clockwise)
180 (rotated 180 CCW)
270 (rotated 270 CCW)

Ethan McKinney
Desktop_context_menu_smooshed_text.jpg

Stefan Küng

Jan 29, 2010, 2:54:23 PM1/29/10
On 29.01.2010 20:43, Ethan McKinney wrote:
> Create the registry DWORD value
> HKCU\Software\Tort​oiseSVN\ShowContext​MenuIcons, then set the value to
> 0.
> This will make TSVN not show any icons, which will 'fix' the issue
> you're seeing.
> This was originally suggested for Win2000. Does it work for XP as well?

Estimated time for you to write this email: at least 3 minutes.
Estimated time for you to actually create the registry key and right
click on the desktop to check whether it works: half a minute.

Seriously: just try it.

And yes, it should work. But:

> Below includes hardware and software details. Anyone know how to try to

[snip]

> I also have Samsung Magic Rotation software installed to support my
> SyncMaster 204B monitor, which (not suprisingly), rotates (mostly
> landscape to portrait). It adds five items to the context menu:

You should complain with the Samsung developers about that. Or better
yet, their marketing people. Adding such a big image to the context menu
which isn't even clickable I consider spam - there's no reason to show a
stupid ad (yes, that's an ad!) to a context menu.

As Raymond Chen would say: "I bet somebody got a really nice bonus for
that feature."
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/11/01/922449.aspx

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443143

Ethan McKinney

Jan 29, 2010, 4:37:46 PM1/29/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> Estimated time for you to actually create the registry key and right click on the desktop to check whether it works: half a minute.

I'm not a developer. I don't screw with Registry entries unless I know that they're going to work. Especially because this is the company's computer, not mine.

I thought that providing specifics on possible conflicts could be useful. For example, a list somewhere of "if you have X installed, you're going to see this error" would save you (and others) a lot of time answering/arguing about the same problem in the mailing lists. It's really not necessary to reply this way.

> Below includes hardware and software details. Anyone know how to try
[snip]
> I also have Samsung Magic Rotation software installed to support my
> SyncMaster 204B monitor, which (not suprisingly), rotates (mostly
> landscape to portrait). It adds five items to the context menu:

You should complain with the Samsung developers about that. Or better yet, their marketing people. Adding such a big image to the context menu which isn't even clickable I consider spam - there's no reason to show a stupid ad (yes, that's an ad!) to a context menu.

As Raymond Chen would say: "I bet somebody got a really nice bonus for that feature."
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/11/01/922449.aspx

Certainly. But I don't have any idea where to submit a request/complaint/bug report where someone from Samsung might actually pay attention.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443179

Ethan McKinney

Jan 29, 2010, 4:49:50 PM1/29/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
It didn't work. Does this require a reboot?

I've attached a screenshot of the registry editor so that you can check my work. Did I misunderstand the location that the DWORD needs got? The value is hexadecimal, is that OK?

> HKCU\Software\Tort​oiseSVN\ShowContext​MenuIcons, then set the value
> to 0.
> This will make TSVN not show any icons, which will 'fix' the issue
> you're seeing.
> This was originally suggested for Win2000. Does it work for XP as well?

Estimated time for you to write this email: at least 3 minutes.
Estimated time for you to actually create the registry key and right click on the desktop to check whether it works: half a minute.

Seriously: just try it.

And yes, it should work.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443181

Andy Levy

Jan 29, 2010, 4:52:18 PM1/29/10
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 16:37, Ethan McKinney <eth...@broadcom.com> wrote:
>> Estimated time for you to actually create the registry key and right click on the desktop to check whether it works: half a minute.
>
> I'm not a developer. I don't screw with Registry entries unless I know that they're going to work. Especially because this is the company's computer, not mine.

Had you read the whole thread, you'd see that it's confirmed to work.
I didn't see anyone report that it doesn't work.

> I thought that providing specifics on possible conflicts could be useful. For example, a list somewhere of "if you have X installed, you're going to see this error" would save you (and others) a lot of time answering/arguing about the same problem in the mailing lists. It's really not necessary to reply this way.

This project cannot possibly maintain a comprehensive list of what's
compatible and what's not. To my knowledge, there is only one specific
piece of software which is documented as "not compatible" (certain
versions of PowerDesk), and then a general class of software which
*may* conflict - software which screws around with your context menus
with ridiculously large icons.

But to attempt to keep up with every display driver vendor and version
to track which versions cause this and which don't is just madness.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443184

Stefan Küng

Jan 29, 2010, 4:54:23 PM1/29/10
On 29.01.2010 22:49, Ethan McKinney wrote:
> It didn't work. Does this require a reboot?

No, but a wait of five seconds after the registry key is created.

> I've attached a screenshot of the registry editor so that you can check my work. Did I misunderstand the location that the DWORD needs got? The value is hexadecimal, is that OK?

I think you forgot to attach the screenshot? I can't see it in your email?

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443185

Ethan McKinney

Jan 29, 2010, 5:20:19 PM1/29/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Trying not to devolve into a pointless argument...

I read every message in the thread. The discussion in the thread was about Windows 2000. I have XP. I don't claim to have even a vague understanding of the registry. I can only follow idiot-instructions.

Anyhow, it didn't work for me (posted two minutes ahead of your reply, so they probably crossed in cyberspace). I have not been rude to anyone. I have been straight-forward about my knowledge level, not pretending to know things that I don't. Please be polite to me.

>> Estimated time for you to actually create the registry key and right click on the desktop to check whether it works: half a minute.
>
> I'm not a developer. I don't screw with Registry entries unless I know that they're going to work. Especially because this is the company's computer, not mine.

Had you read the whole thread, you'd see that it's confirmed to work.
I didn't see anyone report that it doesn't work.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443191

Ethan McKinney

Jan 29, 2010, 5:21:26 PM1/29/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
It still doesn't work (more than 5 seconds elapsed). :)

Sorry about the screenshot. Memory loss.

On 29.01.2010 22:49, Ethan McKinney wrote:
> It didn't work. Does this require a reboot?

No, but a wait of five seconds after the registry key is created.

> I've attached a screenshot of the registry editor so that you can check my work. Did I misunderstand the location that the DWORD needs got? The value is hexadecimal, is that OK?

I think you forgot to attach the screenshot? I can't see it in your email?

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443192

Registry-TortoiseSVN.png

Stefan Küng

Jan 29, 2010, 5:24:25 PM1/29/10
On 29.01.2010 23:20, Ethan McKinney wrote:
> Trying not to devolve into a pointless argument...
>
> I read every message in the thread. The discussion in the thread was
> about Windows 2000. I have XP. I don't claim to have even a vague
> understanding of the registry. I can only follow idiot-instructions.
>
> Anyhow, it didn't work for me (posted two minutes ahead of your
> reply, so they probably crossed in cyberspace). I have not been rude
> to anyone. I have been straight-forward about my knowledge level, not
> pretending to know things that I don't. Please be polite to me.

I'm sorry if my mail seemed rude to you. All I wanted to say was that
it's easier to try things yourself first before asking. It's not
dangerous to try things - it is human nature to be curious, just give in
to that curiosity :)

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443194

Stefan Küng

Jan 29, 2010, 5:28:33 PM1/29/10
On 29.01.2010 23:21, Ethan McKinney wrote:
> It still doesn't work (more than 5 seconds elapsed). :)
>
> Sorry about the screenshot. Memory loss.

The registry entry looks ok.
Are the TSVN icons still shown?
If not and you still get a messed up context menu, then there's nothing
we can do about that. Sorry.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443196

Simon Large

Jan 29, 2010, 5:32:19 PM1/29/10
On 29 January 2010 22:28, Stefan Küng <torto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29.01.2010 23:21, Ethan McKinney wrote:
>> It still doesn't work (more than 5 seconds elapsed).  :)
>>
>> Sorry about the screenshot. Memory loss.
>
> The registry entry looks ok.
> Are the TSVN icons still shown?
> If not and you still get a messed up context menu, then there's nothing
> we can do about that. Sorry.

In the past when people have had insoluble problems with icon
alignment it has been linked to another shell extension. In this case
Magic Rotation looks likely to be the culprit. It seems not every
shellex follows the rules, and looks fine by itself but causes
conflicts with other shellex apps.

Try uninstalling MR temporarily and see if it starts working. If so,
not sure what the solution is unless Samsung has an updated driver.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443197

Stefan Küng

Jan 29, 2010, 5:32:39 PM1/29/10
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 23:28, Stefan Küng <torto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29.01.2010 23:21, Ethan McKinney wrote:
>>
>> It still doesn't work (more than 5 seconds elapsed).  :)
>>
>> Sorry about the screenshot. Memory loss.
>
> The registry entry looks ok.
> Are the TSVN icons still shown?
> If not and you still get a messed up context menu, then there's nothing we
> can do about that. Sorry.

On another note: what version of TSVN are you using? You didn't
mention that in your post before.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443198

Ethan McKinney

Jan 29, 2010, 5:54:55 PM1/29/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
TSVN icons still appear.

I'm using:

TortoiseSVN 1.6.7, Build 18415 - 32 Bit , 2010/01/22 17:55:06
Subversion 1.6.9,
apr 1.3.8
apr-utils 1.3.9
neon 0.29.3
OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25 Mar 2009
zlib 1.2.3

On 29.01.2010 23:21, Ethan McKinney wrote:
> It still doesn't work (more than 5 seconds elapsed). :)
>
> Sorry about the screenshot. Memory loss.

The registry entry looks ok.
Are the TSVN icons still shown?
If not and you still get a messed up context menu, then there's nothing we can do about that. Sorry.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443201

Stefan Küng

Jan 29, 2010, 6:01:17 PM1/29/10
On 29.01.2010 23:54, Ethan McKinney wrote:
> TSVN icons still appear.

That shouldn't happen.
It's not clear from the screenshot, but make sure you don't have a space
before/after the ShowContextMenuIcons entry name.
(i.e., the key name must not have a space before/after it).

Just tried it on my own system. When I set the key value to 0, the icons
are gone. So it should work.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443211

Ethan McKinney

Jan 29, 2010, 6:53:45 PM1/29/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Worked! There must have been a space there.

Too bad about the cute little icons. :( The color-coding of the main ones really helped.

Follow-up: if I want to switch this on and off, do I need to open the registry editor and delete the DWORD entry or is there some sort of shortcut that I can set up (at least to get me to the right place in the registry editor without having to open one folder after another)? [I know that I'm getting off-topic here and eating up peoples' time, so I don't expect an answer. If your answer will be, "figure it out," just don't post. If you don't have time to waste on answering, don't post. If you do answer, you get a gold star. :) ]

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443215

Stefan Küng

Jan 30, 2010, 2:25:49 AM1/30/10
On 30.01.2010 00:53, Ethan McKinney wrote:
> Worked! There must have been a space there.
>
> Too bad about the cute little icons. :( The color-coding of the
> main ones really helped.
>
> Follow-up: if I want to switch this on and off, do I need to open the
> registry editor and delete the DWORD entry or is there some sort of
> shortcut that I can set up (at least to get me to the right place in
> the registry editor without having to open one folder after another)?
> [I know that I'm getting off-topic here and eating up peoples' time,
> so I don't expect an answer. If your answer will be, "figure it out,"
> just don't post. If you don't have time to waste on answering, don't
> post. If you do answer, you get a gold star. :) ]

The registry editor allows you to export keys to a file. If you save
that file with a *.reg extension, you can then double click on that file
to add/set that registry entries to the registry.
Do it once with the value set to 0 (to disable the icons) and once with
the value set to 1 (to enable the icons again).

You can then just doubleclick on the corresponding reg file to
enable/disable the icons.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443244

Helder Magalhães

Feb 1, 2010, 6:14:48 AM2/1/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Z,

Sorry for arriving late to this thread.

> In the desktop context menu on all TSVN
> related options, there is a huge amount
> of white space inserted between the icon
> and textual option [...]

I had a similar issue to this one. When I was about to blame TSVN for that, I updated my TortoiseHg version. I guess that *was* the causer for this issue, although I also updated TortoiseCVS (to the latest beta) a few days before so it could also be it.

I was experiencing this in Windows Vista SP2 and, since these updates, I don't recall seeing the visual glitch anymore. :-)

My software versions:
* TortoiseCVS: 1.11.3 unstable;
* TortoiseHg: 0.9.1.1;
* TortoiseSVN: 1.6.7.

Hope this helps,
Helder

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2443764

Ethan McKinney

Feb 4, 2010, 4:24:15 PM2/4/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Thanks! This worked like a charm.

Hopefully, people will be able to find this when they search.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2444993