unassociate files with repository

Brian FitzGerald

Jul 12, 2008, 3:09:05 AM7/12/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi! I am a new TortoiseSVN user, and I have searched the Web and the
FAQ at http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ without much luck with this
problem. Thank you in advance for any insight you may be able to
offer.

Here's a quick rundown:

1) First, I successfully ran a "checkout" and grabbed files from
someone else's repository.

2) Next, I moved some of these files into another directory so I could
commit them to a different repository (my own)

3) My problem is, when I try to commit the files, the system wants to
commit them to the original repository they were grabbed from, and not
my repository.

4) My question is, is there a way to "unassociate" the files with the
original repository so that I can add and commit them to my own
repository instead?

Thanks again for your thoughts,
Brian

Stefan Küng

Jul 12, 2008, 3:12:04 AM7/12/08
Brian FitzGerald wrote:
> Hi! I am a new TortoiseSVN user, and I have searched the Web and the
> FAQ at http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ without much luck with this
> problem. Thank you in advance for any insight you may be able to
> offer.
>
> Here's a quick rundown:
>
> 1) First, I successfully ran a "checkout" and grabbed files from
> someone else's repository.
>
> 2) Next, I moved some of these files into another directory so I could
> commit them to a different repository (my own)
>
> 3) My problem is, when I try to commit the files, the system wants to
> commit them to the original repository they were grabbed from, and not
> my repository.
>
> 4) My question is, is there a way to "unassociate" the files with the
> original repository so that I can add and commit them to my own
> repository instead?

There are hidden '.svn' folders in every working copy folder. If you
just copied some folders from one working copy to another, you also
copied those folders.

Instead of copying those folders, right-drag them in Explorer, then
choose "SVN Export" from the context menu.

Or you could manually delete the hidden .svn folders...

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

signature.asc

Brian FitzGerald

Jul 12, 2008, 3:21:08 AM7/12/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Brilliant! Yeah, that right click drag > "SVN Export" was exactly
what I needed. I was deleting the hidden SVN folders manually before
I originally posted, but when I got to the 50th one, I figured there
had to be a better way ;)

Thank your very much Stefan!