Windows 7, Can't check out project

mrpc.cambodia

Nov 11, 2009, 5:47:03 AM11/11/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Hello,

On windows 7 Ultimate, I can’t check out SVN project, upon clicking checkout project…, it shows a dialog where I put in the project URL and then require me to type in user name and password, after that  the dialog just hangs there, with message the bottom “639 bytes transferred, at 0 bytes/s”.

Please help,

checkout.jpg

Stefan Küng

Nov 11, 2009, 1:48:19 PM11/11/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Maybe this here is relevant?
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2415169

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

mrpc.cambodia

Nov 11, 2009, 9:51:15 PM11/11/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Thank Stefan Küng for your comment.

I’ve tried all possible configuration options on the link that you provided, but nothing works for my scenario.

Kind regards,

Mrpc_cambodia

bladzok

Nov 23, 2009, 4:53:45 PM11/23/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I have the same problem. I have installed Windows 7 and when I do an
update I get the message "609 Bytes transferred, at 0 Bytes/s" and it
just hangs there. Eventually after 2 min or 7 min or somewhere in
between it does the update. Commits sometimes go through - today I
gave up after about 15min.

I also tried changing all the TCP settings in the link above, but
absolutely no change.

Its very frustrating - especially the commits. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2423601

bladzok

Nov 24, 2009, 1:42:12 AM11/24/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I'm using version:

TortoiseSVN 1.6.6, Build 17493 - 32 Bit , 2009/10/19 20:22:18

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2423686

bladzok

Nov 25, 2009, 9:08:56 AM11/25/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Downloaded some Windows 7 updates today (Update for Windows 7
(KB976098)) - which fixes daylight saving issues and now my tortoise
svn is working great. Not sure what changed - that's the frustrating
part :(

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2424259

Morinu

Dec 1, 2009, 12:44:23 AM12/1/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I have the same issue but the update didn't fix it. I am running on XP
Mode and it works but it is a pain. Does anyone have a suggestion to
how to fix this?

Thanks,
Morinu

On Nov 25, 6:08 am, bladzok <blad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Downloaded some Windows 7 updates today (Update for Windows 7
> (KB976098)) - which fixes daylight saving issues and now my tortoise
> svn is working great.  Not sure what changed - that's the frustrating
> part :(
>

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2425772

NOUV Sophat

Dec 2, 2009, 6:32:18 AM12/2/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Hello,

I still have the same problem, even after installing the windows update. I think this issue happens to a lot of SVN user. SVN team please takes a serious look on this issue.

Hope I can get a solution soon.

Stefan Küng

Dec 2, 2009, 3:11:51 PM12/2/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

We can only take a look if we can reproduce it. Since none of the TSVN
devs has this problem, it must be something on your end that's not
working properly.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2426452

Osama Askari

Dec 7, 2009, 2:53:38 PM12/7/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I have the same problem. I can't even checkout 1 MB repositories. I've installed the windows update mentioned here but the problem still remains. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and TortoiseSVN 1.6.6.17493-x64.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2427923

Hutchinson, Greg

Dec 8, 2009, 6:29:40 AM12/8/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I have the same version of TortoiseSVN (1.6.6.17493-x64) and I installed it on 2 new laptops with identical configuration. (Same AV software etc.). After the install, both did not work (Repo Browser or the CheckOut). I uninstalled and re-installed on both machines. (Uninstall, re-boot, re-install, re-boot). The one machine now works but the second machine does not. I don't what I did differently on the second machine, but it still hangs.

Greg Hutchinson, B.Sc.
Principal Application Developer /Développeur principal
Farm Credit Canada / Financement agricole Canada
1800 Hamilton Street, P.O. Box 4320
1800, rue Hamilton, C.P. 4320
Regina SK S4P 4L3
Tel/Tél. : (306) 780-3990 Cell : (306) 539-9060 Fax/Télec. : (306) 780-5655
E-mail/Courriel : greg.hu...@fcc-fac.ca

Advancing the business of agriculture. Pour l'avenir de l'agroindustrie.

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Pensons à l'environnement avant d'imprimer ce courriel.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2427923

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2428160

Jonas Esbjørn Engell

Dec 18, 2009, 7:53:46 PM12/18/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I have the same problem, but if I use https instead of http is works.

On Dec 7, 8:53 pm, Osama Askari <programmer.ask...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the same problem. I can't even checkout 1 MB repositories. I've installed thewindowsupdate mentioned here but the problem still remains. I'm usingWindows7Ultimate x64 and TortoiseSVN 1.6.6.17493-x64.
>
> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2431648

bladzok

Jan 6, 2010, 9:09:07 AM1/6/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
OK - here's the results of lots of experimenting with different

At home - updates, commits etc take longer than normal but not
excessive. I am running off a 4MB ADSL line. On small repositories
no problem - on large repositories it takes about 3-4 min to do an
update (even if there are no changes)

At a client - they have a 1MB wireless connection. The updates and
commits take about 9 minutes. Just sits there for 8 min 40 secs or so
and then does the update in the last 20 secs.

Both above scenarios on http

By switching to https - there are no problems anywhere. Just did a
3.5MB update in just over 2 min on the slower connection.

Hope that helps Stefan - wish I could fedex my laptop to you so you
can see the problem yourself, but I do need it :)

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2435168

Andy Levy

Jan 6, 2010, 9:24:02 AM1/6/10
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 09:09, bladzok <bla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK - here's the results of lots of experimenting with different
>
> At home - updates, commits etc take longer than normal but not
> excessive.  I am running off a 4MB ADSL line.  On small repositories
> no problem - on large repositories it takes about 3-4 min to do an
> update (even if there are no changes)

4MBps DSL? I always see DSL advertised as bps (bits per second), and
never as high as 24Mbps (4MBytes/sec).

And that's Asynchronous - what's the advertised upload rate on that line?

> At a client - they have a 1MB wireless connection.  The updates and
> commits take about 9 minutes.  Just sits there for 8 min 40 secs or so
> and then does the update in the last 20 secs.
>
> Both above scenarios on http
>
> By switching to https - there are no problems anywhere.  Just did a
> 3.5MB update in just over 2 min on the slower connection.

Does the slower connection have a transparent proxy which might be
inspecting all the HTTP traffic, but can't do the same for HTTPS?

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2435173

Olivier Sannier

Jan 6, 2010, 9:41:03 AM1/6/10
Andy Levy wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 09:09, bladzok<bla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> OK - here's the results of lots of experimenting with different
>>
>> At home - updates, commits etc take longer than normal but not
>> excessive. I am running off a 4MB ADSL line. On small repositories
>> no problem - on large repositories it takes about 3-4 min to do an
>> update (even if there are no changes)
>>
> 4MBps DSL? I always see DSL advertised as bps (bits per second), and
> never as high as 24Mbps (4MBytes/sec).

Slightly off topic here, but 24MBps is quite normal around here (France)
as we have ADSL2+:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_Digital_Subscriber_Line_2_Plus

> And that's Asynchronous - what's the advertised upload rate on that line?

1Mpbs is the usual, for 29.99 euros a month with no download/upload
limit, free telephone to over 100 countries and more than 200 TV channels.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2435183

Bob Archer

Jan 6, 2010, 10:12:52 AM1/6/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> Andy Levy wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 09:09, bladzok<bla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> OK - here's the results of lots of experimenting with different
> >>
> >> At home - updates, commits etc take longer than normal but not
> >> excessive. I am running off a 4MB ADSL line. On small
> repositories
> >> no problem - on large repositories it takes about 3-4 min to do
> an
> >> update (even if there are no changes)
> >>
> > 4MBps DSL? I always see DSL advertised as bps (bits per second),
> and
> > never as high as 24Mbps (4MBytes/sec).
> >
> Slightly off topic here, but 24MBps is quite normal around here
> (France)
> as we have ADSL2+:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_Digital_Subscriber_Line_2_P
> lus

Even the Wiki page shows 24Mbps... not 24MBps watch the case of the "b". Upper case indicates Bytes, lower case indicates Bits.

> > And that's Asynchronous - what's the advertised upload rate on
> that line?
> >
> 1Mpbs is the usual, for 29.99 euros a month with no download/upload
> limit, free telephone to over 100 countries and more than 200 TV
> channels.

But, I'm confused... if it works fine with https.... why not just stick with that?

BOb

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2435193

bladzok

Jan 8, 2010, 4:02:17 AM1/8/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
sorry 4mbps. Uploads are about 512kbps - so compared to France its
slow.

Not sure about the proxy. Could well be something that is inspecting
the http packets, but can't do anything with https.

I've switched everything to https. We do have a small issue with
branching and merging on https (because of the way we have configured
access to the server) - but we can do that from a non-Windows 7
machine.

But I'd still like to know what the problem is on http and windows 7
and why it doesn't affect XP or Linux machines.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2435698

bladzok

Jan 8, 2010, 5:19:50 AM1/8/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
btw - I thought it might be a tortoiseSVN client issue, so I tried
CollabNet and got the same problem.

On Jan 8, 11:02 am, bladzok <blad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> sorry 4mbps.  Uploads are about 512kbps - so compared to France its
> slow.
>
> Not sure about the proxy.  Could well be something that is inspecting
> the http packets, but can't do anything with https.
>
> I've switched everything to https.  We do have a small issue with
> branching and merging on https (because of the way we have configured
> access to the server) - but we can do that from a non-Windows 7
> machine.
>
> But I'd still like to know what the problem is on http and windows 7
> and why it doesn't affect XP or Linux machines.
>

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2435721

Mathias V

Jan 12, 2010, 8:15:01 AM1/12/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi, I've exactly the same problem : run a x64 windows 7 ultimate, and
have a svn on a freebsd server, connecting svn through http. I've
tried to connect localy, on an external svn, tried 1.5.10 to 1.6.6
Tsvn version .... I really think that's a windows 7 issue, 'cause I've
tried to connect from a debian pc, and no problem... I'm really "dans
la merde" as wee say in french : 16 minutes to have my repo files
list...
So, I'm gonna try to configure via https, and tell you if it's better.
Off course, if someone find the solution....PLEASE POST IT ! :)

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2436615

Mathias V

Jan 12, 2010, 10:43:50 AM1/12/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
So : I configured my svn server to work through https : it works like
a charm ! I think so it's a windows 7 x64 issue...

On 12 jan, 14:15, Mathias V <mathias...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I've exactly the same problem : run a x64 windows 7 ultimate, and
> have a svn on a freebsd server, connecting svn through http. I've
> tried to connect localy, on an external svn, tried 1.5.10 to 1.6.6
> Tsvn version .... I really think that's a windows 7 issue, 'cause I've
> tried to connect from a debian pc, and no problem... I'm really "dans
> la merde" as wee say in french : 16 minutes to have my repo files
> list...
> So, I'm gonna try to configure via https, and tell you if it's better.
> Off course, if someone find the solution....PLEASE POST IT ! :)
>

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2436646

Bob Archer

Jan 12, 2010, 10:50:58 AM1/12/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Maybe you should report this in the svn mail list. Perhaps there is an issue with neon/surf libraries that needs to be fixed wrt http on Win7 64-bit.

(I'm curious, did you try to disable IPv6?)

BOb

> unsub...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org].

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2436647

Stefan Küng

Jan 12, 2010, 1:26:45 PM1/12/10
On 12.01.2010 16:50, Bob Archer wrote:
> Maybe you should report this in the svn mail list. Perhaps there is
> an issue with neon/surf libraries that needs to be fixed wrt http on
> Win7 64-bit.

I doubt that. The fact that it works with https but not http indicates
that there's a firewall/proxy in between that doesn't work properly.
Because those can only inspect (and interfere with) unencrypted traffic.
As soon as the traffic is encrypted (as with https), they can't
interfere anymore - and that's when it works again.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2436694

Kenny Millar

Jan 13, 2010, 3:20:56 PM1/13/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, Stefan Küng
Let me add my 2 cents worth.
I have the 'same issue' - in other words, Checkouts hang for some indeterminate time - sometimes for several minutes - normally I get fed up and kill the process.

Now for some detail...
I have svn under apache2 running on Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). I have it configure for HTTPS only (no http) and user authentication required.

All of my other Mac computers, and my Dell Laptop running XP Pro can checkout and commit with no issues at all.

My Acer Laptop, running Windows 7 32-Bit with a vanilla install and all the latest updates always hits this issue - checkouts hang.

So on the surface it looks like a Windows 7 issue, but all other IP based services on my windows 7 machine work perfectly. (ie web, email, telnet, etc etc etc) so saying it is a Windows 7 bug is not going to be accepted very well.

In other words, it only affect SVN clients.

SO, in order to test it out, on the W7 machine, under network adapter properties I have unchecked IPv6, QoS and all the 'Link Layer Topology' items - and now TortoiseSVN seems to be working again. It may be co-incidental since sometimes it works anyway, so I'll post back if the situation changes.

-Kenny

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2437157

fredck

Feb 10, 2010, 12:11:57 PM2/10/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Stefan,

I understand things are difficult to get fixed when we're not able to
reproduce them, but this looks like a real issue. I'm also facing the
same problem.

I've switched from Vista 32 to Win7 64 and svn stopped working with
http. Only https works, but I'm not able to switch because ours is a
public repository that has externals which need to point to http, and
those get blocked in both checkout and update.

As things stopped working only because of the new OS, it looks like
there are really some important fix to come out here. Win7 x64 users
may really be out of work because of this (like me). And it looks like
I'm not an isolate case here.

Btw, this issue also impacts the SVN command line in the exact same
way. It simply get stuck with no error or messages.

Please let me know if I can do anything to help investigating this
issue.

Thanks,
Fred

On Jan 12, 7:26 pm, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12.01.2010 16:50, Bob Archer wrote:
>
> > Maybe you should report this in the svn mail list. Perhaps there is
> > an issue with neon/surf libraries that needs to be fixed wrt http on
> > Win7 64-bit.
>
> I doubt that. The fact that it works with https but not http indicates
> that there's a firewall/proxy in between that doesn't work properly.
> Because those can only inspect (and interfere with) unencrypted traffic.
> As soon as the traffic is encrypted (as with https), they can't
> interfere anymore - and that's when it works again.
>
> Stefan
>
> --
>         ___
>    oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
>   (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
>     \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
>     /_/   \_\    http://tortoisesvn.net
>

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2446463

Bob Archer

Feb 10, 2010, 12:18:41 PM2/10/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> I understand things are difficult to get fixed when we're not able to
> reproduce them, but this looks like a real issue. I'm also facing the
> same problem.
>
> I've switched from Vista 32 to Win7 64 and svn stopped working with
> http. Only https works, but I'm not able to switch because ours is a
> public repository that has externals which need to point to http, and
> those get blocked in both checkout and update.
>
> As things stopped working only because of the new OS, it looks like
> there are really some important fix to come out here. Win7 x64 users
> may really be out of work because of this (like me). And it looks like
> I'm not an isolate case here.
>
> Btw, this issue also impacts the SVN command line in the exact same
> way. It simply get stuck with no error or messages.

If this is the case then there is really nothing that can be done to "fix" it in TSVN.

Have you tried to:

1. Turn of IPv6?
2. Tried both serf and neon? Perhaps one will work where the other doesn't.

BOb

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2446466

Andy Levy

Feb 10, 2010, 12:21:45 PM2/10/10
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:11, fredck <fre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Stefan,
>
> I understand things are difficult to get fixed when we're not able to
> reproduce them, but this looks like a real issue. I'm also facing the
> same problem.
>
> I've switched from Vista 32 to Win7 64 and svn stopped working with
> http. Only https works, but I'm not able to switch because ours is a
> public repository that has externals which need to point to http, and
> those get blocked in both checkout and update.
>
> As things stopped working only because of the new OS, it looks like
> there are really some important fix to come out here. Win7 x64 users
> may really be out of work because of this (like me). And it looks like
> I'm not an isolate case here.
>
> Btw, this issue also impacts the SVN command line in the exact same
> way. It simply get stuck with no error or messages.

If it impacts both TSVN and the command-line client, you're barking up
the wrong tree here - that means that the "fix" is in your Windows
configuration or in the Subversion libraries themselves, not TSVN.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2446467

fredck

Feb 10, 2010, 12:33:53 PM2/10/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I understand your point here Andy, but you're simply taking the easy
way for TSVN. It impact on the svn command line, but TSVN is impacted
in the same way, so it's TSVN interest to have it working..

I'm not even saying that it's a bug on TSVN. I'm saying that, Win7 x64
is becoming a popular OS, and *TSVN* users may not be able to use it.
I have quite a standard Win7 installation, and it didn't work since
the beginning. Also, as you can see in the this thread, I'm not the
only one here.

So, instead of taking the "it's not my fault, so I don't care"
position, I'm suggesting being "ok, let's try to understand what's
going on here".

I'll continue investigating it of course, as I'm stuck at work because
of this, but may you guys have some ideas.

Thanks again,
Fred

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2446472

Andy Levy

Feb 10, 2010, 1:02:30 PM2/10/10
On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:33, fredck <fre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand your point here Andy, but you're simply taking the easy
> way for TSVN. It impact on the svn command line, but TSVN is impacted
> in the same way, so it's TSVN interest to have it working..
>
> I'm not even saying that it's a bug on TSVN. I'm saying that, Win7 x64
> is becoming a popular OS, and *TSVN* users may not be able to use it.
> I have quite a standard Win7 installation, and it didn't work since
> the beginning. Also, as you can see in the this thread, I'm not the
> only one here.
>
> So, instead of taking the "it's not my fault, so I don't care"
> position, I'm suggesting being "ok, let's try to understand what's
> going on here".

It's not "the easy way out" - it's the correct approach. If the
problem is in the core Subversion libraries, then this needs to be
reported to THOSE DEVELOPERS so that they can fix it. If the TSVN
developers were to develop a workaround that only benefits TSVN users,
when what of users who use the command line client? Or any other
client, for that matter? Plus, the code bases start diverging - TSVN
should work WITH the SVN libraries, not AROUND them.

If a TSVN developer can find the root of the problem and submit a
patch back to the core SVN libraries, fine - but there's more manpower
available if it's reported to the core developers too.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2446477

Stefan Küng

Feb 10, 2010, 1:09:32 PM2/10/10
On 10.02.2010 18:33, fredck wrote:
> I understand your point here Andy, but you're simply taking the easy
> way for TSVN. It impact on the svn command line, but TSVN is impacted
> in the same way, so it's TSVN interest to have it working..

Sure, you're absolutely right. Let me grab the Win7 sourcecode and fix
this...

> I'm not even saying that it's a bug on TSVN. I'm saying that, Win7 x64
> is becoming a popular OS, and *TSVN* users may not be able to use it.
> I have quite a standard Win7 installation, and it didn't work since
> the beginning. Also, as you can see in the this thread, I'm not the
> only one here.

But as I mentioned before: the fact that https works and http doesn't
clearly states that this is an issue with your virus scanner and/or
firewall, not with TSVN and/or Win7. Because I'm using Win7 x64 for more
than half a year now and never had this problem with any repository or
checkout.

And no, as I also mentioned several times on this list: deactivating the
virus scanner doesn't help most of the time, because those 'things'
think that deactivating them is either a user error or a virus trying to
do it, so they appear to be deactivated but keep interfering anyway. The
only way (sometimes not even that helps - I once had to reinstall
Windows because such a 'tool' refused to get cleanly deinstalled) is to
deinstall them.

> So, instead of taking the "it's not my fault, so I don't care"
> position, I'm suggesting being "ok, let's try to understand what's
> going on here".

I can only do that if it happens for me too, which it does not. So the
only one who can do that is you, because it's your setup that doesn't
work. And do what I suggested: remove your virus scanner and/or
firewall, reboot and try again.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2446481

fredck

Feb 10, 2010, 1:39:10 PM2/10/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Don't get me wrong guys. I'm a dev in a public project also and I
understand the feeling of having people just throwing their problems
on us to solve. But really, I'm not the only one facing this issue,
and considering I'm quite a "standard" user, I innocently though that
fixing it would be important for you. Am I a user of a "core
subversion library"? No, I'm not... and I'm not interested of being
so. I'm just a TSVN user and TSVN is all I know about the svn world.

Half of my coding life is writing workarounds to browser bugs.
Sometimes we don't fix things at our side, but instead report them to
the browser devs. The only thing I can't do is asking my end users to
go there reporting those issues. After all they are using my software,
and I'm interested on understanding and be informed about the
evolution of the issue, so next time someone knocks the door I have
the prompt answer.

Anyway... I'll try the antivirus uninstall. I hope I'll be lucky.

Thanks,
Fred

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2446494

Stefan Küng

Feb 11, 2010, 2:12:57 PM2/11/10
On 10.02.2010 19:39, fredck wrote:
> Don't get me wrong guys. I'm a dev in a public project also and I
> understand the feeling of having people just throwing their problems
> on us to solve. But really, I'm not the only one facing this issue,
> and considering I'm quite a "standard" user, I innocently though that
> fixing it would be important for you. Am I a user of a "core
> subversion library"? No, I'm not... and I'm not interested of being
> so. I'm just a TSVN user and TSVN is all I know about the svn world.
>
> Half of my coding life is writing workarounds to browser bugs.
> Sometimes we don't fix things at our side, but instead report them to
> the browser devs. The only thing I can't do is asking my end users to
> go there reporting those issues. After all they are using my software,
> and I'm interested on understanding and be informed about the
> evolution of the issue, so next time someone knocks the door I have
> the prompt answer.
>
> Anyway... I'll try the antivirus uninstall. I hope I'll be lucky.

Don't forget to report back if it helped.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2446784

Robert Kunzig

Feb 19, 2010, 1:05:22 PM2/19/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
In my case, it was BitDefender 2010. Not the firewall, but the real-time AV protection. I followed this thread:

http://forum.bitdefender.com/lofiversion/index.php/t15820.html

and did this:
- Restart in Safe Mode (otherwise BD won't let you mod the registry)
- open regedit and create a value in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\BitDefender" named "HttpAppSkip" and with type "Multi-String Value"
- edit the value and set it's data to the complete path of the program(s) you want to exclude from http scanning completely (you can have multiple entries)
- reboot

Solved my problem straight away.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2449162

fjanoos

Feb 25, 2010, 5:13:01 PM2/25/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hello,

I am having the exact same problem, except that I am trying to checkout /
update over https, not http. I am running Window 7 Professional 64-bit, and
whenever I do a checkout or update, it hangs after download a few KBs - the
speed drops to 0Kbps and the TSVN window stops responding.

I tried re-installing TSVN, updating windows, rolling back updates and
disabling IPv6, uninstalling my anti-virus and firewalls (Avast). To no
avail.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

PS: I have another Windows 7 computer with Avast AV and TSVN works perfectly
on that one.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2452239

fjanoos

Feb 25, 2010, 5:24:31 PM2/25/10
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hello,

I got this working by disconnecting my computer from my department LAN and
accessing the internet through a wireless network, instead. The updates adn
checkouts go through perfectly.

This is really weird, since I don't have trouble accessing the SVN server
through XP and Vista machines connected to the LAN.

Regards,
-fj

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2452243

Stefan Küng

Feb 26, 2010, 2:41:05 PM2/26/10
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 23:24, fjanoos <fja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got this working by disconnecting my computer from my department LAN and
> accessing the internet through a wireless network, instead. The updates adn
> checkouts go through perfectly.
>
> This is really weird, since I don't have trouble accessing the SVN server
> through XP and Vista machines connected to the LAN.

Have you tried this:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/12/15/vista-tcp-window-scaling-auto-tuning-may-slow-down-network-performance/
?

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2452685

fjanoos

Mar 1, 2010, 11:32:42 AM3/1/10
Stefan Küng wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 23:24, fjanoos <fja...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I got this working by disconnecting my computer from my department LAN
>> and
>> accessing the internet through a wireless network, instead. The updates
>> adn
>> checkouts go through perfectly.
>>
>> This is really weird, since I don't have trouble accessing the SVN server
>> through XP and Vista machines connected to the LAN.
>
> Have you tried this:
> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/12/15/vista-tcp-window-scaling-auto-tuning-may-slow-down-network-performance/
> ?
>
> Stefan

Thanks - I shall try it out today.
However, do you think this is a probable cause, given that this operation
works through the wireless TCP stack, but not when I'm connected to the LAN.
And that it works on Vista machines connected to the LAN?

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2453471

Stefan Küng

Mar 1, 2010, 3:33:11 PM3/1/10
On 01.03.2010 17:32, fjanoos wrote:

> Thanks - I shall try it out today.
> However, do you think this is a probable cause, given that this operation
> works through the wireless TCP stack, but not when I'm connected to the LAN.
> And that it works on Vista machines connected to the LAN?

Since we have no idea what is causing the issue, I have also no idea
whether this will fix the issue or not. That's why I'm asking you to try
it. If it doesn't work, you can change the settings back again.

Stefan

--
___

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2453606