Repo "broken"

Robert Roessler

Mar 23, 2009, 1:06:51 PM3/23/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
On my Vista SP1 x64 box, I uninstalled one of the recent "1.5.99"
nightly builds, and installed the released 1.6
(TortoiseSVN-1.6.0.15855-x64-svn-1.6.0).

When I tried to view the new rev graph on one of my repos, I see a
"Getting information from repository..." progress indicator - which
immediately displays a "Want to go offline?" popup. This popup explains
that there has been a problem contacting the server...

As I use "file:" repos exclusively, this seems unlikely if taken at face
value. Note that if I tell it to go ahead and "work offline for now",
an instance of TortoiseProc.exe just sits there at 100% CPU.

Other observations:
1) all of my other repos behave as expected

2) the "broken" repo is able to show an apparently reasonable "SVN
Commit..." dialog (although it shows one file in the WC with a "deleted"
status that I don't think I would have deleted)

3) if I attempt an SVN "Clean up" operation from the context menu,
TortoiseProc.exe crashes with a "0xc0000417" exception at offset "0x54fc0"

4) if I try to start the repo browser on this repo, I see a "Unable to
open an ra_local session to URL" error in the browser window, along with
"Can't open file '...\db\min-unpacked-rev': The system cannot find the
file specified"

The CollabNet SVN 1.6 command-line binaries are not yet available.

Could this repo be in the middle of a pre-1.6 to 1.6 format conversion
that failed in the middle?

While this particular repo doesn't have a huge amount of history, I
would still like to be able to keep it (the history) - are there any
suggestions, or any requests for additional data or testing?

--
Robert Roessler

Kurt Pruenner

Mar 23, 2009, 1:14:40 PM3/23/09
Robert Roessler wrote:
> The CollabNet SVN 1.6 command-line binaries are not yet available.

SlikSVN has 1.6.0 binaries already, though:

http://www.sliksvn.com/en/download

--
Kurt Bernhard Pruenner --- Haendelstrasse 17 --- 4020 Linz --- Austria
.......It might be written "Mindfuck", but it's spelt "L-A-I-N".......

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1390930

Stefan Küng

Mar 23, 2009, 1:25:15 PM3/23/09
Robert Roessler wrote:
> On my Vista SP1 x64 box, I uninstalled one of the recent "1.5.99"
> nightly builds, and installed the released 1.6
> (TortoiseSVN-1.6.0.15855-x64-svn-1.6.0).
>
> When I tried to view the new rev graph on one of my repos, I see a
> "Getting information from repository..." progress indicator - which
> immediately displays a "Want to go offline?" popup. This popup explains
> that there has been a problem contacting the server...
>
> As I use "file:" repos exclusively, this seems unlikely if taken at face
> value. Note that if I tell it to go ahead and "work offline for now",
> an instance of TortoiseProc.exe just sits there at 100% CPU.
>
> Other observations:
> 1) all of my other repos behave as expected
>
> 2) the "broken" repo is able to show an apparently reasonable "SVN
> Commit..." dialog (although it shows one file in the WC with a "deleted"
> status that I don't think I would have deleted)
>
> 3) if I attempt an SVN "Clean up" operation from the context menu,
> TortoiseProc.exe crashes with a "0xc0000417" exception at offset "0x54fc0"
>
> 4) if I try to start the repo browser on this repo, I see a "Unable to
> open an ra_local session to URL" error in the browser window, along with
> "Can't open file '...\db\min-unpacked-rev': The system cannot find the
> file specified"

Seems you're using the BDB repository format. That isn't supported
anymore in TSVN 1.6 (see the release notes).
You have to convert your repository to FSFS format if you want to keep
accessing it via file:///

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1390987

signature.asc

Robert Roessler

Mar 23, 2009, 1:35:14 PM3/23/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

But no, I have *never* [knowingly] set up a repo to use BDB - even my
very first one, which this isn't... if it helps, the .svn file tree in
the repo and WC appears substantially the same as all the other working
repos.

If I need one, is there some definitive test for examining the file
trees of a repo or WC to determine its "format"?

--
Robert Roessler

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1391071

Simon Large

Mar 23, 2009, 1:38:42 PM3/23/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
2009/3/23 Robert Roessler <rob...@rftp.com>:

Look in db/fs-type (which is a text file)

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1391092

Stefan Küng

Mar 23, 2009, 1:39:16 PM3/23/09
Robert Roessler wrote:

>> Seems you're using the BDB repository format. That isn't supported
>> anymore in TSVN 1.6 (see the release notes).
>> You have to convert your repository to FSFS format if you want to keep
>> accessing it via file:///
>
> But no, I have *never* [knowingly] set up a repo to use BDB - even my
> very first one, which this isn't... if it helps, the .svn file tree in
> the repo and WC appears substantially the same as all the other working
> repos.
>
> If I need one, is there some definitive test for examining the file
> trees of a repo or WC to determine its "format"?

In the db folder inside the repository is a file named fs-type. Open it
with a text editor. It contains either "FSFS" or "BDB".

If you're using FSFS, try running 'svnadmin recover' on it.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1391100

signature.asc

Robert Roessler

Mar 23, 2009, 2:37:53 PM3/23/09
Stefan Küng wrote:
> Robert Roessler wrote:
>
>>> Seems you're using the BDB repository format. That isn't supported
>>> anymore in TSVN 1.6 (see the release notes).
>>> You have to convert your repository to FSFS format if you want to keep
>>> accessing it via file:///
>>
>> But no, I have *never* [knowingly] set up a repo to use BDB - even my
>> very first one, which this isn't... if it helps, the .svn file tree in
>> the repo and WC appears substantially the same as all the other working
>> repos.
>>
>> If I need one, is there some definitive test for examining the file
>> trees of a repo or WC to determine its "format"?
>>

> In the db folder inside the repository is a file named fs-type. Open it
> with a text editor. It contains either "FSFS" or "BDB".
>
> If you're using FSFS, try running 'svnadmin recover' on it.

As expected (by me, anyway ;) ), my afflicted repo is indeed FSFS...
which makes sense, since I create all of them using the same procedure
and folder-tree template.

In any case, svnadmin recover gives the same error as the repo browser:

"Can't open file '...\db\min-unpacked-rev': The system cannot find the
file specified"

However, I notice that none of my other repos contains such a file -
whatever that means.

BUT, this repo is the only one that contains a "rep-cache.db" file.

Finally, I note that 4 out of my 6 repos contain a ".../db/format" file
that looks like this:

3
layout linear

While 2 of 6 repos (1 working fine, and this messed-up one) have

4
layout sharded 1000

Is there anything else I can check? Any theories as to how this
happened? Could it have been a failed attempt at auto-updating the repo
format with a new client version?

And thanks, Stefan, Simon, and Kurt for getting me this far. :)

--
Robert Roessler

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1391534

Stefan Küng

Mar 23, 2009, 2:58:08 PM3/23/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

If 'svnadmin recover' also throws an error, that's not a good sign. You
might have to get the repo back from a backup.
Try 'svnadmin dump /path/to/repo > dump.dmp'
and then load it into a new repo.

If that doesn't work either, you have to use a backup (or as on the
Subversion list for help).

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1391660

signature.asc

Robert Roessler

Mar 23, 2009, 7:00:26 PM3/23/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Since any function that needs to use/contact the repo (rather than just
using the WC) asks for this "min-unpacked-rev" file, you can guess how
well the "dump" operation went...

But what I really don't get is that of ALL my repos, the only one that
even HAS this "min-unpacked-rev" file is my newly created and
"re-imported" version of the broken one.

The fact that this problem repo is 1 of 2 repos that are using this
newer internal FSFS layout still leaves me worried about WHY this
corruption (or whatever) occurred... but it almost certainly has to do
with the SVN libs and not TSVN (of course).

--
Robert Roessler

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1394010

Simon Large

Mar 24, 2009, 5:06:32 AM3/24/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
2009/3/23 Robert Roessler <rob...@rftp.com>:

I think you will have to take this one to the subversion users list.
If the repo will zip to a relatively small file that may help with
diagnostics.

IIUC repositories never auto-upgrade, so it is more likely that you
created this repo sometime after a format change was introduced to
FSFS. Sharding became the default in svn 1.5 which has been out for
quite some time, so it is not surprising that some of your repos have
this.

Also, I think the min-unpacked-rev file is new to 1.6 and has to do
with shard packing. But that should only happen when you run svnadmin
pack.

Simon

--
: ___
: oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
: (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
: \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
: /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1399660

Simon Large

Mar 24, 2009, 5:10:37 AM3/24/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
2009/3/23 Robert Roessler <rob...@rftp.com>:

> On my Vista SP1 x64 box, I uninstalled one of the recent "1.5.99"
> nightly builds, and installed the released 1.6
> (TortoiseSVN-1.6.0.15855-x64-svn-1.6.0).
>
> When I tried to view the new rev graph on one of my repos, I see a
> "Getting information from repository..." progress indicator - which
> immediately displays a "Want to go offline?" popup.  This popup explains
> that there has been a problem contacting the server...
>
> As I use "file:" repos exclusively, this seems unlikely if taken at face
> value.  Note that if I tell it to go ahead and "work offline for now",
> an instance of TortoiseProc.exe just sits there at 100% CPU.
>
> Other observations:
> 1) all of my other repos behave as expected
>
> 2) the "broken" repo is able to show an apparently reasonable "SVN
> Commit..." dialog (although it shows one file in the WC with a "deleted"
> status that I don't think I would have deleted)

The commit dialog is related only to the WC and doesn't contact the
repo until you start the commit.

> 3) if I attempt an SVN "Clean up" operation from the context menu,
> TortoiseProc.exe crashes with a "0xc0000417" exception at offset "0x54fc0"

Known (and fixed on trunk) bug in TSVN 1.6.0. Cleanup sometimes crashes.

> 4) if I try to start the repo browser on this repo, I see a "Unable to
> open an ra_local session to URL" error in the browser window, along with
> "Can't open file '...\db\min-unpacked-rev': The system cannot find the
> file specified"
>
> The CollabNet SVN 1.6 command-line binaries are not yet available.
>
> Could this repo be in the middle of a pre-1.6 to 1.6 format conversion
> that failed in the middle?

Repositories should not auto-upgrade, but it is possible you created
it with an older nightly and the format has changed. I believe svn was
using sqlite to do some caching a few months ago and that scheme was
changed before the release.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=1399724