Bug report - Crash instead of showing context menu after right click

Red*Star

Jul 25, 2008, 7:22:25 AM7/25/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hello there,

I have a somewhat weird bug here with TortoiseSVN 1.5.0. I've searched
the internet, took a look at the existent bug reports, the changelog,
etc., but none of it did help me: The existent bug reports on similar
bugs to the one that I have, do not contain a solution or do not contain
a solution that is appropriate or do not contain a solution that worked.

System info - it's:

TortoiseSVN 1.5.0, Build 13316 - 32 Bit, 2008/06/21 07:55:29
on Windows XP Professional (SP3)

The last TortoiseSVN version I used (1.4.something) worked perfectly for
me: It is a real joy to use it - exactly that makes the situation so sad :(.

The bug:

> "what you did, what you wanted to happen, and what actually happened"

I click with the right mouse button on a file, I want to see the context
menu, what I get is an explorer crash.

Details: However, it isn't related to the explorer: I've tested it also
with PowerDesk and another program. I guess it's something general with
the shell integration.
And now the "strange" thing: It's *no* problem when I right-click on a
drive (e.g. "C:\") - the context menu shows up - and it's also *no*
problem when I click on a Link file. It doesn't matter where: *.lnk
files seem to never cause a crash. Contrariwise I can surely 100% rely
on the Explorer crashing when clicking on *any* other regular file or
folder.
Behaviour on both file systems FAT32 and NTFS is the same.

I've encircled possible causers definitely to TortoiseSVN, because when
I uninstall it, everything works, when I install it, I get the described
behaviour.

Does anybody have an idea what the reason is and/or how to solve this?

With kind regards,

Red*Star

PS: I'm not in the mailing list, so please CC me in your answers, if
anyone has an answer.

Tobias Schäfer

Jul 25, 2008, 7:46:47 AM7/25/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, Red*Star
On Friday 25 July 2008 13:22:25 Red*Star wrote:

> I click with the right mouse button on a file, I want to see the context
> menu, what I get is an explorer crash.
>
> Details: However, it isn't related to the explorer: I've tested it also
> with PowerDesk and another program. I guess it's something general with
> the shell integration.

You don't say what solutions you tried. Did you try this one?

http://tortoisesvn.net/powerdesk_crash

Tobias

--
       ___
  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"

Stefan Küng

Jul 25, 2008, 7:51:09 AM7/25/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, Redst...@gmx.de
signature.asc

Red*Star

Jul 25, 2008, 8:32:01 AM7/25/08
to Tobias Schäfer, us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

Stefab Küng schrieb:
> Datum: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:51:09 +0200
> Von: "Stefan Küng" <torto...@gmail.com>
> An: us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> CC: Redst...@gmx.de
> Betreff: Re: Bug report - Crash instead of showing context menu after
right click

> Red*Star wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >
> > I have a somewhat weird bug here with TortoiseSVN 1.5.0. I've searched
> > the internet, took a look at the existent bug reports, the changelog,
> > etc., but none of it did help me: The existent bug reports on similar
> > bugs to the one that I have, do not contain a solution or do not
contain
> > a solution that is appropriate or do not contain a solution that
worked.

> > [...]

> > I've encircled possible causers definitely to TortoiseSVN, because
when
> > I uninstall it, everything works, when I install it, I get the
described
> > behaviour.
> >

> > Does anybody have an idea what the reason is and/or how to solve this?
> >

> http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/faq.html#powerdesk
>
> Stefan

> --
> ___
> oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
> (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
> \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
> /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

Damn... no I didn't (@Tobias). - I read "PowerDesk" and thought it was
related to "just" PowerDesk, not "PowerDesk ---affects---> Explorer",
and because the link didn't work, I didn't spend any time more on the
PowerDesk question. I should not longer do bug resolving in the mid of a
night...

Anyway, the link seems to do not work, I had to go on

http://kb.avanquestusa.com/

and search for the PowerDesk issue there manually. (Ok... maybe that's a
browser problem.)

But has anybody an idea why the problem only arises with TurtoiseSVN
1.5.0 and not 1.4.x?

Much thanks (it works now :)... again) and regards,

Red*Star

Tobias Schäfer

Jul 25, 2008, 8:47:17 AM7/25/08
On Friday 25 July 2008 14:32:01 Red*Star wrote:

> Anyway, the link seems to do not work, I had to go on
>
> http://kb.avanquestusa.com/
>
> and search for the PowerDesk issue there manually. (Ok... maybe that's a
> browser problem.)
>

> But has anybody an idea why the problem only arises with TurtoiseSVN
> 1.5.0 and not 1.4.x?
>
> Much thanks (it works now :)... again) and regards,

Could you please give us the correct link so that we can update the FAQ.

The next user finding this bug in PowerDesk would be grateful for a correct
link.

Tobias

--
       ___
  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
 (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
   \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
   /_/   \_\     http://tortoisesvn.net

Redst...@gmx.de

Jul 25, 2008, 8:53:11 AM7/25/08
to "Tobias Schäfer", us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:47:17 +0200
> Von: "Tobias Schäfer" <tobiass...@gmx.de>
> An: us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> CC: Red*Star <Redst...@gmx.de>

> Betreff: Re: Bug report - Crash instead of showing context menu after right click

> On Friday 25 July 2008 14:32:01 Red*Star wrote:

> > Anyway, the link seems to do not work, I had to go on
> >
> > http://kb.avanquestusa.com/
> >
> > and search for the PowerDesk issue there manually. (Ok... maybe that's a
> > browser problem.)
> >

> > But has anybody an idea why the problem only arises with TurtoiseSVN
> > 1.5.0 and not 1.4.x?
> >
> > Much thanks (it works now :)... again) and regards,
>
> Could you please give us the correct link so that we can update the FAQ.
>
> The next user finding this bug in PowerDesk would be grateful for a
> correct
> link.
>
> Tobias
> --
> ___
> oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
> (_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
> \ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
> /_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

Uhm... I don't know what it is, but now the link works. Yesterday and some minutes before it didn't.

Regards,

Red*Star

Stefan Küng

Jul 25, 2008, 1:02:14 PM7/25/08
Redst...@gmx.de wrote:
>> On Friday 25 July 2008 14:32:01 Red*Star wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, the link seems to do not work, I had to go on
>>>
>>> http://kb.avanquestusa.com/
>>>
>>> and search for the PowerDesk issue there manually. (Ok... maybe that's a
>>> browser problem.)
>>>

>>> But has anybody an idea why the problem only arises with TurtoiseSVN
>>> 1.5.0 and not 1.4.x?
>>>
>>> Much thanks (it works now :)... again) and regards,
>> Could you please give us the correct link so that we can update the FAQ.
>>
>> The next user finding this bug in PowerDesk would be grateful for a
>> correct
>> link.
>>
>> Tobias
>
> Uhm... I don't know what it is, but now the link works. Yesterday and some minutes before it didn't.

I think those links only work once you've done a search there. Seems you
need a cookie set before it works.
But I can't find a direct link which works without that - never seens
such a stupid website before...

Stefan

signature.asc