svn+ssh:// access hangs with 1.5.0

stephen mulcahy

Jun 24, 2008, 4:59:13 AM6/24/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi,

Firstly, I'd like to thank you guys for your efforts on TortoiseSVN -
it's a lovely intuitive interface to subversion repositories.

I've been accessing an svn+ssh:// repository using 1.4.x of TortoiseSVN
for the last year or so. I've most recently been using 1.4.8. It works
without problems, prompting me for my password each time I connect
(which suits me for now, I'm aware of pageant and how to use it .. just
haven't gotten around to setting it up for this config yet :)

So I recently upgraded to 1.5.0 (and the last RC) and tried them. I have
some https:// based repositories and 1.5.0 worked fine with those.

When I try it with my svn+ssh:// repository though, it seems to hang
indefinitely (I left it running last night for a few hours without any
progress). I tried changing TortoisePlink.exe to Putty's Plink.exe and
it again hangs (without any messages to the console).

This isn't an issue with an unrecognised key - the only thing to change
in my config from a working config to a non-working config was upgrading
from 1.4.8 to 1.5.0 (and the RC). Just to be sure, I tried putty'ing
into the port that svn+ssh:// is on and putty connected without
prompting me to save an unrecognised key.

I've looked through existing bugs and the mailing lists and can't see
anything describing this problem or a solution already other than
http://groups.google.com/group/tortoisesvn/browse_thread/thread/f39499711f7c538b/a14cf7b02cee8581

I've also re-read http://tortoisesvn.net/ssh_howto and
http://tortoisesvn.net/node/28 but nothing covered there seems to
indicate the problem.

I've tried uninstalling everything and reinstalling - with the same
results. I finally uninstalled everything and rolled back to 1.4.8 which
again works without problems (after checking the repository again).

Anyone have any ideas whats going on here? Let me know if you need me to
do any further testing - I'm happy to upgrade back to 1.5.0 for testing
if needed.

Also, I'm not on this list so please cc my in any replies (although I'll
check the list periodically anyways).

Thanks,

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd., Innovation in Business Center,
GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland.

Stefan Küng

Jun 24, 2008, 1:40:40 PM6/24/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org, smul...@aplpi.com

Since the Windows binaries for the Subversion CL client are not
available yet, please download the svn.exe from here:
http://nightlybuilds.tortoisesvn.net/latest/win32/
then copy it into the TSVN installation folder (c:\program
files\tortoisesvn\bin), open a command prompt, go to that directory,
then try accessing your repository with the CL client, e.g.
svn ls svn+ssh://yourserver/repos/trunk

You may have to edit the Subversion config file and set up your ssh
client there first.

If this hangs too (which I suspect it does from my quick tests), then
please report the issue on the Subversion mailing list (users at
subversion tigris org).

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

signature.asc

John Alan Belli

Jun 24, 2008, 4:33:56 PM6/24/08

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:40:40 +0200, Stefan said:

> stephen mulcahy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Firstly, I'd like to thank you guys for your efforts on
> > TortoiseSVN - it's a lovely intuitive interface to
> > subversion repositories.
> >
> > I've been accessing an svn+ssh:// repository using 1.4.x of
> > TortoiseSVN for the last year or so. I've most recently
> > been using 1.4.8. It works without problems, prompting me
> > for my password each time I connect (which suits me for
> > now, I'm aware of pageant and how to use it .. just haven't
> > gotten around to setting it up for this config yet :)
> >
> > So I recently upgraded to 1.5.0 (and the last RC) and tried
> > them. I have some https:// based repositories and 1.5.0
> > worked fine with those.
> >
> > When I try it with my svn+ssh:// repository though, it seems
> > to hang indefinitely (I left it running last night for a
> > few hours without any progress). I tried changing
> > TortoisePlink.exe to Putty's Plink.exe and it again hangs
> > (without any messages to the console).

> Since the Windows binaries for the Subversion CL client are
> not available yet, please download the svn.exe from here:
> http://nightlybuilds.tortoisesvn.net/latest/win32/
> then copy it into the TSVN installation folder (c:\program
> files\tortoisesvn\bin), open a command prompt, go to that
> directory, then try accessing your repository with the CL
> client, e.g.
> svn ls svn+ssh://yourserver/repos/trunk
>
> You may have to edit the Subversion config file and set up
> your ssh client there first.
>
> If this hangs too (which I suspect it does from my quick
> tests), then please report the issue on the Subversion
> mailing list (users at subversion tigris org).

I'm not having this problem, at least with TSVN 1.5.0.13316/32
Bitagainst a 1.4.6 server on Windows XP using an
svn+ssh://s...@foo.bar.invalid/ url (all svn users under a single
user account).

I'm using CopSSH for the Windows XP SSH server (a simple
installation of just enough cygwin to run ssh).

Stefan, if it would help, you can send me a public key and I can
give you access to the repository.

JAB
- --
John Alan Belli jab...@pobox.com http:// coming soon
(_@___# PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0x9F9A5233 RSA Key ID: 0xFD7399CD
U/~ O- Available by finger and on various keyservers

stephen mulcahy

Jun 25, 2008, 6:14:49 AM6/25/08
to Stefan Küng, us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Stefan Küng wrote:
> Since the Windows binaries for the Subversion CL client are not
> available yet, please download the svn.exe from here:
> http://nightlybuilds.tortoisesvn.net/latest/win32/
> then copy it into the TSVN installation folder (c:\program
> files\tortoisesvn\bin), open a command prompt, go to that directory,
> then try accessing your repository with the CL client, e.g.
> svn ls svn+ssh://yourserver/repos/trunk
>
> You may have to edit the Subversion config file and set up your ssh
> client there first.
>
> If this hangs too (which I suspect it does from my quick tests), then
> please report the issue on the Subversion mailing list (users at
> subversion tigris org).

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply.

I've downloaded svn.exe as suggested this morning and tried it out.

As expected, it also hangs without any message when running

svn ls svn+ssh://yourserver/repos/trunk

What is interesting, is that if I generate a key on the client using
puttygen and make it available via pageant, after adding the key to the
authorized_keys on the server then svn.exe works without problems.

After generating the key, I also tested TortoiseSVN again and it also
works. So the problem is confined to situations where ssh needs to
prompt for a username/password.

For reference, my server is a Debian GNU/Linux system (4.0) running ssh
server 4.3p2-9 and subversion 1.4.2dfsg1-2.

I'll send a summary mail to the subversion mailing list as you advised.

Thanks again,

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd., Innovation in Business Center,

GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland. +353.91.751262 http://www.aplpi.com
Registered in Ireland, no. 289353 (5 Woodlands Avenue, Renmore, Galway)

themys...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2008, 12:02:09 PM7/10/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I'd like to confirm this bug as I'm experiencing it as well. Again,
TSVN just hangs when it should prompt for a password.

Is there a bug # for this? Shall I file a bug?

On Jun 25, 6:14 am, stephen mulcahy <smulc...@aplpi.com> wrote:
> Stefan Küng wrote:
> > Since the Windows binaries for the Subversion CL client are not
> > available yet, please download the svn.exe from here:
> >http://nightlybuilds.tortoisesvn.net/latest/win32/
> > then copy it into the TSVN installation folder (c:\program
> > files\tortoisesvn\bin), open a command prompt, go to that directory,
> > then try accessing your repository with the CL client, e.g.
> > svn ls svn+ssh://yourserver/repos/trunk
>
> > You may have to edit the Subversion config file and set up your ssh
> > client there first.
>

> > If thishangstoo (which I suspect it does from my quick tests), then

> > please report the issue on the Subversion mailing list (users at
> > subversion tigris org).
>
> Hi Stefan,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I've downloaded svn.exe as suggested this morning and tried it out.
>

> As expected, it alsohangswithout any message when running

> svn ls svn+ssh://yourserver/repos/trunk
>
> What is interesting, is that if I generate a key on the client using
> puttygen and make it available via pageant, after adding the key to the
> authorized_keys on the server then svn.exe works without problems.
>

> After generating the key, I also testedTortoiseSVNagain and it also

> works. So the problem is confined to situations where ssh needs to
> prompt for a username/password.
>
> For reference, my server is a Debian GNU/Linux system (4.0) running ssh
> server 4.3p2-9 and subversion 1.4.2dfsg1-2.
>
> I'll send a summary mail to the subversion mailing list as you advised.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> -stephen
>
> --
> Stephen Mulcahy, Applepie Solutions Ltd., Innovation in Business Center,
> GMIT, Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland.  +353.91.751262  http://www.aplpi.com
> Registered in Ireland, no. 289353 (5 Woodlands Avenue, Renmore, Galway)

Stefan Küng

Jul 10, 2008, 12:14:44 PM7/10/08
themys...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'd like to confirm this bug as I'm experiencing it as well. Again,
> TSVN just hangs when it should prompt for a password.
>
> Is there a bug # for this? Shall I file a bug?

Try the nightly build from here:
http://nightlybuilds.tortoisesvn.net/1.5.x/

signature.asc

themys...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2008, 12:37:23 PM7/10/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
HI Stefan,

Thanks for the quick response. The nightly seems to have fixed it. Was
able to do both an update and check in.

Thanks!

On Jul 10, 12:14 pm, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  signature.asc
> 1KDownload

Screwdriver223

Jul 14, 2008, 10:36:09 PM7/14/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
On Jul 10, 12:14 pm, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> themystic...@gmail.com wrote:
> > I'd like to confirm this bug as I'm experiencing it as well. Again,
> > TSVN just hangs when it should prompt for a password.
>
> Try the nightly build from here:http://nightlybuilds.tortoisesvn.net/1.5.x/
>
> Stefan

Hi

Unfortunately, I tried the latest nightly build (1.5.0.13476), and
TortoiseSVN doesn't seem to work at all now. No menu in the shell.
If I try running it from the start menu, I get the following cryptic
message:

"C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\TortoiseProc.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for
more detail."

This is a little annoying because I can't commit to my svn+ssh
repositories with 1.5, and I can't (easily) downgrade to 1.4.8 since
my working copies have all been updated (molested?) by 1.5. Anyone
have any idea how to get around this?

Many thanks,
Screwdriver223

Stefan Küng

Jul 15, 2008, 5:34:05 AM7/15/08
Screwdriver223 wrote:
> On Jul 10, 12:14 pm, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> themystic...@gmail.com wrote:
>>> I'd like to confirm this bug as I'm experiencing it as well. Again,
>>> TSVN just hangs when it should prompt for a password.
>> Try the nightly build from here:http://nightlybuilds.tortoisesvn.net/1.5.x/
>>
>> Stefan
>
> Hi
>
> Unfortunately, I tried the latest nightly build (1.5.0.13476), and
> TortoiseSVN doesn't seem to work at all now. No menu in the shell.
> If I try running it from the start menu, I get the following cryptic
> message:
>
> "C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\TortoiseProc.exe
>
> The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
> configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for
> more detail."

Try uninstalling it, reboot, then install it again.

signature.asc

Screwdriver223

Jul 15, 2008, 12:55:23 PM7/15/08

On Jul 15, 5:34 am, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I tried the latest nightly build (1.5.0.13476),
and
> > TortoiseSVN doesn't seem to work at all now.  No menu in the shell.
> > If I try running it from the start menu, I get the following cryptic
> > message:
>
> > "C:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin\TortoiseProc.exe
>
> > The application has failed to start because its side-by-side
> > configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application event log for
> > more detail."
>
> Try uninstalling it, reboot, then install it again.
>
> Stefan

Fantastic! Thanks so much for the help, and all your work on
TortoiseSVN.

chicagogrooves

Jul 16, 2008, 9:53:25 AM7/16/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

I came to the same conclusion when my tortoise svn was not successfully
diffing or committing to remote svn+ssh. The nightly build of svn.exe I
downloaded not only allowed the svn.exe CL to work but the SVN shell
extension too.

Thanks for the tip !!

Also thank you for the context menu keyboard short cut for the Tortoise SVN
right-click menu ! (and all the other improvements though this was the first
one I noticed!)

Dean

Stefan Küng wrote:

> stephen mulcahy wrote:
> Since the Windows binaries for the Subversion CL client are not
> available yet, please download the svn.exe from here:
> http://nightlybuilds.tortoisesvn.net/latest/win32/
> then copy it into the TSVN installation folder (c:\program
> files\tortoisesvn\bin), open a command prompt, go to that directory,
> then try accessing your repository with the CL client, e.g.
> svn ls svn+ssh://yourserver/repos/trunk

TheWitness

Jul 21, 2008, 10:06:07 AM7/21/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
When can we expect the gui to be working again?

On Jul 16, 9:53 am, chicagogrooves <deanm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I came to the same conclusion when my tortoisesvnwas not successfully
> diffing or committing to remotesvn+ssh. The nightly build ofsvn.exe I

> downloaded not only allowed thesvn.exe CL to work but theSVNshell
> extension too.
>
> Thanks for the tip !!
>
> Also thank you for the context menu keyboard short cut for the TortoiseSVN
> right-click menu ! (and all the other improvements though this was the first
> one I noticed!)
>
> Dean
>
> Stefan Küng wrote:
>
> > stephen mulcahy wrote:
> > Since the Windows binaries for the Subversion CL client are not

> > available yet, please download thesvn.exe from here:

> >http://nightlybuilds.tortoisesvn.net/latest/win32/
> > then copy it into the TSVN installation folder (c:\program
> > files\tortoisesvn\bin), open a command prompt, go to that directory,
> > then try accessing your repository with the CL client, e.g.

> >svnlssvn+ssh://yourserver/repos/trunk

Kurt Pruenner

Jul 21, 2008, 10:14:21 AM7/21/08
TheWitness wrote:
> When can we expect the gui to be working again?

Huh?

Last time I checked (which happened to be this morning at work) the
TortoiseSVN GUI worked just fine.

Maybe you'd like to give us a few more details instead of quoting a
whole mail that doesn't give us any hints?

--
Kurt Bernhard Pruenner --- Haendelstrasse 17 --- 4020 Linz --- Austria
.......It might be written "Mindfuck", but it's spelt "L-A-I-N".......