High CPU usage caused by TSVNCache.exe at startup

VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com

Jun 20, 2009, 9:07:39 AM6/20/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi,

the last days I've noticed a boot delay of my Vista Sp2 System. I've
made a boot trace with xperf and saw that TSVNCache.exe causes a high
cpu usage right after the start. This causes a delay when of the other
applications which are started at boot.

Any ideas why this high cpu usage hapens right at the start of
TSVNCache.exe?

I'm using version 1.6.2.16600.

Stefan Küng

Jun 21, 2009, 6:00:15 AM6/21/09
VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the last days I've noticed a boot delay of my Vista Sp2 System. I've
> made a boot trace with xperf and saw that TSVNCache.exe causes a high
> cpu usage right after the start. This causes a delay when of the other
> applications which are started at boot.
>
> Any ideas why this high cpu usage hapens right at the start of
> TSVNCache.exe?

I've seen that only in my office with the (mandatory) virus scanner
running. After I've configured it to leave the TSVNCache.exe process
alone, I haven't seen that behavior anymore.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2363925

signature.asc

VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com

Jun 21, 2009, 10:56:03 AM6/21/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Stefan,

ok, I'll try this. I'm using NOD32 v3.

The strange thing is, that the issue started with the latest nightly
build.

Have you changed something with the cache?

thanks

On 21 Jun., 12:00, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > the last days I've noticed a boot delay of my Vista Sp2 System. I've
> > made a boot trace with xperf and saw that TSVNCache.exe causes a high
> > cpu usage right after the start. This causes a delay when of the other
> > applications which are started at boot.
>
> > Any ideas why this high cpu usage hapens right at the start of
> > TSVNCache.exe?
>
> I've seen that only in my office with the (mandatory) virus scanner
> running. After I've configured it to leave the TSVNCache.exe process
> alone, I haven't seen that behavior anymore.
>
> Stefan
>
> --
>        ___
>   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
>  (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
>    \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
>    /_/   \_\    http://tortoisesvn.net
>

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

>  signature.asc
> < 1 KBAnzeigenHerunterladen

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2363968

Stefan Küng

Jun 21, 2009, 11:45:47 AM6/21/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> ok, I'll try this. I'm using NOD32 v3.
>
> The strange thing is, that the issue started with the latest nightly
> build.
>
> Have you changed something with the cache?

Sure, but it depends on what version you updated from :)
Check the log messages from trunk from HEAD to the revision you updated
from (just show the log for trun/src/TSVNCache).

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2363969

signature.asc

Evan

Jun 21, 2009, 9:12:49 PM6/21/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Two of our users updated to 1.6.3 version this morning and it has
caused them similar problems.

One of the users (who is running Nod32 2.7) turned off status caching.

The other user (who is running Nod32/ESET Security 4.x) tried to
uninstall TSVN so he could go back to the previous version, and has
lost all network capability on his laptop. Trying to repair now.

I'm running 1.6.2 with Nod32 2.7 myself without major issues. (I'm
not going to upgrade at this point.)

E.

On Jun 22, 1:45 am, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:
> VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com wrote:
>
> > Hi Stefan,
>
> > ok, I'll try this. I'm using NOD32 v3.
>
> > The strange thing is, that the issue started with the latest nightly
> > build.
>
> > Have you changed something with the cache?
>
> Sure, but it depends on what version you updated from :)
> Check the log messages from trunk from HEAD to the revision you updated
> from (just show the log for trun/src/TSVNCache).
>
> Stefan
>
> --
>        ___
>   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
>  (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
>    \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
>    /_/   \_\    http://tortoisesvn.net
>

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

>  signature.asc
> < 1KViewDownload

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2364051

Evan

Jun 21, 2009, 10:12:03 PM6/21/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
As a follow-up, disregard the network issues the second person was
having.

Appears he was also uninstalling some VPN software over the weekend,
and that was probably the culprit for that particular issue.

E.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2364059

Bob

Jun 22, 2009, 11:51:05 AM6/22/09
Evan <evan.mclean@...> writes:

> Two of our users updated to 1.6.3 version this morning and it has
> caused them similar problems.

I did similar update and had similar problems. TSVNCache.exe ran for a very long
time at start-up. I excluded icon overlays on all but one directory to get
reasonable operation, but something seems amiss.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2364205

VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com

Jun 22, 2009, 6:09:53 PM6/22/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Stefan,

I've updated from version 1.6.2.16470 to 1.6.2.16600.

I was able to start ProcessExplorer and copy the stack:

ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMultipleObjects+0xacd
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x492
ntoskrnl.exe!CcCopyWrite+0xcfb
ntoskrnl.exe!KeUpdateSystemTime+0x129
ntdll.dll!RtlAllocateHeap+0xd2
MSVCR90.dll!malloc+0x79
MSVCR90.dll!operator new+0x1f
MSVCP90.dll!std::_Allocate<wchar_t>+0x1a
MSVCP90.dll!std::allocator<unsigned short>::allocate+0xf
MSVCP90.dll!
std::basic_string<wchar_t,std::char_traits<wchar_t>,std::allocator<wchar_t>
>::_Copy+0x5a
MSVCP90.dll!std::basic_string<unsigned short,std::char_traits<unsigned
short>,std::allocator<unsigned short> >::_Grow+0x29
MSVCP90.dll!
std::basic_string<wchar_t,std::char_traits<wchar_t>,std::allocator<wchar_t>
>::assign+0x50
MSVCP90.dll!
std::basic_string<wchar_t,std::char_traits<wchar_t>,std::allocator<wchar_t>
>::basic_string<wchar_t,std::char_traits<wchar_t>,std::allocator<wchar_t>
>+0x26
MSVCP90.dll!
std::basic_string<wchar_t,std::char_traits<wchar_t>,std::allocator<wchar_t>
>::substr+0x1d
TSVNCache.exe!ShellCache::IsPathAllowed+0x67e
TSVNCache.exe!CSVNStatusCache::Create+0x4d4
TSVNCache.exe!WinMain+0x8b
TSVNCache.exe!__tmainCRTStartup+0x140
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0xe
ntdll.dll!__RtlUserThreadStart+0x23
ntdll.dll!_RtlUserThreadStart+0x1b

Could you please check this?

On 21 Jun., 17:45, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure, but it depends on what version you updated from :)
> Check the log messages from trunk from HEAD to the revision you updated
> from (just show the log for trun/src/TSVNCache).

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2364318

Helder Magalhães

Jun 23, 2009, 4:40:34 AM6/23/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi everyone,

> > Two of our users updated to 1.6.3 version this morning and it has
> > caused them similar problems.

> I did similar update and had similar problems. TSVNCache.exe ran for a very long
> time at start-up.

I also upgraded (from 1.6.2) to 1.6.3 yesterday and noticed about the weird CPU hog at startup. Could this be caused by some format migration or similar performed? I've cleared my cached repositories (TSVN settings, "Log Caching", "Cached Repositories") and, after a reboot, the high CPU usage wasn't reproduced. This may have been a coincidence, and I'll be watching this, but this tip may help others in the meantime. ;-)

Nevertheless, Steve's guess on an Anti-virus interference makes much more sense. :-)

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2364429

Bob

Jun 23, 2009, 9:49:52 AM6/23/09
Helder Magalhães <helder.magalhaes@...> writes:

> I also upgraded (from 1.6.2) to 1.6.3 yesterday and noticed about the weird
CPU hog at startup. Could this be
> caused by some format migration or similar performed? I've cleared my cached
repositories (TSVN
> settings, "Log Caching", "Cached Repositories") and, after a reboot, the high
CPU usage wasn't
> reproduced. This may have been a coincidence, and I'll be watching this, but
this tip may help others in the
> meantime.

Helder,

Thanks for the tip. I looked at my Cached Repositories and saw several
reasonable-looking entries and one for http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn with a
very large cache size of 3458kM. I am not sure how it got there, but I deleted
it and will see what happens.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2364483

VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com

Jun 23, 2009, 6:00:01 PM6/23/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi,

awesome tip.

it seems to work for me too. But my cache was very small (only a few
kB for 5 repositories).

On 23 Jun., 10:40, Helder Magalhães <helder.magalh...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi everyone,

> I've cleared my cached repositories (TSVN settings, "Log Caching", "Cached Repositories") and, after a reboot, the high CPU usage wasn't reproduced. This may have been a coincidence, and I'll be watching this, but this tip may help others in the meantime. ;-)

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2364723

Stefan Küng

Jun 24, 2009, 12:06:08 PM6/24/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> awesome tip.
>
> it seems to work for me too. But my cache was very small (only a few
> kB for 5 repositories).

Improved startup performance in r16635.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2365003

signature.asc

VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com

Jun 25, 2009, 8:40:53 AM6/25/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Stefan,

Ok, I'll test it when you upload a new 1.6.x branch build and let you
know if this fixes my issue.

On 24 Jun., 18:06, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Improved startup performance in r16635.
>
> Stefan
>
> --
>        ___
>   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
>  (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
>    \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
>    /_/   \_\    http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2365251

Helder Magalhães

Jun 25, 2009, 9:38:14 AM6/25/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Stefan,

> Improved startup performance in r16635.

Thanks for the reviewing this issue. I'll try to check if there are improvements in the next release. :-)

I just noticed the behavior being reproduced (using version 1.6.3) while performing a system restart. Even if this is already fixed, I'm leaving the symptoms for the record, so others can know it's a known issue and has already been fixed:
* High CPU usage for a while (about 15 minuts);
* Memory usage slowly but steadily growing;
* Initial high but quick I/O before the high CPU usage.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the graphed behavior of "TSVNCache.exe" as seen in Process Explorer.

Hope this helps,
Helder

TSVN163-HighCPUUsageOnSystemStartup.png

stepand76

Jul 1, 2009, 4:09:00 AM7/1/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
I just upgraded to 1.6.3 from 1.6.1 and noticed that there is high CPU
usage (TSVNCache.exe). Dowgrading back to 1.6.1.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2366956

Helder Magalhães

Jul 1, 2009, 7:13:40 AM7/1/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi stepand76,

> I just upgraded to 1.6.3 from 1.6.1 and
> noticed that there is high CPU usage
> (TSVNCache.exe). Dowgrading back to 1.6.1.

As stated by Stefan a few posts ago (within this thread), improvements were made post 1.6.3: if you want to try them out, you'll need to use a nightly build or wait for the next release (1.6.4?).

Nevertheless, in my previous post (within this thread) I've seen that the high CPU usage doesn't last forever (although it does take a few minutes).

Hope this helps,
Helder

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2367006

VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com

Jul 1, 2009, 3:03:01 PM7/1/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Stefan,

I've tried the Build 16635 and it is not fixed. I've viewed the log
and I think I found the cause. Till version 16470 everything was ok.
So I've view the changes from 16470 till 16600.

Could you please take a look at revision 16481 (trunk), r16482 (1.6
branch)?

I think all other changes do not effect the cache onyl this change you
made.

On 1 Jul., 13:13, Helder Magalhães <helder.magalh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi stepand76,
>
> > I just upgraded to 1.6.3 from 1.6.1 and
> > noticed that there is high CPU usage
> > (TSVNCache.exe). Dowgrading back to 1.6.1.
>
> As stated by Stefan a few posts ago (within this thread), improvements were made post 1.6.3: if you want to try them out, you'll need to use a nightly build or wait for the next release (1.6.4?).
>
> Nevertheless, in my previous post (within this thread) I've seen that the high CPU usage doesn't last forever (although it does take a few minutes).
>
> Hope this helps,
>  Helder
>

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2367161

1st_SEA

Jul 2, 2009, 12:41:00 PM7/2/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi!
After some update (in June?) I'm also getting 100% cpu.
and nothing helps.
Also it shows wrong icons, and after getting into the folder (with
windows explorer) it draws them slowly one by one, one second to draw
next icon
The wrong icons can be fixed by going one folder up, and then getting
back into project folder.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2367495

Stefan Küng

Jul 2, 2009, 2:16:03 PM7/2/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> I've tried the Build 16635 and it is not fixed. I've viewed the log
> and I think I found the cause. Till version 16470 everything was ok.
> So I've view the changes from 16470 till 16600.
>
> Could you please take a look at revision 16481 (trunk), r16482 (1.6
> branch)?
>
> I think all other changes do not effect the cache onyl this change you
> made.

Can you try the next nightly build please? (16657)

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2367544

signature.asc

Mark Irving

Jul 2, 2009, 5:48:53 PM7/2/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com wrote:
> Could you please take a look at revision 16481 (trunk), r16482 (1.6
> branch)?

Stefan:

> Can you try the next nightly build please? (16657)

I think I can see a problem in the source. Specifically, a test of the form

GetTickCount() - DRIVETYPETIMEOUT > drivetypeticker

is wrong for DRIVETYPETIMEOUT milliseconds after system start-up, and again every 49.7 days or so. But re-ordering as

GetTickCount() - drivetypeticker> DRIVETYPETIMEOUT

works better, provided the measured interval never exceeds 49.7 days.

[I've tried sending this message twice, with a suggested patch which I haven't included this time, and it hasn't got to the list after ten hours. Please accept my apologies if all three attempts arrive.]

- Mark.

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2367618

VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com

Jul 2, 2009, 4:48:09 PM7/2/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
If you upload the next nightly this night, I'll download it tommorow
and test it.

On 2 Jul., 20:16, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you try the next nightly build please? (16657)
>
> Stefan
>
> --
>        ___
>   oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"
>  (_,\/ \_/ \     TortoiseSVN
>    \ \_/_\_/>    The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
>    /_/   \_\    http://tortoisesvn.net
>

> ------------------------------------------------------http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMess...

>  signature.asc
> < 1 KBAnzeigenHerunterladen

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2367591

Stefan Küng

Jul 3, 2009, 3:34:17 AM7/3/09
Mark Irving wrote:
> VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com wrote:
>> Could you please take a look at revision 16481 (trunk), r16482 (1.6
>> branch)?
>
> Stefan:
>> Can you try the next nightly build please? (16657)
>
> I think I can see a problem in the source. Specifically, a test of the form
>
> GetTickCount() - DRIVETYPETIMEOUT > drivetypeticker
>
> is wrong for DRIVETYPETIMEOUT milliseconds after system start-up, and again every 49.7 days or so. But re-ordering as
>
> GetTickCount() - drivetypeticker> DRIVETYPETIMEOUT
>
> works better, provided the measured interval never exceeds 49.7 days.

You're right, I think that's the problem.
Should be fixed in r16658.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"
(_,\/ \_/ \ TortoiseSVN
\ \_/_\_/> The coolest Interface to (Sub)Version Control
/_/ \_\ http://tortoisesvn.net

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2367729

signature.asc

VS2005User (at) googlemail (dot) com

Jul 5, 2009, 3:30:15 PM7/5/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Hi Stefan,

it is fixed for me with 1.6.3.16660 :)

thanks :)

On 3 Jul., 09:34, Stefan Küng <tortoise...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You're right, I think that's the problem.
> Should be fixed in r16658.
>
> Stefan

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2368171

WillemJ

Jul 14, 2009, 3:10:35 AM7/14/09
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
Had the same problem, just tried the nightly build (currently at
16697) and it is fixed for me too.

Thanks,
Willem

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4061&dsMessageId=2371179