High Contrast Desktop Theme Support

Vanhoozer, Dewayne

Sep 3, 2008, 11:51:49 AM9/3/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

<<tsvn_browse_repo_highcontrast.jpg>>
The attached jpeg shows one of the problems that TortoiseSVN has with the MS Windows Theme "High Contrast #1"  This jpeg shows the repo browser.  None of the file names are visible unless selected.  This is a generic problem typically caused when the foreground color is hard coded rather than being taken from the system or, better yet, from a user configuration dialog/file.

Exposure of all color/font settings to the user for modification is an important use case for an aging hacker population.

Dewayne
  O-*

tsvn_browse_repo_highcontrast.jpg

Stefan Küng

Sep 3, 2008, 12:30:08 PM9/3/08
Vanhoozer, Dewayne wrote:
> <<tsvn_browse_repo_highcontrast.jpg>>
> The attached jpeg shows one of the problems that TortoiseSVN has with
> the MS Windows Theme "High Contrast #1" This jpeg shows the repo
> browser. None of the file names are visible unless selected. This is a
> generic problem typically caused when the foreground color is hard coded
> rather than being taken from the system or, better yet, from a user
> configuration dialog/file.
>
> Exposure of_* all*_** color/font settings to the user for modification

> is an important use case for an aging hacker population.

Sorry, but TSVN doesn't use hardcoded colors. I don't need a lecture
about that :)

I don't know why the colors are not right on your system, but I just
tried both high contrast color schemes and they both work with all
dialogs I tried in TSVN.

Make sure that you really use the unmodified color schemes.

Stefan

--
___
oo // \\ "De Chelonian Mobile"

signature.asc

Andy Levy

Sep 3, 2008, 12:40:31 PM9/3/08
On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 12:30, Stefan Küng <torto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vanhoozer, Dewayne wrote:
>> <<tsvn_browse_repo_highcontrast.jpg>>
>> The attached jpeg shows one of the problems that TortoiseSVN has with
>> the MS Windows Theme "High Contrast #1" This jpeg shows the repo
>> browser. None of the file names are visible unless selected. This is a
>> generic problem typically caused when the foreground color is hard coded
>> rather than being taken from the system or, better yet, from a user
>> configuration dialog/file.
>>
>> Exposure of_* all*_** color/font settings to the user for modification
>> is an important use case for an aging hacker population.
>
> Sorry, but TSVN doesn't use hardcoded colors. I don't need a lecture
> about that :)
>
> I don't know why the colors are not right on your system, but I just
> tried both high contrast color schemes and they both work with all
> dialogs I tried in TSVN.
>
> Make sure that you really use the unmodified color schemes.

I just switched to HIgh Contrast #1 on my system and the righthand
pane matches Dewayne's. I didn't mess with any of the settings, just
switched schemes and hit Apply.

TSVN 1.5.1, XP SP2

Vanhoozer, Dewayne

Sep 3, 2008, 12:49:37 PM9/3/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

> Make sure that you really use the unmodified color schemes.

Stefan, thank you for taking the time to look at this. Please forgive,
no lecture was intended.

The attached jpeg shows the colors I have in the settings dialog for
tsvn and in the system display dialog.

All dialogs in tsvn look fine with the exception of the repo browser
that has black on black in its file list.

Dewayne
o-*

tsvn_ColorSettings.jpg
windoze_highcontrast.jpg

Stefan Küng

Sep 3, 2008, 1:02:25 PM9/3/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org

The list control in the repo browser is the windows default list
control. Nothing special.
The only thing we do is to set the 'explorer' theme on it, but that only
works if themeing is enabled (which isn't if a high contrast color is used).
Check whether the following dialogs also show black items:
* Settings->log cache
* Properties
* Log
All those dialogs also use the 'Explorer' theme.

Maybe the high contrast scheme on XP has one color wrong - check all the
colors in your scheme (I'm using Vista here, and everything works as it
should).

signature.asc

Vanhoozer, Dewayne

Sep 3, 2008, 1:14:08 PM9/3/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> Check whether the following dialogs also show black items:
> * Settings->log cache
> * Properties
> * Log

They all look good. Lots of pretty content in all the lists. Behavior
is as expected. Only the repo-browser right pane has the color problem.

Dewayne
o-*

Andy Levy

Sep 3, 2008, 1:49:43 PM9/3/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 13:14, Vanhoozer, Dewayne
<dewayne....@lmco.com> wrote:
>> Check whether the following dialogs also show black items:
>> * Settings->log cache
>> * Properties
>> * Log
>
> They all look good. Lots of pretty content in all the lists. Behavior
> is as expected. Only the repo-browser right pane has the color problem.

Same behavior here.

Stefan Küng

Sep 3, 2008, 2:02:56 PM9/3/08
Andy Levy wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 13:14, Vanhoozer, Dewayne
> <dewayne....@lmco.com> wrote:
>>> Check whether the following dialogs also show black items:
>>> * Settings->log cache
>>> * Properties
>>> * Log
>> They all look good. Lots of pretty content in all the lists. Behavior
>> is as expected. Only the repo-browser right pane has the color problem.
>
> Same behavior here.

It's the background image that XP doesn't like.
I've added a check whether the app is themed and only adds the
background image if it is. That makes the colors work again on XP.

signature.asc

Vanhoozer, Dewayne

Sep 3, 2008, 2:09:39 PM9/3/08
to us...@tortoisesvn.tigris.org
> I've added a check whether the app is themed and only adds the
background image if it is. That makes the colors work again on XP.

Thank you. Where is that tip jar?

Dewayne
o-*

Stefan Küng

Sep 3, 2008, 2:14:48 PM9/3/08
Vanhoozer, Dewayne wrote:
>> I've added a check whether the app is themed and only adds the
> background image if it is. That makes the colors work again on XP.
>
> Thank you. Where is that tip jar?

http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/donate.html

:)

signature.asc