86 sport with a fuel leak

Dan

May 23, 2022, 8:45:09 PM5/23/22
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks!

My epic Tolly has welcomed spring up here in Minnesota with a fuel leak.
I have not been able to find the position of the tank.
Any references/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan Larson
"5 to the Bar"

mich...@oz.net

May 24, 2022, 5:32:27 PM5/24/22
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
You can't find the fuel tank? Follow the fill hose. You have a 1986 but not sure of the length.
Michelle C.

Dan

Jun 4, 2022, 12:11:01 AM6/4/22
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the response, Michelle.
The hose cannot be followed. it is directly placed downward from it's entry position. in the cabin. I would have to remove 2 levels of
storage and sub flooring to obtain any further info on its placement.
If there is any literature on its placement it would be very helpful.

Dan

James K. Maddox

Jun 4, 2022, 10:35:51 AM6/4/22
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
Hello:

I was hoping one of our 30 Sport Sedans would have answered you by now.

The stories about Tollycraft 30 fuel tank leaks and replacements have not been very encouraging if you are looking for a quick fix.

I met an owner in Edmonds a few years ago who reported having the floor of the galley area removed to gain access.  That also included substantial removal of cabinets as well.  It was all restored after installation of new tanks but at what cost?

Most Tollycraft boats can get a fuel tank replaced without major deconstruction other than removing an engine or two.  It can be done in a 26 without removing the engine. In my 37 one or both engines must come out.

Good luck with this.  A good marine repair yard should be able to answer you.

Sent from my iPhone

Dan

Aug 2, 2022, 10:24:34 PM8/2/22
to tollycraft-boa...@googlegroups.com
Michelle,
You were spot-on! I did step back and trace the filler hose.
A few panels that were removable brought me to the findings of a starboard side slow leak in the tank.
A replacement tank was still available from the company that built them years ago in Seattle.!
I found a company here that would tackle the job. While I am mechanically inclined, I did not have the time to
replace it myself. It will be competed in late September by an excellent vendor.
No Tolly this season! Huge letdown for the fam and the frineds who enjoy her with us every summer....

Thank you for the response... cheers.