Google SoC: Gtk# Ribbon Library on 30 Aug 2007

maxi...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2007, 4:18:53 AM8/30/07
to tirania.org blog comments.
Hmm looks awesome, good job! :)

lext...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2007, 4:54:32 AM8/30/07
to tirania.org blog comments.
One license concern - The screen shot is apparently against Microsoft
Ribbon UI license,

1. If you choose to implement these guidelines, you MUST include this
notice in your product: The 2007 Microsoft Office User Interface is
subject to protection under U.S. and international intellectual
property laws and is used by [LICENSEE NAME] under license from
Microsoft.

2. The 2007 Microsoft Office UI consists of the following thirteen
elements: Application Menu, Ribbon, Tabs, Groups, Controls, Ribbon
Resizing, Quick Access Toolbar, Visual Appearance, Keyboard Access,
Contextual Tabs, Galleries, Mini Toolbar, and ScreenTips.

3. All nine of the following required elements MUST be implemented if
any one of the elements is implemented: Application Menu, Ribbon,
Tabs, Groups, Controls, Ribbon Resizing, Quick Access Toolbar, Visual
Appearance, and Keyboard Access. **

4. The following four optional elements are NOT REQUIRED: Contextual
Tabs, Galleries, Mini Toolbar, and ScreenTips. If any one of these
four optional elements are implemented, then all nine of the required
elements MUST be implemented (i.e., Application Menu, Ribbon, Tabs,
Groups, Controls, Ribbon Resizing, Quick Access Toolbar, Visual
Appearance, and Keyboard Access).

Also if I use this Gtk# Ribbon Library to develop a project, am I
required to get a license from Microsoft?

oga...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2007, 5:38:25 AM8/30/07
to tirania.org blog comments.
I am glad to see the wonderful work that went into this implementation
of the ribbon iterface in GTK#, but also want to know about where it
lies on the patent side of things. Because I could readily envision
OpenOffice adopting a branch based on it but quickly being cited as an
aparent infringment of some sort of patent.

Miguel de Icaza

Aug 30, 2007, 9:18:22 AM8/30/07
to tiraniaorg-b...@googlegroups.com, oga...@gmail.com
Hello,

Luckily, there is prior art to the ribbon from years ago, Alan McGovern has
the links, I cant remember them.

This code could not be used in OpenOffice, because this is a pure C# library
and OpenOffice requires code in C++

Miguel de Icaza

Aug 30, 2007, 9:21:18 AM8/30/07
to tiraniaorg-b...@googlegroups.com
Also if I use this Gtk# Ribbon Library to develop a project, am I
required to get a license from Microsoft?

You should talk to a lawyer.

As for where I stand: Ribbon UIs were not invented by Microsoft,
they were popularized by them.

Miguel.

vladimir...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2007, 10:31:43 AM8/30/07
to tirania.org blog comments.
Hi Miguel et al,

The ribbon looks fantastic. Is there any chance of getting a multi-
line tabbed dialog (notebook widget)? Eclipse has the best example of
what I am talking about. GNOME HMI right now is mandating single line
for some reason, but I think it would a great option. the usability
of applications goes way up when you don't have to search for a tab,
but it is right there to be clicked on. This would be great for
MonoDevelop, GEdit and any other GNOME apps that use the notebook
widget.

Rewriting GEdit in C# should be a lot easier than rewriting Firefox,
OpenOffice, and all the other first class citizens.

Thanks,

Vlad

andres...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2007, 12:28:09 PM8/30/07
to tirania.org blog comments.
I think Microsoft's licensing terms for the Ribbon forces you to add
the Application Menu and the Quick Access Toolbar as in Office 2007,
check http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/office/aa973809.aspx.

Miguel de Icaza

Aug 30, 2007, 2:43:10 PM8/30/07
to tiraniaorg-b...@googlegroups.com
The ribbon looks fantastic.  Is there any chance of getting a multi-
line tabbed dialog (notebook widget)?  Eclipse has the best example of
what I am talking about.  GNOME HMI right now is mandating single line
for some reason, but I think it would a great option.  the usability
of applications goes way up when you don't have to search for a tab,
but it is right there to be clicked on.  This would be great for
MonoDevelop, GEdit and any other GNOME apps that use the notebook
widget.

Am not sure I understand, please post a screenshot.

Rewriting GEdit in C# should be a lot easier than rewriting Firefox,
OpenOffice, and all the other first class citizens.

Miguel.

Miguel de Icaza

Aug 30, 2007, 2:44:30 PM8/30/07
to tiraniaorg-b...@googlegroups.com, andres...@gmail.com

It would be good ideas to have those features.

geertv...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2007, 1:13:00 PM9/2/07
to tirania.org blog comments.
Didn´t the Delphi IDE have such a sort of UI element? I learned to
program in Delphi, it's quite a while ago now, but I thought Delphi
had a ribbon-ish UI for adding controls and such..