Nspire Interface

Wayne

May 14, 2009, 11:30:34 PM5/14/09
to tinspire
Please excuse a simple question from a newbie. There is a 25-pin
interface at the bottom of my Nspire CAS. To what does it attach?
Thanks, Wayne

Sean Bird

May 14, 2009, 11:35:15 PM5/14/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
It is for the future...

At some conferences many have seen the completely wireless TI-Nspire Navigator cradle that uses that port. This should be coming out sometime this next school year.

(That was one of my first questions too!)

Sean Bird
Indianapolis, IN

Wayne

May 14, 2009, 11:41:21 PM5/14/09
to tinspire
Sean,
Thank you. I appreciate it.
Wayne
> > Thanks, Wayne- Hide quoted text -

John Hanna

May 18, 2009, 6:27:58 AM5/18/09
to tinspire
What else would you like it to attach to? :)
-John

Pat Flynn

May 18, 2009, 10:41:59 AM5/18/09
to tinspire
I wouldn't mind a keyboard, or better yet, have a keyboard that
attaches to the TI-Npire Navigator to enable better student responses.

Pat

Nelson Sousa

May 18, 2009, 1:50:42 PM5/18/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
A MOUSE!!!!!!!!!
:))))))

Sorry about yelling, but I really, really, really want to be able to
connect a mouse to the TI-Nspire. It's so frustrating using the cursor
when one's developing complex documents... a mouse would make my life
complete! ;)

Nelson

Andy Kemp

May 18, 2009, 1:54:03 PM5/18/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Both!  What we need is a simple dock that you can then plug in a usb mouse/keyboard...

Sean Bird

May 18, 2009, 3:51:03 PM5/18/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Back on March 16, Andy said, "consider the fact that the TI-Navigator system for the TI_Nspire will include a rechargable battery which will power both the wireless part and the calc when connected"

It sounds like we would enjoy using the Nspire Navigator cradle for more than wireless communication. We could use that (or something like it) as the dock to supply extra energy to run things like the mini-usb mouse and keyboard.

Encouraging the dreaming,
Sean Bird

Eagle-Man

May 19, 2009, 3:59:22 AM5/19/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
This is pretty much the only case where USB peripherals like mouse and
keyboard would work well. If there isn't a battery pack, then it
would have to draw power from the calculator itself, which would
probably kill the batteries.

Did anyone try using the mouse/keyboard driver app for the 8x calcs?
What was the battery life like on that?

--Eric

Sean Bird

May 19, 2009, 5:51:13 AM5/19/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
The TI-Keyboard that I've used to take notes, write scripts, and modify programs had its own batteries. It used the I/O cable port. I used it with the 89 and 83/84. I wonder what it would take to make that compatible with the Nspire. It did include special buttons like green diamond.

Eagle-Man

May 19, 2009, 10:22:02 PM5/19/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
"I wonder what it would take to make that compatible with the Nspire."

First of all, a 1/32" data port like the 8xs.

Actually, I was referring to this 8xk application called usb8x:
http://usb8x.sourceforge.net/

It's a USB driver for the TI-84+/SE so you can use (almost) any USB
device on your calc.

Article:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/news/articles/13/130/130297.html

More info:
http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=83Plus:Software:usb8x/Supported_Devices

He also put out a Mass Storage Driver (MSD) GUI found here:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/390/39064.html

Technical info:
http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=83Plus:Software:usb8x/Asm_Interface/MSD

I haven't tried it. Have you?

--Eric

May 22, 2009, 12:20:37 PM5/22/09
to tinspire
What about a USB touchpad instead of a mouse? Or, better still, a
battery-powered keyboard with a built-in touchpad?
Pam

On 20 May, 02:56, Nelson Sousa <nso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've tried the TI-8x USB driver with a mouse and also with a USB
> drive, but at the time there was not any software developed (almost)
> that could make use of it, it was most published as proof-of-concept
> demos.
>
> It seemed like a nice idea, and a promising one, but then the Nspire
> came out and I stoped thinking about mouse drivers for the 84 Plus...
>
> Nelson
>
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 03:22, Eagle-Man <eagle-...@duetsoftware.net> wrote:
>
> > "I wonder what it would take to make that compatible with the Nspire."
>
> > First of all, a 1/32" data port like the 8xs.
>
> > Actually, I was referring to this 8xk application called usb8x:
> >http://usb8x.sourceforge.net/
>
> > It's a USB driver for the TI-84+/SE so you can use (almost) any USB
> > device on your calc.
>
> > Article:
> >http://www.ticalc.org/archives/news/articles/13/130/130297.html
>
> > More info:
> >http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=83Plus:Software:usb8x/Supp...
>
> > He also put out a Mass Storage Driver (MSD) GUI found here:
> >http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/390/39064.html
>
> > Technical info:
> >http://wikiti.brandonw.net/index.php?title=83Plus:Software:usb8x/Asm_...

Nelson Sousa

May 22, 2009, 2:11:48 PM5/22/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
or a touch screen to equip future Nspires? ;)
That'd be really neat!

Nelson

Landy Godbold

May 24, 2009, 4:18:47 PM5/24/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
A number of interface suggestions along these lines were made very early
in the development of Nspire. My recollection is that these were NOT
included because of the "testing entities"--College Board and ACT.

Landy

Eagle-Man

May 24, 2009, 8:33:41 PM5/24/09
to tins...@googlegroups.com
According to a 2002 prototype, and a 2004 patent, Pre-Nspire TI was
trying to put a touch screen on their calcs. Maybe they will again
next time.

http://www.datamath.org/Graphing/PLT-SHH1.htm
http://www.datamath.org/Graphing/JPEG_NSpireA.htm#EP1424626

--Eric

PS: This site is really cool if you're into the technical stuff.