TI-Nspire or TI-Nspire CAS

Carolyn

Feb 13, 2008, 3:21:54 PM2/13/08
to tinspire
OK...I teach Honors Algebra I (8th grade), Honors Pre-cal and AP
Calculus AB and BC. We use the TI-84+ at the moment and have used
that family for years. I don't know enough about the TI-Nspire but I
am going to the T3 conference in Dallas in a couple of weeks and hope
to learn more. My question is in regards to the CAS version vs. the
non-CAS version. Since I am use to the TI-84, is it best to stick
with the non-CAS version or is there a good enough reason to go ahead
and leap into the CAS model? I'm sure I will get different answers
here but I would like some opinions to help as I go. Thanks!

Sean Bird

Feb 13, 2008, 6:07:10 PM2/13/08
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,
Go CAS!

If we were face to face having this conversation, I might ask you what advantages do you see in using a graphing calculator. Besides the visual aspects of seeing slope, you might tell me about the benefits of graphing a large number of equations quickly & exploring how changing the coefficients of, say, a quadratic effects the curve.

The exploring capabilities are greatly magnified with a CAS. Since you teach calculus, you know about having calculator and non-calculator portions on assessments. Having CAS capabilities in the students hands, especially with well designed exploration activities, can deepen students enjoyment and understanding of algebra.

(Over the years I've taught most math classes (except geometry) and I've been teaching calc with a TI-89 ever since they came out.)

Much more can be said, but that's all I have time for now.
--
Sean Bird
AP Physics & Calculus,

Sue

Feb 13, 2008, 8:21:24 PM2/13/08
to tinspire
Carolyn,
I agree with Sean... Go CAS. You will have a chance to learn about the
Nspire handhelds in Dallas (I hope). A colleague of mine (and long-
time friend) is traveling with me to Dallas for the conference. I
advised her to buy the CAS unit. Even though the "basic" Nspire had an
interchangeable keypad, so it can run in 84 mode, it still can't do
all the things the CAS can do.
Believe it or not, my Algebra 1 students have had their hands on the
CAS more than my advanced students. I taught them how to use it to
solve equations with inverse operations. It really helped them
understand the process. I have written an activity for the Activities
Exchange which outlines the process. It's not posted yet (they take
awhile). If you would like, I could email it to you.
Definitely - GO CAS!
Sue

Sean Bird

Feb 13, 2008, 10:30:33 PM2/13/08
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Sue, could that activity be something you post in this forum/group?

Regarding Dallas, I saw that Bernhard Kutzler of Austria is speaking at the same time I am on Saturday morning. Am I wrong in saying that he coined the term 'scaffolding' in regards to the use of CAS. He has some great articles on http://b.kutzler.com/src/download.htm

There is another conference I'm looking forward to in the Chicago area this summer, June 28-29, USA CAS 2008. See http://meecas.org/USACAS/USACASindex.php for more details

--
Sean Bird
Indianapolis, IN

Daniel Dudley

Feb 13, 2008, 11:36:48 PM2/13/08
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I wish that I had the option, my school just became an IB school, and
the IB only allows the N-spire with the 84 keyboard at this time. I
hope that they will re-evaluate this decision, I don't expect them to
ever allow the CAS version. Also, consider that the ACT does not allow
the CAS version if I am not wrong.

Dan

Bryson Perry

Feb 13, 2008, 11:37:01 PM2/13/08
to tinspire
There is a T3 Regional Conference in Chicago on June 26 and 27 so you
can go to both conferences within 4 days in the same city.
More information is available at http://www.lw210.org/T3Conference/index.htm
Bryson

On Feb 13, 10:30 pm, "Sean Bird" <covenantb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sue, could that activity be something you post in this forum/group?
>
> Regarding Dallas, I saw that Bernhard Kutzler of Austria is speaking at the
> same time I am on Saturday morning. Am I wrong in saying that he coined the
> term 'scaffolding' in regards to the use of CAS. He has some great articles
> onhttp://b.kutzler.com/src/download.htm
>
> There is another conference I'm looking forward to in the Chicago area this
> summer, June 28-29, USA CAS 2008. Seehttp://meecas.org/USACAS/USACASindex.phpfor more details
>
> --
> Sean Bird
> Indianapolis, INhttp://cs3.covenantchristian.org/bird

Bryson Perry

Feb 13, 2008, 11:38:30 PM2/13/08
to tinspire
I have heard that they are trying to get the TI-Nspire approved for
IB, but has not done so yet.
Bryson

On Feb 13, 11:36 pm, "Daniel Dudley" <Dani...@verdevalleyschool.org>
wrote:
> here but I would like some opinions to help as I go.  Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Sean Bird

Feb 13, 2008, 11:53:46 PM2/13/08
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Quite right, but since Carolyn teaches AP Calc AB & BC, she may enjoy Nspire CAS, as it is permitted on all the  math & science AP exams and the SAT.

I know that was a persuasive factor for me to go ahead and make the switch to Nspire CAS from an 89.

As an aside, in my physics class my students use the 83/84s that they are required to have for Alg II and beyond. Therefore, I had enjoyed using TI-SmartView with my SMART Board for those classes and the 89 emulator for calc & 2nd year physics. However with this mixed classroom and my dedication to the 89 for calc, I have yet to really try TI-Navigator since the newer one wouldn't work with the 89. I've been impressed with its capabilities, but if I couldn't use it in all my classes I didn't want to ask the school to make that kind of investment. I'm really looking forward to what will be coming out with the Navigator for the Nspire.

--
Sean Bird
AP Physics & Calculus,
Math & Science Technology Coordinator
Covenant Christian High School
7525 West 21st Street
Indianapolis, IN 46214
Website: http://cs3.covenantchristian.org/bird
work Email: sean...@covenantchristian.org
personal Email: covena...@gmail.com
Psalm 111:2  "Great are the works of the LORD, studied by all who delight in them."

Carolyn

Feb 15, 2008, 3:16:19 PM2/15/08
to tinspire
Thanks to all that responded to my question about CAS or not. I just
today had a chance to follow-up on my question. Between your
for my situation. Looking forward to meeting some of you there :-)

Sue, I would love to get a copy of your activity. Thanks for the
offer.
Carolyn

Morse, Dana

Feb 15, 2008, 3:45:39 PM2/15/08
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I have heard many educators buying the CAS for themselves since many teach Stats and Calculus along with Algebra, Geometry and Algebra II. They can do it all with the CAS unit. Just as long as the students enrolled in the non AP courses aren't buying units not allowed for assessments.

Regards,

Dana F. Morse
Educational Technology Consultant
Texas Instruments, New York