Trouble updating handhelds to 3.0.2

Steve Phelps

May 29, 2011, 5:16:42 PM5/29/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I was able to update about half of my handhelds using Navigator. The other half would not update. Instead, I receive an error message about the operating system being corrupt (or something to the effect). I deleted and re-downloaded the OS a couple more times, would be able to get one or two more handlheld updated, but still have a dozen that will not update.

Even tried installing the OS from another handheld, but was unsuccessful. Anyone else having this issue?

Nelson Sousa

May 29, 2011, 6:44:54 PM5/29/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I did. I just tried to update my Nspire CAS touchpad and couldn't
install the OS. The problem isn't the file being corrupt, as you can
upgrade other units with that same file. It's most likely something
wrong in the boot code.

Next step: maintenance menu, delete OS. The option 2 wasn't working.

Next step: do a full format (which also deletes the OS). After the
format went through, install the OS again. Then it worked :)

Nelson

> --
> The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
> http://lafacroft.com/archive/nspire.php

Ray Fox

May 29, 2011, 9:54:05 PM5/29/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I had the same problem.
Make sure the batteries are fresh.
I did the reset, (paper clip in the back)
Then was able to load the rest of the OS for the rest of the hhs.

Ray

Joe

May 29, 2011, 10:00:15 PM5/29/11
to tinspire
A good reason for me to go back to my original plan. Until I can be
assured that I will get an nspire cx cas with the latest OS installed
and the bugs of the previous OS fixed I don't want one. I indicated
that previously and soneone said something to the effect that updating
is a very quick process. Yeah, sure.

Nelson Sousa

May 30, 2011, 5:43:22 AM5/30/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Problem occurred, problem fixed. Took me 15 minutes total. Yep, quick.

Nelson

Joe

May 30, 2011, 7:26:31 AM5/30/11
to tinspire
Anticipated problems with the latest OS. Problem didn't effect me.
Total time-zero. Yep, quick.
Nelson, we all know that you are an expert in these matters and what
you did is what I would expect from a genius. Unfortunately the
average person who buys a calculator is not in your league.
> >http://lafacroft.com/archive/nspire.php- Hide quoted text -

Andy Kemp

May 30, 2011, 7:36:22 AM5/30/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Whilst I agree with Nelson general abilities, I don't think any of them were really necessary to install the OS!

I have never had an issue with installing an OS that wasn't resolved by using fully charged batteries!

In the absolute worst case scenario you would simply have to enter the maintenance menu (hold down Doc+EE+Enter and press reset button on the back) then follow the menu to remove the OS and then re-upload...

However if the very small possibility of this happening, and you having to spend a few minutes to rectify it, seems like too much work then by all means wait until you are sure which OS you are getting installed...

Nelson Sousa

May 30, 2011, 7:59:12 AM5/30/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
The average person won't face problems, these affect a small
percentage of the population.

You definetely won't face any problems, yon don't even have a
TI-Nspire to update in the first place! I keep hearing form you all
sorts of reasons why you're not going to buy a TI-Nspire, but
unfortunately I never got the chance to hear about your first hand
experience.

Nelson

Joe

May 30, 2011, 8:21:13 AM5/30/11
to tinspire
Thanks Andy. By comparison I recently updated the version of Java on
my computer and didn't have to crutch the update by removing the
previous version or press the reset button on the back, etc. There
are a lot of demands on my time and I just don't have time to deal
with this stuff.

Andy Kemp

May 30, 2011, 8:30:44 AM5/30/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
You are lucky then I have had several very bad experiences trying to upgrade Java!  Many of which have taken more than an hour to resolve rather than 5mins.. But if you are that busy that you can't take the risk of an extra 5-10mins work then that is up to you... but in that case why are you wasting (that valuable) time reading about a handheld you aren't ready to buy?

Surely it would make more sense to use that time for other things until you are in a position to spend those potential 5-10mins on an upgrade?

Joe

May 30, 2011, 8:57:05 AM5/30/11
to tinspire
Andy, if I reply to your post and the one from Nelson, based on past
experience Rex is sure to step in and end the conversation. Thank you
for your suggestion.

Karl

May 30, 2011, 9:55:44 AM5/30/11
to tinspire
Yes, we were having the same issue. Update to 3.0.2 with the
Navigator worked for a few Nspires, then I got the same error
message. Downloading a new copy off the TI website did not resolve
it. Updating handheld-to-handheld or connected to the computer gave
the same results....error message. A call to TI-Cares seems to have
resolved the issue, although it required a little extra time. Each
Nspire had to be reset (paper clip in the back did the trick). After
that, handheld-to-handheld update and wireless updating worked.