3D parametric plots - yes, we can.

Nelson Sousa

May 3, 2011, 5:18:49 PM5/3/11
to tinspire
Hi all.

A while back there was some talk here about 3D parametric plots and
the fact that OS 3.0 doesn't allow them. Well, now it does ;) I
created a TNS file that plots up to three 3D parametric curves and
allows free rotation and graph trace.

Here's the link:
http://nelsonsousa.pt/index.php?lang=en&cat=2&subcat=3&article=61
As usual, it's available in both Portuguese and English.

It requires TI-Nspire 3.0 though, so if you didn't upgrade your
software/handheld, you'll have to wait until 3.0 is available again.

Next on my to do list: 3D parametric surfaces and 3D scatter plots. As
soon as I have enough time for it (which may or may not happen,
unfortunately).

Blatant and utterly unnecessary provocation: this is what happens when
one doesn't spend too much time complaining about what's missing on
the Nspire OS. May be slow, may be awkward, may be unnecessarily
complex. But it's definetely better than all other 3D parametric plot
tools for the Nspire available out there (which are, as far as I know,
non-existant; if you know of another one let me know, I'd like to test
it).

And it's not yet another port of Quake.

Have fun!
Nelson

Steve Arnold

May 3, 2011, 5:26:11 PM5/3/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Lovely work as always - thank you Nelson!

Sent from my iPhone

--
With best wishes,
Steve

T3 Fellow, Teachers Teaching with Technology Australia

Office: +61-2-4232-2080
Mobile: +61-4-0175-3834
US contact: +1 (707) 927 0280

Web: http://compasstech.com.au

> --
> The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
> http://lafacroft.com/archive/nspire.php

John Hanna

May 3, 2011, 6:04:20 PM5/3/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
http://nelsonsousa.pt/index.php?lang=en&cat=2&subcat=3&article=61

What? No doc player??? Great work, Nelson!

John Hanna
jeh...@optonline.net
www.johnhanna.us
T3 - Teachers Teaching with Technology
"A cowchip is paradise to a fly."

Hi all.

Have fun!
Nelson

Nelson Sousa

May 3, 2011, 6:13:57 PM5/3/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Naaaa... I was going to until I read here that the doc player only
shows computer view and I optimized it for handheld view. :)

Sean Bird

May 3, 2011, 6:50:35 PM5/3/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Well done Nelson! I appreciate how it looks like it is in the default 3D environment.

John Hanna

May 3, 2011, 8:49:19 PM5/3/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
It looks great in computer view, too, Nelson.

Luke Setzer

May 4, 2011, 8:34:39 AM5/4/11
to tinspire
Nelson, I just want to thank you personally for all you do for this
group. You are a tremendous value to the advancement of the
technology. I know it can be a thankless job. So thank you. Your
contributions to the calculator community are, well, incalculable.

Jimmy Fullerenex

May 4, 2011, 9:22:59 AM5/4/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Can't agree with you more. In fact, Nelson's awesome website and downloads provided me with the very first inspiration on my journey with Nspire.

P.S. The only downside of this non-built-in plotter is that the "CPU-intensive" issue is quite serious on my hh. I still hope TI company can build the functionality into later OS. But right now, Nelson's creation serves as the best remedy (and inspiration), of course.
Cheers,
Jimmy Fullerenex

Nelson Sousa

May 4, 2011, 9:35:02 AM5/4/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all for your kind words.
Unfortunately I don't have much time to develop nowadays, so a lot of
projects are halted indefinetely :(

When OS 3.0 is out again I'll upgrade one of my handhelds and try to
improve performance, but I make no promises ;)

Cheers,
Nelson

Jimmy Fullerenex

May 4, 2011, 9:44:06 AM5/4/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nelson,
Just out of curiosity, will you buy the CX handhelds when they're available? Besides, is it true that the CX student software will be included in a single retail along with the hh?
Cheers,
Jimmy Fullerenex

Andy Kemp

May 4, 2011, 10:44:00 AM5/4/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Yes, since 2.0 the student software has been included with the handheld.

Nelson Sousa

May 4, 2011, 11:14:15 AM5/4/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I don't think I'll buy the CX handheld. I'm not involved in teaching
or training anymore (TI-Nspire development is just a hobby), my
clickpad and touchpad are more than enough for my needs. I'll keep
updating the software though :)

Cheers,
Nelson

lee kucera

May 4, 2011, 11:27:45 AM5/4/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I have touchpad and clickpad units also, both CAS and Numeric, that I rarely use--preferring the software for ease of reading, etc. The CX resolution, backlighting, whatever, is so much better. I actually use my CX hh to try out tns file, etc. I put the teacher and student documents up on my laptop, load the file on my hh, and work through it. I never did that with the grayscale units. It is a vast improvement in visibility--especially for us with non-teenage eyes.
lk

Cheers,
Nelson

lee kucera
a.p. statistics
leek...@gmail.com

Jimmy Fullerenex

May 4, 2011, 10:14:17 PM5/4/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
So Lee, you mean CX hh is already available? (the website never says anything other than "coming soon")
Cheers,
Jimmy Fullerenex

Lana Golembeski

May 4, 2011, 11:04:01 PM5/4/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
no. He probably has a beta test calculator. We just have to wait!!
lana

Jimmy Fullerenex

May 4, 2011, 11:08:25 PM5/4/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Oh yes. I wish I have a beta-testing version too! I can't wait for CX to come. ; )
Cheers,
Jimmy Fullerenex

Lana Golembeski

May 4, 2011, 11:16:36 PM5/4/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Me too! I have had the chance to work with one and they are awesome!

Jimmy Fullerenex

May 4, 2011, 11:49:05 PM5/4/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Gray scale is now coloured---- judging from the momentum of this giant leap, I feel for sure that TI will introduce Nspire touch-screen sooner or later. (since some of Casio calcs already do)

Jimmy Fullerenex

May 5, 2011, 12:03:54 AM5/5/11
to Nspire Group
Lee: are you now still participating in devising newer OS?
If so, I wish TI math development team will incorporate more Statistical tools into later OS. (MANOVA; ANCOVA; non-parametric inference methods such as Mann-Whitney U, Wilcoxon signed-rank test, etc., should be present :-D) I'll probably choose to major in statistics. Nspire also lacks several important math functions(which seem to be present in Casio CAS), like gamma, zeta, beta functions and Laplace transformation.
I'll really appreciate it if you could propose my suggestion to the team. THX
Cheers,
Jimmy Fullerenex

2011/5/5 lee kucera <leek...@gmail.com>
It is my understanding that touch screen is under development and not too far out.  I overhead an ETC tell a good customer at T3 International that holding off on purchasing a class set of CS might be OK.  But any time line is a well guarded secret to which I am not privy.

lk

lee kucera

May 5, 2011, 12:12:03 AM5/5/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Jimmy:

I'll be happy to pass your thoughts on.  TI has people monitoring this Nspire list so post your requests for statistics functions here.

lk

Jimmy Fullerenex

May 5, 2011, 1:01:10 AM5/5/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
THX Lee. But what do you mean by  "TI has people monitoring this Nspire list so post your requests for statistics functions here."?
So TI officials also visit Nspire googlegroup and will actually adopt my suggestions here?

Joe

May 5, 2011, 3:54:11 PM5/5/11
to tinspire
"So TI officials also visit Nspire googlegroup and will actually adopt
my suggestions here?"

No, not exactly Jimmy. People have been asking ti to add the missing
functionality that other calcs have, like the missing Laplace
capability that you mention, since nspire was introduced about 4 years
ago but ti has ignored those requests. It is not clear, at least not
to me, why ti doesn't feel that their product has to be mathematically
competitive.

On May 4, 10:01 pm, Jimmy Fullerenex <smoat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> THX Lee. But what do you mean by  "TI has people monitoring this Nspire list
> so post your requests for statistics functions here."?
> So TI officials also visit Nspire googlegroup and will actually adopt my
> suggestions here?
> Cheers,
> Jimmy Fullerenex
>
> 2011/5/5 lee kucera <leekuc...@gmail.com>
>

> > Jimmy:
>
> > I'll be happy to pass your thoughts on.  TI has people monitoring this
> > Nspire list so post your requests for statistics functions here.
>
> > lk
>
> > On May 4, 2011, at 9:03 PM, Jimmy Fullerenex wrote:
>
> > Lee: are you now still participating in devising newer OS?
> > If so, I wish TI math development team will incorporate more Statistical
> > tools into later OS. (MANOVA; ANCOVA; non-parametric inference methods such
> > as Mann-Whitney U, Wilcoxon signed-rank test, etc., should be present :-D)
> > I'll probably choose to major in statistics. Nspire also lacks
> > several important math functions(which seem to be present in Casio CAS),
> > like gamma, zeta, beta functions and Laplace transformation.
> >  I'll really appreciate it if you could propose my suggestion to the team.
> > THX
> > Cheers,
> > Jimmy Fullerenex
>
> > 2011/5/5 lee kucera <leekuc...@gmail.com>
>
> >> It is my understanding that touch screen is under development and not too
> >> far out.  I overhead an ETC tell a good customer at T3 International that
> >> holding off on purchasing a class set of CS might be OK.  But any time line
> >> is a well guarded secret to which I am not privy.
>
> >> lk
>
> >> On May 4, 2011, at 8:49 PM, Jimmy Fullerenex wrote:
>
> >> Gray scale is now coloured---- judging from the momentum of this giant
> >> leap, I feel for sure that TI will introduce Nspire touch-screen sooner or
> >> later. (since some of Casio calcs already do)
> >>  Cheers,
> >> Jimmy Fullerenex

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

Nelson Sousa

May 5, 2011, 4:06:31 PM5/5/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 20:54, Joe <wjb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "So TI officials also visit Nspire googlegroup and will actually adopt
> my suggestions here?"
>
> No, not exactly Jimmy.  People have been asking ti to add the missing
> functionality that other calcs have, like the missing Laplace
> capability that you mention, since nspire was introduced about 4 years
> ago but ti has ignored those requests.  It is not clear, at least not
> to me, why ti doesn't feel that their product has to be mathematically
> competitive.

Huge distortion of facts there Joe, even for you.

Yes, there are people at TI that read (and sometimes reply) to
messages posted here.
Yes, TI has implemented features that were first suggested here (or
were suggested here as well as in other places).

And yes, despite Joe asking for Laplace transforms since pre-historic
ages, it wasn't implemented on the Nspire CAS so far. What this means
is that opinions expressed here are taken into account. They may or
may not be implemented, I don't know which criteria are behind such
decision (and therefore, I don't try to guess).

Nelson

Joe

May 5, 2011, 4:31:50 PM5/5/11
to tinspire
Nice job on that program to plot 3d curves Nelson. To come out with
that so quickly was awesome.

Nelson Sousa

May 5, 2011, 5:00:00 PM5/5/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

It's not as much a matter of complexity or effort, but more of having
the right ideas to solve a specific problem.

Cheers,
Nelson

Jimmy Fullerenex

May 5, 2011, 9:36:20 PM5/5/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nelson, have you ever worked with Lua? if your 3D curve plotter is written in Lua, I'm sure it'll function much quicker (and more awesome) (I understand you're really busy... but this can well be a possibility for future consideration ;-) )
Cheers,
Jimmy Fullerenex