OS 2.1.0.631

Daniel Tran

Apr 28, 2011, 6:56:47 AM4/28/11
to tinspire
Why Ti put the old OS back on their site? OS 2.1.0.631

Lionel Debroux

Apr 28, 2011, 7:02:12 AM4/28/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

> Why Ti put the old OS back on their site? OS 2.1.0.631

Because OS 3.0 yields all kinds of trouble, starting with bricking
dozens of calculators. Read threads over the past week for more information.
Having to fix the calculators bricked by their bugs costs TI money and
reputation.

Lionel.

Daniel Tran

Apr 28, 2011, 7:18:31 AM4/28/11
to tinspire
wow...thank you
any recommendation for those who already installed os 3?

Lionel Debroux

Apr 28, 2011, 7:25:39 AM4/28/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
> > > Why Ti put the old OS back on their site? OS 2.1.0.631
> >
> > Because OS 3.0 yields all kinds of trouble, starting with bricking
> > dozens of calculators. Read threads over the past week for more
> > information.
> > Having to fix the calculators bricked by their bugs costs TI money
> > and reputation.
> wow...thank you
> any recommendation for those who already installed os 3?
If you haven't removed the boot2 3.0 upgrade with the TNOC tool, as
described on multiple news sites and forums of the open TI community,
before transferring OS 3.0 to your calculator:
* disable hibernation and don't reboot your calculator (because the
bricking becomes visible in the next reboot) until TI releases a
bugfixed version;
* pray for the bug not to trigger :)

Lionel.

Sean Bird

Apr 28, 2011, 7:31:56 AM4/28/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
My take on it is it shows that TI listens. If you have installed 3.0 and things are working, then you will be fine. You get to enjoy the fun new features.
For whoever it may be who installed 3.0 on their older device and it isn't working for some reason, it seems clear that TI wants to get to the bottom of this so it doesn't happen to others. It is good to demonstrate quality customer service and provide for a replacement or fix, but it is even more pleasant and kind to help ensure that others don't have difficulties.
I won't speculate further about any other good that may come out of the temporary absence of the availability of 3.0 on the website.
(Knowing me, I'll continue updating any students' Nspire who needs an update.)

For my classroom set of TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad and for all of my students who have updated their TI-Nspire CAS there have not been any issues. Also I've been enjoying the CX with 3.0.

- Sean Bird
Indianapolis, IN

Lionel Debroux

Apr 28, 2011, 8:04:53 AM4/28/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
> If you have installed 3.0 and things are working, then you will be
> fine.
"If you have installed 3.0 and things are working *even after a second
reboot (a reboot from OS 3.0)*, then you will be fine." :)
What makes the bug nasty is that it doesn't immediately appear, only on
the next reboot.

Daniel, the bug affects only a minority of calculators, but it's severe
enough to require repair by the customer service, or by any third-party
possessing a suitable RS232-TTL or USB-TTL adapter.

Lionel.

Daniel Tran

Apr 28, 2011, 8:14:55 AM4/28/11
to tinspire
Hey Lionel,
What do you mean by reboot? Turn off and On again or turn on after
hibernation?

I have had my calc hibernated several times but didn't have any issue
yet.

Andy Kemp

Apr 28, 2011, 8:28:01 AM4/28/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
If you calc has restarted at least once following hibernation then you
are absolutely fine...

Sent from my iPhone

> --
> The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
> http://lafacroft.com/archive/nspire.php

Nelson Sousa

Apr 28, 2011, 9:25:48 AM4/28/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
reboot can be achieved by:
a) maintenance menu;
b) leaving the calc hibernated for a long period of time (how long is
defined on the system settings)
c) removing the battery(ies) for a few seconds;
d) updating the OS (after the update it reboots).

Simply turning it off and then back on doesn't reboot it just enters
and exits the hibernate state.

Nelson

Andy Kemp

Apr 28, 2011, 9:31:12 AM4/28/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Or pressing the 'reset button' on the back...

Al Coons

Apr 28, 2011, 2:25:51 PM4/28/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Sorry. I cannot keep up will all my different discussions groups. Which versions of Nspires have been bricked by the bug in OS 3, all? All but CX's? or?

Thanks,

Al

Lionel Debroux

Apr 28, 2011, 3:37:01 PM4/28/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
> Which versions of Nspires have been bricked by the bug in OS 3, all?
> All but CX's? or?
The CX models are not affected, but the older models are.

Lionel.

Joe

Apr 28, 2011, 5:35:06 PM4/28/11
to tinspire
Hm-m-m, so TI's solution to the problem is to not upgrade non-cx
calc's to 3.0. Problem fixed. End of story. Or will they come out
with another OS version for older calcs that provides the features of
3.0?

Lana Golembeski

Apr 28, 2011, 6:08:48 PM4/28/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Am sure they will. They just need to fix the bugs! Mine works fine!

Sent from my iPhone
Lana