Summer Workshop recommendations

Sean Bird

Mar 2, 2011, 8:47:45 PM3/2/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
The registration site is now live http://www.tinspire2011.com/

So besides location and dates, you also need to decide which workshop to attend and which new TI-Nspire CX you want ... to CAS or not to CAS.

I'll weigh in on a couple of these and give my recommendation. Most teachers who see the CAS wish they had picked that one when they come to a workshop. As a teacher they are not restricted to what they will use on a test. The one issue may be emulating what they students have with the built-in TI-SmartView on the Teacher Software. The 3.0 teacher software will emulate all three (Clickpad, Touchpad, and CX) of whichever you pick, numeric or CAS. The menu options on the numeric and CAS are the same on most the Apps with the notable exception of the Calculator App. Menu > Algebra or Calculus have a lot more options on the CAS.
You get more for your money if you choose the CAS; at retail it is a few dollar more expensive. I respect whichever decision participants make. We all have many reasons for choosing what we do, it is just nice to have some more information going into that decision.

I received a question about which to attend. Here is my recommendation.
“Getting Started with TI-Nspire” 3-Day Workshops
  • Middle Grades Math - obviously, for middle school teachers. Although they may also enjoy Connecting Math & Science

  • Algebra - If you primarily teach Alg and/or Alg II. Again if you are looking for more application ideas to give increased relevance, you would also like Connecting Math & Science

  • High School Math - Probably best for people who teach mostly above the algebra level.

  • High School Science - Want to get a lot of hands-on with Vernier probes, the new Lab Cradle? Do you teach Biology or Chemistry? There will definitely also be some nice things in there for Physics or physical science teachers. Math teachers have heard about Math Nspired, well now there is coming Science Nspired. This is a great year to be a science teacher and use TI technology.

  • Connecting Math and Science - Help students learn how mathematics and science are connected to their lives. This STEM initiative workshop will equip teachers to excite and engage students with real-world problems and data. This workshop is designed for beginners with the TI-Nspire™ CX, provides classroom-ready activities and explorations using data collection probes and TI-Nspire documents. Make the most of this opportunity by attending as a science/math team. Return to your school and make important connections for students across your math/science curriculum.  With the availability of STEM money, I would think this will be an easier workshop to get funding for.

Intermediate User
  • Algebra- This will be just the thing for those who have been to a previous workshop or who have gone though enough of the online tutorials to be ready to really move into the implementation phase

  • High School Math - Most high school teachers have a number of preps. You would prefer to get some great material for several of your classes in the same workshop? Then this is the section for you.

Lana Golembeski

Mar 2, 2011, 9:04:07 PM3/2/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Something else to consider. Most of my students already have a Ti 83/84. So getting an nspire Doesn't get them much. They have a calculator for the restricted exams.so I agree w sean. The cas is what I would get. And it sure helps a teacher to have one to check a students work.

Sent from my iPhone
Lana
The tns documents shared by group members are archived at
http://lafacroft.com/archive/nspire.php

Bikash Jain

Mar 2, 2011, 10:29:02 PM3/2/11
to tinspire
Is the course available online too?

With regards,
Bikash Jain

On Mar 3, 7:04 am, Lana Golembeski <golem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> > Intermediate User
> > Algebra- This will be just the thing for those who have been to a previous workshop or who have gone though enough of the online tutorials to be ready to really move into the implementation phase
>
> > High School Math - Most high school teachers have a number of preps. You would prefer to get some great material for several of your classes in the same workshop? Then this is the section for you.
>
> > --
> > The tns documents shared by group members are archived at

Sean Bird

Mar 3, 2011, 5:58:14 AM3/3/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
According to http://www.tinspire2011.com/ the summer course is not currently online. I do know that there will be more offerings, like in Chicago and Atlanta area. Online opportunities are a possibility later on.

If professional development funds are available to you this summer, it is an exciting time to take advantage of that.

Whether you are new to the TI-Nspire or just want to learn more about 3.0 and get a CX handheld for the 'admission' price, this is a good year to do a summer workshop. There are so many new features with the latest OS and new hardware: 3D, Diff eq, fun new statistical features, PublishView, Vernier DataQuest App, lessons for middle school and much more.
On top of that there are many more classes addressed with Math Nspired and the all new Science Nspired lessons to tackle the tough-to-teach and tough-to-learn topics. There will also be more NASA TI-Nspire activities.
And all this in COLOR!

Wow, what a summer.

You can also combine vacation and professional development. For example, Orange City, Florida in early June would be lovely. It is only about 40 minutes away from the beach.
Indianapolis is a nice family destination. We have the best Children's Museum. My family enjoyed our visit to Chatam, Illinois in the past. There is some great Abraham Lincoln historic sites in the area.
I hear Montana is nice in August.  I recently came across this event website to find out what is going on in a particular area during a certain time frame.

Travis Bower

Mar 3, 2011, 10:29:06 AM3/3/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
The west coast has has some okay places too, smirk.
SJCapistrano is on the coast as is Goleta.  Goleta?  Okay, perhaps better known as Santa Barbara, CA  There are a couple of nice things to see here --intended understatement!
Indeed, what a great time to get educated and enthused.  [only $350 for 3 days and get a CX!]

Sean Bird

Mar 3, 2011, 6:46:01 PM3/3/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
More news: I saw at http://www.tinspire2011.com/ that they are offering the same discount as the T-cubed International Conference. For every 5 participants you get one free. Also the Connecting Math & Science has a $50 discount if math & science teachers come as a team.
There is also a crazy good deal for pre-service teachers, $125 for those who qualify.

I did find out that they are planning to do one section of Getting Started with TI-Nspire - High School Math as an online course. This will be a trial to see how well it works.
I'll keep you posted when dates and registration for that become available. The cost should be the same, $350, and you'll get the handheld and Teacher Software. You'll save on travel and housing.

In the past I've had participants from all over the country and Hong Kong come to Indy for a TI-Nspire workshop.

I know I have really enjoyed the face-to-face professional development and the interaction with the other participants. Perhaps it will work out well with the interactivity that things like Webex allows.  I wonder if it will use the same kind of technology that the 'Virtual' User Group Meeting that Michael Houston is hosting next week.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 2:58 AM, Sean Bird <covena...@gmail.com> wrote:
At to http://www.tinspire2011.com/ registration for the summer TI-Nspire workshop is now open. I do know that there will be more offerings, like in Chicago and Atlanta area. Online opportunities are a possibility later on.

[...]

Indianapolis, IN
http://bird-godlydominion.blogspot.com/

Michael Houston

Mar 3, 2011, 9:19:20 PM3/3/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Sean-

Thanks for reminding me, I wanted to send out one last reminder email for those who wanted to register for the online user group meeting next week.  Again, if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to contact me at mhou...@riverside.k12.pa.us.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hello all!

I've worked though the bugs and red tape of making a TI-nSpire online user group possible and we're a go!

A brief description of my goals:
I have run a local user group for TI in the past, and I wanted to reach a broader spectrum of teachers and have a greater pool of ideas and collaboration.  So, the birth of the online user group was created.  I will hold monthly meetings so educators can exchange ideas, share new and exciting things, and foster friendships.

I'm in.  Tell me more!  Please join us for our first official meeting on Wednesday March 9th, 2011 at 8pm EST.  The meeting will last 1 hour, and will include 2 short interactive presentations by T3 Instructors Josh Underdonk and Sean Bird.  In addition, I hope to have the time to discuss how Nspire is being used in the classroom.  Each month the technology will remain the same (Nspire/Nspire CAS) but the content might change (Algebra 1, Geometry, Calculus, etc...)

**If you have never participated in an online meeting or have never used WebEx and want a "trial run", I'm going to hold a 15 minute meeting on Monday March 7th, 2011 at 8pm EST.  You can go through the process of joining the meeting and troubleshooting any issues you might have.  In order to participate in the trial run meeting, you'll need to register using the link below:

**In order to participate in the online meeting on March 9th, you'll need to register.  Use the link below to register for the meeting on Wednesday March 9th, 2011 at 8pm EST:

If you think others might benefit from joining a group such as this, please feel free to forward this email and information to them.

Questions?  Let me know.

Mike Houston
Riverside High School
Ellwood City, PA

norma...@gmail.com

Mar 6, 2011, 11:32:48 AM3/6/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
When trying to register for the meeting I get a certificate warning... any idea why?

Michael Houston

Mar 6, 2011, 11:58:50 AM3/6/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
No, but I've created a workaround.

For the Mar 7th (trial) meeting, register at the following link: https://rsdemail.riverside.k12.pa.us/owa/redir.aspx?C=1c2ad93ee4d147b2be666d2523abb869&URL=https%3a%2f%2ftiedtech.webex.com%2ftiedtech%2fj.php%3fED%3d150834037%26RG%3d1%26UID%3d1201427372%26RT%3dMiMxMQ%253D%253D

For the Mar 9th meeting, register at the following link: https://rsdemail.riverside.k12.pa.us/owa/redir.aspx?C=1c2ad93ee4d147b2be666d2523abb869&URL=https%3a%2f%2ftiedtech.webex.com%2ftiedtech%2fj.php%3fED%3d150834472%26RG%3d1%26UID%3d1201434447%26RT%3dMiMxMQ%253D%253D

Sorry for the trouble.
mike

Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 16:32:48 +0000
Subject: Re: [tinspire] Texas Instruments Online User Group Meeting
From: norma...@gmail.com
To: tins...@googlegroups.com

When trying to register for the meeting I get a certificate warning... any idea why?

Norma Kronenberg

Mar 6, 2011, 12:01:56 PM3/6/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
I still get the same certificate warning.

Michael Houston

Mar 6, 2011, 12:29:03 PM3/6/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
My apologies.  I guess I need a workaround for my workaround.  I've sent the invitations for both meeting to the google group through WebEx.  Hopefully that will solve any issues.

mike

> Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 12:01:56 -0500

> Subject: Re: [tinspire] Texas Instruments Online User Group Meeting
> From: norma...@gmail.com
> To: tins...@googlegroups.com
>
> I still get the same certificate warning.

Nelson Sousa

Mar 6, 2011, 6:46:16 PM3/6/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Certificate warnings are generated from the browser when the digital
signature of the server isn't on a list of recognized entities, as a
means to prevent site forgery.

The site is on https, meaning it's an encrypted connection. Such
connections require encryption keys to be exchanged between the server
and the browser and a valid authenticity certificate to be supplied by
the server so that the browser can verify its identity. When that
certificate is valid (issued by verisign or other well known
certification entity), the identity of the server can be assured and
you can trust you are on the website you think you are.

It basically works like this: you go to, for example, gmail's website;
it's a secure connection (see the https on the address bar? S stands
for secure); the site claims to be Gmail and presents your browser
with an encryption key. But there's no way to be sure the site is
actually gmail, it could be a spoof. Certificates come into place and
a 3rd party the browser trusts (there are a bunch of these) vouches
for that site's identity and confirms that the encryption key you were
given belongs in fact to gmail, and the site you're visiting is gmail,
not a fake. This is of crucial importance for online bank services,
online taxes, email accounts, etc, but of relative or small importance
for non mission critical services (like event registration).

Having said this,

Mike: that's a login page for a ms outlook email system, which will
redirect upon login to a TI webex page. Are you sure you got the link
right?

Cheers,
Nelson

Sean Bird

Mar 9, 2011, 7:55:54 PM3/9/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com

Bikash Jain

Mar 10, 2011, 7:11:33 AM3/10/11
to tinspire
I missed it! :(

Any replay or recorded one? Any lcuk?

On Mar 10, 5:55 am, Sean Bird <covenantb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps this will help?https://tiedtech.webex.com/mw0306lc/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=tiedtech

Michael Houston

Mar 10, 2011, 11:21:33 AM3/10/11
to tins...@googlegroups.com
Hi-

I didn't record this because of the nature of the meeting.  Maybe in the future I'll consider recording the meetings...The next meeting will be April 14th, 8pm EST.  Be on the lookout for the registration.

mike