TW-OS a TiddlyWiki Operating System

Måns

May 2, 2011, 6:25:23 PM5/2/11
to TiddlyWiki
Hi TwWizards

I've spent a few hours working on an OS especially designed for
TiddlyWiki.
It's based on BrowserLinux by puppyMartin from the Puppy Linux
community...

I'm always using pretty modest hardware myself - and I was longing to
have an OS which would allow for high speed operation on very little
"horsepower".

It's meant to boot from a Live-cd (115MB) and run totally in RAM.
However it is very easy to install to usb and run it from an usb where
your TiddlyWikis are available for other OS'es as well...

Please checkout: http://tw-os.tiddlyspace.com
Cheers Måns Mårtensson

HansBKK

May 2, 2011, 9:36:48 PM5/2/11
to TiddlyWiki

I've been using Puppy USBs for a while, great tool for security at net
cafe's (still have to watch out for hardware keyloggers though).

Was any customization *necessary to get TW* to work on BrowserPuppy,
or did you just copy over some sample files and tweak preferences?

If yes, consider passing comments upstream, as I would think TW should
be mainstream enough that the platform should support it without
modification. . .

Måns

May 3, 2011, 2:38:50 AM5/3/11
to TiddlyWiki
Hi HansBKK

> Was any customization *necessary to get TW* to work on BrowserPuppy,
> or did you just copy over some sample files and tweak preferences?
>
> If yes, consider passing comments upstream, as I would think TW should
> be mainstream enough that the platform should support it without
> modification. . .

It was my intention to create a controlcenter for most of the
available TiddlyWiki documentation and use some of the graphics that
people have created for TW over time:
"TW-OS is a small OS, setup to use, demo and evaluate TiddlyWiki
ressources..."
I've changed BrowserLinux's behaviour in several ways to make that
happen:
1) When the livecd boots it will startup a TW "TiddlySnips", which is
a container for a "websnippets" collection. Because TW-OS is an
operating system, I've managed to install the TiddlySnip extention in
FireFox (4.0.1 - updated and upgradable...) and made it work from a
livecd - no customization needed..
2) I have revamped and extended the AppStarter application to provide
shortcuts to many of the present TiddlyWiki ressources and
documentation- Idea is that as a newcommer you will have everything
you need to get started at your fingertips.
It should also provide a complete experience suitable for presenting
TiddlyWiki for "outsiders"...
3) TW-OS is a remaster of PuppyMartins BrowserLinux, which means that
I have added or left out some things from the menus. I.e. I've hidden
the option to install Google Chrome, because TW needs tiddlysaver.jar
- and you would have to install java -
4) A puppy remaster like TW-OS might be compared to TiddlyWiki's
shadowtiddlers because when you do a "frugall install" to usb or save
a "savefile" with persistent changes of the system, - the original is
still there. You can have several "savefiles" (encrypted or
unencrypted) to choose from, when you startup - all using the same
"basesystem". You can always go back to the original - if something
breaks...
The basesystem *could* be PuppyMartin's BrowserLinux (or any other
Puppy Linux derivative), however I made this variant as a contribution
to the TiddlyWiki community..
5) TW-OS has 3. (4 with the empty.html) locally stored TiddlyWikis,
and you can use it without any internetconnection - however it is
*very* easy to connect to the net (wireless and lan) from *any*
computer you use - because TW-OS (and all other Puppy derivatives)
lets you save and run the system from an usb, - you'll just need "some
hardware" to run your own OS, anytime anywhere....
6) I use Puppy Linux every day (even at work, where I open my virtual
jobpc via VmWare ViewClient or at home where I use Cisco's AnyConnect
for vpn connection), because it gives me an extremely fast and
responsive system - on very lowtech hardware..
7) You can easily turn your own copy of TW-OS into a livecd showcase
of your own customized TiddlyWikis by running the remasterscript ->
star icon on the desktop -> TiddlyWiki Apps -> More Apps -> More Apps
(or simply /usr/share/applications/Remaster-Puppy-live-CD)
8) You can change appstarters directly from the dialogs - no
programmingskills required...
9) If you want to localize TW-OS it's a 2-minute job - You simply
choose keyboardlayout, localtime etc - and translate/change the .jwmrc
(hidden file) in the /root/ directory - again no programming skills
required...
10) Enjoy :-)

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Bauwe Bijl

May 3, 2011, 8:27:08 AM5/3/11
to TiddlyWiki
Nice action Måns!

I had a quick look on virtualbox...
I was somewhat confused about the name TW-OS....what to expect
here...?
...also because tw is an entity on it's own which can be used on any
os...

1st impression:
Puppy goes fast and ff launches smooth.
Not sure if this is a system to promote tw or to promote small-linux
to tw users?
...I guess both...
It makes sense to use a slimmed down os (browser only) and use tw as
replacer for applications like O-office etc.
(kick out the calculator please...make a tw with calculator, calendar,
etc.)
How would an autostarted prism work with a "tw-desktop" (imagine a tw
with paste ups...icons...like a desktop...browse local
files...launching other tw's etc.)?...running on local tw-web
instance...?

Good stuff:
When people use tw inhere the outcomes or issues will be predictable
and universal...
No surprises for users because firefox is available...(when people use
this os it's less likely they run into issues)
I think therefor that quickstart-html should be shipped....file
dropping etc...import/export html...(these works best for me here on
linux)

1st quick report:

On the starter:
TiddlySpace launcher goes to TiddlyWeb googlegroups...
The Dev launcher goes to tiddlywiki-dev....this must be TiddlyWikiDev
( http://groups.google.com/group/tiddlywikidev )

I think the project-home belongs also at a launcher:
http://tw-os.tiddlyspace.com/

Bauwe

Måns

May 3, 2011, 10:26:25 AM5/3/11
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Bauwe

> Not sure if this is a system to promote tw or to promote small-linux
> to tw users?
> ...I guess both...

Yep, that was my intention..

> How would an autostarted prism work with a "tw-desktop" (imagine a tw
> with paste ups...icons...like a desktop...browse local
> files...launching other tw's etc.)?...running on local tw-web
> instance...?

I did some of that when I was learning how to remaster a Puppy: prism,
showLocalDirectories, LaunchApplications etc..
I made a System.html with your beautifull MineralTheme (My favorite
theme btw!!) and used it in a Danish tw-os (last week actually)..
I will translate it and make it available at the projectpage if anyone
is interested...

> Good stuff:
> When people use tw inhere the outcomes or issues will be predictable
> and universal...
> No surprises for users because firefox is available...(when people use
> this os it's less likely they run into issues)

Exactly what I thought, when I started out with tw-os!!

> I think therefor that quickstart-html should be shipped....file
> dropping etc...import/export html...(these works best for me here on
> linux)

Yep - I believe you are right... You are very welcome to write those -
and I will implement them in a later release!
If you however want to remaster your own version - (it is very easy),
I can host your iso same place where I keep mine...

> 1st quick report:
>
> On the starter:
> TiddlySpace launcher goes to TiddlyWeb googlegroups...
> The Dev launcher goes to tiddlywiki-dev....this must be TiddlyWikiDev
> (http://groups.google.com/group/tiddlywikidev)
>
> I think the project-home belongs also at a launcher:http://tw-os.tiddlyspace.com/
1) fixed
2) fixed
3) I have set http://tw-os.tiddlyspace.com/ to open as "my homepage"
in FireFox (tw_os-3.iso)

http://xn--mns-ula.dk/tw-os/tw_os-2.iso More icons in menus etc - no
minimode or homepagesettings 99MB (md5sum
8e03550547c64a8dce2c5e5ba14af6c5)
http://xn--mns-ula.dk/tw-os/tw_os-3.iso Same as 2, added 3 firefox
extensions minimode, and two google docs addons - homepagesetting is
set to @tw-os - result= 103MB (md5sum
bf049b8fc832838d6b8f2b078d217d4d)

Thank you very much for your feedback!!

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Måns

May 3, 2011, 1:31:47 PM5/3/11
to TiddlyWiki
Sorry - I was too quick - do not download 2 and 3, i forgot to install
the tiddlysnip addon - and the backup locations werent correctly
set...
Now there is a new one (I hope all is well now ...):http://xn--mns-
ula.dk/tw-os/tw_os-4.iso
md5sum:c5f0e8272667bf37ed6ef51f45987b8e

Cheers Måns Mårtensson
> 3) I have sethttp://tw-os.tiddlyspace.com/to open as "my homepage"
> in FireFox (tw_os-3.iso)
>
> http://xn--mns-ula.dk/tw-os/tw_os-2.isoMore icons in menus etc - no
> minimode or homepagesettings 99MB (md5sum
> 8e03550547c64a8dce2c5e5ba14af6c5)http://xn--mns-ula.dk/tw-os/tw_os-3.isoSame as 2, added 3 firefox

Måns

May 3, 2011, 1:40:45 PM5/3/11
to TiddlyWiki
Hmm
Link:
http://xn--mns-ula.dk/tw-os/tw_os-4.iso
> > 3) I have sethttp://tw-os.tiddlyspace.com/toopen as "my homepage"
> > in FireFox (tw_os-3.iso)
>
> >http://xn--mns-ula.dk/tw-os/tw_os-2.isoMoreicons in menus etc - no
> > minimode or homepagesettings 99MB (md5sum
> > 8e03550547c64a8dce2c5e5ba14af6c5)http://xn--mns-ula.dk/tw-os/tw_os-3.isoSameas 2, added 3 firefox

Måns

May 3, 2011, 2:34:56 PM5/3/11
to TiddlyWiki
hmm - again
sorry for spamming my own thread...:
new md5sum: a1182aec86dce9223f9d1591b4e53bdf
(ready in 15 min..)
Cheers Måns Mårtensson
> > > 3) I have sethttp://tw-os.tiddlyspace.com/toopenas "my homepage"
> > > in FireFox (tw_os-3.iso)
>
> > >http://xn--mns-ula.dk/tw-os/tw_os-2.isoMoreiconsin menus etc - no
> > > minimode or homepagesettings 99MB (md5sum
> > > 8e03550547c64a8dce2c5e5ba14af6c5)http://xn--mns-ula.dk/tw-os/tw_os-3.isoSameas2, added 3 firefox

Måns

May 3, 2011, 4:01:30 PM5/3/11
to TiddlyWiki
Now everything seems to work allright.
I have tested it in VirtualBox, on three different laptops and started
a Faq on the projectpage:
http://tw-os.tiddlyspace.com/#Faq

Please report back if anything seems wrong..

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

axs

May 5, 2011, 11:15:31 PM5/5/11
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Mans, I like the TW logo :)

Bauwe Bijl

May 6, 2011, 7:52:28 AM5/6/11
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Måns

>I made a System.html with your beautifull MineralTheme (My favorite
>theme btw!!) and used it in a Danish tw-os (last week actually)..
>I will translate it and make it available at the projectpage if anyone
>is interested...

I spotted the System.html ...interesting yes! (and also to see what
you did with the ToolBox in the MineralTheme...great you like ,and
use, it)

I've spend a small article reference on my howtoos site:

http://howtoos.nl/#TiddlyWiki-OS

Bauwe

Måns

May 6, 2011, 10:09:18 AM5/6/11
to TiddlyWiki
Hi axs

> Mans, I like the TW logo :)

Thank, however I didn't make it.
I believe that it has been made by jlrfmartins http://www.flickr.com/people/jlrfmartins/
I found a reference to it in an old post - don't remember which one
actually ...
A friend of mine (Uffe, groupadministrator at http://linux-abc.dk) has
created a new background, which I will add in the next version of TW-
OS.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15835063/TW/tw-os/TWO.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15835063/TW/tw-os/THREE.jpg
If you have any suggestions - please comment..

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Måns

May 6, 2011, 10:12:14 AM5/6/11
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Bauwe

> I spotted the System.html ...interesting yes! (and also to see what
> you did with the ToolBox in the MineralTheme...great you like ,and
> use, it)

Great :-) Where did you find it? -On linux-abc.dk?

> I've spend a small article reference on my howtoos site:
>
> http://howtoos.nl/#TiddlyWiki-OS

That's nice. Thank you.

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Bauwe Bijl

May 13, 2011, 5:56:13 AM5/13/11
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Måns

> Great :-) Where did you find it? -On linux-abc.dk?
Yes (I can understand some Danish...somewhat similar to Dutch and more
the northern dialects here...words like "stamtafel" are very similar)

Question about the versions....
I was downloading the versions iso2, iso3, iso4 (while you where
uploading :)
Ended up with iso4...for now...
How can I monitor when a new version is out (with the new background
etc...)?
Are you going to post this here in the groups...or would you make a
LatestVersion tiddler with some info on the
http://tw-os.tiddlyspace.com space? ... I would like to follow the
development!

Bauwe

Måns

May 13, 2011, 2:12:34 PM5/13/11
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Bauwe

> Yes (I can understand some Danish...somewhat similar to Dutch and more
> the northern dialects here...words like "stamtafel" are very similar)

Great :-)

> Question about the versions....
> I was downloading the versions  iso2, iso3, iso4 (while you where
> uploading :)
> Ended up with iso4...for now...
> How can I monitor when a new version is out (with the new background
> etc...)?

At the moment we're at a version 6 in Danish, with a new
background :-)
You can find it here: http://tw-os-dk.tiddlyspace.com/#DOWNLOAD

> Are you going to post this here in the groups...or would you make a
> LatestVersion tiddler with some info on thehttp://tw-os.tiddlyspace.comspace? ... I would like to follow the
> development!

a LatestVersion tiddler - might be a good idea, - I haven't tried out
PMarios news space yet -
How would I use it to create automatic announcements, when editing the
LatestVersion tiddler?

I believe next tw-os in English will be a version 8 with
monkeyserver, php and admener (simple phpadmin) and a ready2run setup
of an upgraded BidixTiddlyHome package, for simple distribution/
administration of TiddlyWikis on a local network.... (I believe it
will add around 30MB to the system ) - Idea is that you boot a pc
with the livecd/usb save a savefile to hdd or usb which can copied or
resized ad lib - containing every change or new TiddlyWiki made by
users of TiddlyHome via network, or as local adminuser....

I have to do some testing with the serverparts of the distribution
before I can release it as a working tw-os_Server, because I'm a total
noob with this http-server-on local-network thing... It all works now
- from localhost and I know that I have to open up for some port in
the tw-os systems firewall to distribute http on a local network ...
however I've never tried anything like that - so untill I've found out
how to make it work, - I will keep a low profile ;-)

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Bauwe Bijl

May 13, 2011, 4:26:03 PM5/13/11
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Måns
Ok thanks

> a LatestVersion tiddler - might be a good idea, - I haven't tried out
> PMarios news space yet -

- se revisioner seems to work ...

> How would I use it to create automatic announcements, when editing the
> LatestVersion tiddler?

You could have the default homepage (which is the tw-os space in vers.
4) show the info:
(currently available: version 2.9 )

> I believe next  tw-os in English will be a version 8 with
:)

> I have to do some testing with the serverparts of the distribution
> before I can release it as a working tw-os_Server, because I'm a total
> noob with this http-server-on local-network thing... It all works now
> - from localhost and I know that I have to open up for some port in
> the tw-os systems firewall to distribute http on a local network ...
> however I've never tried anything like that - so untill I've found out
> how to make it work,  - I will keep a low profile ;-)

You might take a look at:
http://www.turnkeylinux.org/lampstack (iso 191mb) live distro (however
not a desktop...there is a gui over html with webmin for admin)...but
it is turnkey....boot and go!

Perhaps more interseting:
http://slampp.abangadek.com/info/

""
SLAMPP is a generic Linux distribution that can boot directly off a CD/
DVD-ROM drive, or optionally can be installed on a local hard disk. It
is designed to be used as an "instant home server". SLAMPP comes with
preconfigured tools and applications that allow a personal computer to
function as a server. Unlike other Linux Live CD/DVD distributions,
SLAMPP is targeting to two main user groups, namely: (1) average
users, new to Linux, by giving them the chance to experiment with a
non-Windows operating system, without the risk of changing or re-
configuring the user's existing system, and (2) experienced users, by
providing them server applications and utilities within reach. Can you
imagine how handy it is to have and carry a linux live CD/DVD that
provides all things you need to setup such kind of server? Moreover,
SLAMPP strives for a good balance and combination between desktop and
server applications.

""
SLAMP light would be something to check

However...about size:
Of course it's nice to fit all at a cd-rom...and run the os in ram.
However most pc's will have more ram available...

For me personaly....
I created a usb xubuntu live system (a persistent installation...which
saves to the usb drive itself!)...it is basically the install iso with
an extra feature.
Made it possible for me to install some extras on the installation
itself...
TiddlyWeb...!
Some nice extra's like inkscape, gftp, and VirtualBox.
....and in VirtualBox :) turnkey-lamp...

Thie persistent installation provided also the possibility to stretch
the casper rw loopfile to 4gb. [1]
I am using this on a 8gb usb drive (a very small one!...)
see image:
http://www.dove.co.nz/assets/images/product/4479-4516277.jpg

The rest of the 4 gb is storage...
Would be nice to mix with tw-os...either inside on the VirtualBox or
as dualboot.

...this usb stick runs fine on 1.5 gb ram

[1] http://howtoos.nl/#xubuntu-persistent-installation

Bauwe

PMario

May 13, 2011, 6:37:19 PM5/13/11
to TiddlyWiki
On May 13, 8:12 pm, Måns <humam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> a LatestVersion tiddler - might be a good idea, - I haven't tried out
> PMarios news space yet -
> How would I use it to create automatic announcements, when editing the
> LatestVersion tiddler?

Hi Måns,
It's quite easy.
To list/register your space in news space:
Just create a tiddler
- named: @news
- tagged: list

To create a news topic:
- Create a tiddler eg: "Latest Version TwOS" in your "listed" space
- tagg it @news

If you have a look at news space, your Tiddler will be listed. You can
list and post in any of your spaces. News space will sort them using
your name.
At the moment, it will be there for 28 days, which is quite long.
There is not much noise at the moment, so it will be seen :)

have fun!
mario

Måns

May 13, 2011, 6:59:08 PM5/13/11
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Bauwe

You are lightyears ahead of me :-)

> You might take a look at:http://www.turnkeylinux.org/lampstack(iso 191mb) live distro (however
> not a desktop...there is a gui over html with webmin for admin)...but
> it is turnkey....boot and go!
>
> Perhaps more interseting:http://slampp.abangadek.com/info/

> SLAMP light would be something to check
>
> However...about size:
> Of course it's nice to fit all at a cd-rom...and run the os in ram.
> However most pc's will have more ram available...

Puppy is made to run from ram, by design - my considerations about
size have to do with boot time (load into ram) and how fast it will
save a personal save-file to usb (2.0). Second consideration has to do
with hardware-recognition I like the idea of having a portable system
which will run on new hardware (recognize *almost* ALL wireless cards)
AND might revive an old pc, noone would expect to work just as fast as
a new pc again - ever...

> For me personaly....
> I created a usb xubuntu live system (a persistent installation...which
> saves to the usb drive itself!)...it is basically the install iso with
> an extra feature.
> Made it possible for me to install some extras on the installation
> itself...
> TiddlyWeb...!

Yes - Now we're talking :-) - I'd LOVE to have TiddlySpace running
from a small serverdistribution, and be able to modify/administer the
default templates layouts etc...

> Some nice extra's like inkscape, gftp, and VirtualBox.
> ....and in VirtualBox :) turnkey-lamp...

I run VirtualBox, LibreOffice, Abiword, XaraXtreme, Vlc and several
Windows programs as portable apps via wine in TW-OS.
I've used it as my default desktopenvironment for a fortnight now -
When I need access to my works server I login via Cisco's Anyconnect
and straight into a windows desktop via VmWare ViewClient (deb-
package +voip)

It's just FUN/amd a little unreal to use an old IBM Thinkpad T30 with
TW-OS running in 512MB ram (my laptop), log into my jobs network via
the internet https - vpn, open my virtual desktop (winXp) and be able
to work as if my laptop was a multicore several-GB machine, with
MsOffice, Acrobat etc etc...

> Thie persistent installation provided also the possibility to stretch
> the casper rw loopfile to 4gb. [1]
> I am using this on a 8gb usb drive (a very small one!...)
> see image:http://www.dove.co.nz/assets/images/product/4479-4516277.jpg

Oh yes THAT's small!!!

> The rest of the 4 gb is storage...
> Would be nice to mix with tw-os...either inside on the VirtualBox or
> as dualboot.

You can add TW-OS as four files (The systemfile lupo-510.sfs , a
personal storage file luposave-yourname.2fs, Vmlinuz and initrd.gz)
and update your grub (there's a grubinstaller/updater UI in TW-OS) to
either boot from your "installed" system or from the Puppy/TW-OS files
which might reside in a folder in or outside of your installed system.
No need for an extra partition.

> ...this usb stick runs fine on 1.5 gb ram

With TiddlyWeb running? :-) That's GREAT!!!
I'd love to try your TiddlyWeb usb-OS!! However I haven't got a
machine with 2 GB ram....

My smallest installation (TW-OS ver. 6 in Danish) is running from a
250MB usb 2.0 stick (a BIG one ;-P). I still have 130MB free space.
You can have a LOT of TiddlyWikis floating around with 130MB free
space ;-)

The monkeyserver, php and admener is less than 10MB xtra - TiddlyHome
needs some space to evolve, so you'll need a host pc's hdd or an
external disk, for outputting a "personal" savefile (ext2 or ext3).
It can also be saved back to the usb - if the usb is big enough..
If the system is booted from a Live-dvd, thesession can be saved back
to the Live-dvd (if it was burned as multisession in the first place)
The systemfile is working as one "big shadowsystem" - the savefile
holds all the changed/deleted/new files.

When you unplug the usb/livecd/dvd - all TiddlyHome instances can stay
on the host pc's disk in a savefile (the hostpc won't even know they
are there (if it's a Windows system it can't "see" ext2 or 3), in
the "personal" savefile on the usb-stick or in a "session-folder"
with a timestamp on the Live"persistent" "multisessionDvd"...

> [1]http://howtoos.nl/#xubuntu-persistent-installation

Thanks for the links - I will investigate..

Cheers Måns Mårtensson