How I installed Tiddlysnip on FF3.5

Shavinder

Oct 13, 2009, 11:16:26 PM10/13/09
to TiddlySnip
Tried on Puppy Linux 4.3, Firefox 3.5

When I try to install Tiddlysnip on FF 3.5, it announces its decision
that "Tiddlysnip will not be installed as it does not provide secure
updates".
I read here and elsewhere that by making the XPI file local this can
be circumvented. But this did not work for me. Same error, rather same
decision, was announced back to me by FF.
So with a little searching on mozillazine forums I found a way that
works.
It turns out that XPI files are just normal compressed zip files, and
simple fiddling with a zipped file named install.rdf was all that was
needed.
So I did this:
1. renamed the .xpi file to .zip file so that my puppy's XArchive
utility will recognize it.
2. unzip the xpi(now zip file) and inspect its various files inside
and identify its install.rdf
3. change the line
em:updateURL="http://tiddlysnip.com/update.rdf"
em:updateURL="https://tiddlysnip.com/update.rdf" (note I have added
an 's' to http to make it https
4. Zip back the all the files. Create a new archive file, and one by
one add the folders and files to it and create a new zipped file.
Simply selecting the unzipped folder which contained the new
install.rfd and zipping it did not work for me. I had to create a
fresh new archive and add the contents, including the new install.rdf
one by one and zip them all.
5. Rename the new zip from .zip to .xpi
6. Open the .xpi in FF, it should install itself.

If you have downloaded the original xpi file from tiddlysnip website
firefox prolly still be not happy, saying that this addon is not
*compatible* with the current version ie 3.5. To overcome this simply
do another change in the install.rdf in addition to what you did
above. Change this line:
<em:maxVersion>2.9</em:maxVersion>
<em:maxVersion>3.5.x</em:maxVersion>

Now FF should have no reason to complain.

Hope this helps somebody.

-shavinder