In purchasing mode

Jerome Daoust

Aug 1, 2010, 7:02:22 PM8/1/10
to TidalForce Forum
I sold my 2 year old pair of eZee Quando's about a month ago. Wasn't
using them much, bored of them being so slow and with limited range.

Girlfriend says she misses our rides, so I'm in purchasing mode, but
looking for good value and accepting to forego suspension, but get at
least 25+ mph and good range. I may get a pair of Pedego's (with dual
48V batteries on each):
http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/electric-bikes-online-store/?a=store&sview=view_product&id=72

In other news...
I thought I would have crashed my motorcycle by now, but that will
happen later. Instead I had a great ride yesterday:
http://ocmoto.com/index.php?topic=31274.msg4372720#msg4372720
But the day before (Friday), I did take a spill on an electric trike
and now bearing a nice road rash:
http://ocmoto.com/index.php?topic=31347

My question to you guys...
In the last 6 months, did any new ebike hit the market that offers
great value, speed and range?
I've been checking back here once in a while and nothing stood out.

Back to eBiking soon. Sorry for those who were glad I was gone,
Jerome

Bike_on

Aug 2, 2010, 6:32:42 AM8/2/10
to TidalForce Forum
Jerome is back! He must have had too many Blue Moons ; beverage or
astrological, you pick. :) JUst kidding Jerome.

What is your price range? The Bionx 500H can do 25mph and can be put
on multiple platforms, lighter, around $2k, typical range.

A DIY, or HPC can get you a 51V lithium and 600-100W geared hub.

Doug C can set you up too.

Other than that, an E+ is the only tried and true 25mph+ (Get the aux
lithium for the range). Besides the Opti which is too $$ you implied.

The Best. Let us know.

Hey, after the quandos, it should be a thrill.

Dan

On Aug 1, 7:02 pm, Jerome Daoust <eyestothe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I sold my 2 year old pair of eZee Quando's about a month ago. Wasn't
> using them much, bored of them being so slow and with limited range.
>
> Girlfriend says she misses our rides, so I'm in purchasing mode, but
> looking for good value and accepting to forego suspension, but get at
> least 25+ mph and good range. I may get a pair of Pedego's (with dual
> 48V batteries on each):http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/electric-bikes-online-store/?a=sto...

bMF

Aug 2, 2010, 1:33:38 AM8/2/10
to TidalForce Forum

http://www.pg-bikes.com/epages/PGBikes.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=45258

and this for the bottle holder (after the ride only pls).
http://www.gizmag.com/brewdogs-55-abv-beer-the-strongest-and-most-expensive-beer-in-history/15798/

_ ,
_\=\_
(o)+(o)

On Aug 1, 4:02 pm, Jerome Daoust <eyestothe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I sold my 2 year old pair of eZee Quando's about a month ago. Wasn't
> using them much, bored of them being so slow and with limited range.
>
> Girlfriend says she misses our rides, so I'm in purchasing mode, but
> looking for good value and accepting to forego suspension, but get at
> least 25+ mph and good range. I may get a pair of Pedego's (with dual
> 48V batteries on each):http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/electric-bikes-online-store/?a=sto...

Jerome Daoust

Aug 2, 2010, 2:29:25 PM8/2/10
to TidalForce Forum
Hi Dan,

BionX has nice kits like the 500H or the 250W geared hub (waiting on
the 350W) but the only way to double the range is to buy another
battery with integrated controller, which is expensive.

I want something that is not DIY because fiddling with it is not my
hobby. Just want to ride it and low maintenance.

With a little luck I will get to try a Pedego Interceptor today. Here
is an April press-release:
http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/interceptor/145
In off-road version they do 25 mph. The cruiser style would make it a
stealthy setup and comfy at the same time. With double 48 V 10 Ah
piggybacked on a strong/welded rear rack, I should get good range (30+
miles). Plus they are local for me (nice if service ever needed) and I
may get a deal for getting a pair.
At 25 mpph it will not the fastest ebike (like E+ or Optibike) but it
would be faster than most ebikers and casual cyclists. It would be fun
to go past a roadie on a cruiser. If I need more of a speed fix on 2
wheels, I just need to put a leg over my 186 mph motorcycle. 25 mph
should be a good speed for rides with the giirlfriend, which is the
main goal.

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the input guys,
Jerome

L-A-commuter

Aug 2, 2010, 3:37:08 PM8/2/10
to TidalForce Forum
Call Doug @ EV-Tech. "Going Electric" has a decent lineup of E-
Bikes... (and he MAY have two or three 1000 watt Tidalforce motor kits
to sell off the website). The batteries on the kits may be past their
prime but I've been using 36v 12ah SLA batteries for over 2 years with
my Tidalforce and am happy with them.

www.goingelectric.com
(972) 851-9990

Best

DAVE

p.s. It's great to see you Jerome. Those were great rides you
coordinated last year.

Jerome Daoust

Aug 2, 2010, 5:39:15 PM8/2/10
to TidalForce Forum
Good suggestion Dave, and maybe we will get to ride together again
soon.

Me and the girlfriend test rode earlier this afternoon the 48V Pedego
Interceptor, and I purchased a pair (dual battery on each for a total
of 960 Wh).

It is quiet (gearless motor), has moderate acceleration but thanks to
unregulated speed, easily registered 30 mph on GPS. I only expected
25, so that was a plus.

If I'm lucky I will get my bikes on Friday/Saturday, otherwise next
week.

Jerome

Bike_on

Aug 2, 2010, 9:44:44 PM8/2/10
to TidalForce Forum
Congrats there Jerome. Any insight on price?

Good riding ahead.

Dan

deerfencer1

Aug 3, 2010, 10:39:25 AM8/3/10
to TidalForce Forum
Congrats on the purchase, J, and good luck with them!

Nice to finally see another high-powered turnkey e-bike option--as far
as I know there are only three on the US market, E+, Opti, and now
Pedago (discounting e-motos).

How does Pedago handle the legality issue? Do you have to sign any
sort of liability waiver? Did they ask for your police badge? ;-)

Looking forward to some detailed ride (and bike) reports. Especially
interested in the power and battery specs. What kind of warranty on
the packs?

Happy riding,

LH

deerfencer1

Aug 3, 2010, 10:59:10 AM8/3/10
to TidalForce Forum
Addendum: I guess "high-powered" is the wrong term given the motor is
just rated 500W and Jerome reports that it takes a while for the bikes
to get up to speed; should have written "high-speed."

Still curious about the legal issues given the Pedagos are obviously
not off-road bikes in any way, shape, or form. What are the legal
limits in CA for e-bikes on public roads?

@ Dan: It looks like the model Jerome bought lists for around $2300.
Curious as to how much the aux packs cost and how aggressive the
dealer was with discounting.

Finally, I'm curious to hear from J re the Pedago's climbing/long-
distance touring abilities. The bikes are obviously targeted to the
pleasure-riding beach cruiser crowd, and I wonder if you could do more
serious touring with them given the fat tires and limited gearing (6
speeds).

LH

Jerome Daoust

Aug 3, 2010, 1:12:16 PM8/3/10
to TidalForce Forum
Hi Larry,

Yes, more like high-speed than high-powered, although with 48 V the
500 W motor is no slouch. That's OK in the sense that it has more hill-
climbing ability than my previous ride which made it up all the hills
I needed. But it's probably not the ideal motor for dedicated off-
roading, nor is the frame for that matter. But it fits my goal of
riding on bike paths with the girlfriend who enjoys downhill speeds.

For speeds over 20 mph, I may have to sign something when I take
ownership. Or it may be left regulated, and the de-regulation is
apparently simple to do.

Warranty is 1 year on everything, including batteries. They just don't
cover flat tires. Having said that, the tires apparently have a Kevlar
liner and some anti-flat slime will also be added. The balloon tires
can be at a low pressure (20 psi) for a soft ride or up to 60 psi for
rolling efficiency.

Jerome

Bike_on

Aug 5, 2010, 5:47:05 PM8/5/10
to TidalForce Forum
Jerome,

Just be aware that this is a gearless motor, while the Ezee motors are
geared and can provide th etorque needed on the hills. At 48V, you
will certainly have more current available for the hills, but your
motor may overheat. It will run hotter than the Quando.

500W ave at 48V means the average current is 10.4A. It should handle
small hills and short current surges. Be careful running it too hard
for too long.

Dan

Jerome Daoust

Aug 6, 2010, 6:51:31 PM8/6/10
to TidalForce Forum
Thanks for the warning Dan.
But I will use them to the max and rely on the 1-year warranty if
needed.
If there are no problems I will be glad, and if one bursts into flames
I will have one more story to tell.

Girlfriend has started bugging me with "When will we have them?". :-)
Got word that my bikes have just arrived (some assembly required) this
afternoon and will be ready for me Monday afternoon.

Jerome Daoust

Aug 10, 2010, 1:49:29 AM8/10/10
to TidalForce Forum