Good Camping/Fishing Spot in Shenandoah?

sstu...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2013, 10:48:27 PM9/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Can anyone suggest a good campsite near or on a trout stream in the Shanendoah, 2-3 hours from DC?  I know of a few campsites that are about 30-45 minutes drive from good streams, but am wondering if there are any campsites within walking distance of a stream/river?

Matt Geiman

Sep 24, 2013, 8:11:50 AM9/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
There are some sites at the lower end of Big Run. Be advised it's a pretty long hike in and is all uphill back to skyline.

Dalton Terrell

Sep 24, 2013, 9:11:34 AM9/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
There are four campgrounds in the park and backcountry camping is allowed in most of Shenandoah, check out their website here. I would add that the streams that fish well for me are high gradient and have very few camping options, but your experience may differ.

Dalton

Danny Barrett

Sep 24, 2013, 10:29:16 AM9/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Rapidan. Bring a tiny rod I fish a 6 foot 1 weight. And only 3 patterns. Zebra midge size 22, greenie weenie size 14, psyco prince nymph since 16. And you should have a good time on the water.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

TurbineBlade

Sep 24, 2013, 10:51:23 AM9/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Funny Danny -- I went there once back in February with an 8-weight and a spool of 4 pound mono and a tin full of #14 PT nymphs and brassies, split shot, and a few foam beetles tied on a #10 hook and caught plenty of fish.  They seem to eat fairly large flies everywhere I've caught them in VA given their size.....  It is almost counterintuitive though -- it's almost like bluegill where you might downsize your tackle due to fish size, but in reality they eat some larger fly sizes which sometimes are better on medium tackle (4-6 weight).

Not that using an 8-weight was ideal in the least -- actually, it was downright stupid to tell you the truth, but I'm comfortable with that.  I knew I'd likely be nymphing to "cold" fish and just happened to grab it.  It worked.

Just a funny contrast to using a 1-weight and griffith's gnats that *almost require magnification to tie on ;).  With a 1-weight I'd probably aim for #14--#22 patterns as well.

Gene

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:29:16 AM UTC-4, Danny Barrett wrote:

Rapidan. Bring a tiny rod I fish a 6 foot 1 weight. And only 3 patterns. Zebra midge size 22, greenie weenie size 14, psyco prince nymph since 16. And you should have a good time on the water.

On Sep 23, 2013 10:49 PM, <sstu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can anyone suggest a good campsite near or on a trout stream in the Shanendoah, 2-3 hours from DC?  I know of a few campsites that are about 30-45 minutes drive from good streams, but am wondering if there are any campsites within walking distance of a stream/river?

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Danny Barrett

Sep 24, 2013, 12:01:15 PM9/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Brookies eat about anything, as long as you dont spook them first.  Those are just easy patterns for me to tie up dozens of.  I only fish smaller flies because ill fish them in a dropper pattern to give them a little selection of food.

Dan Barrett

TurbineBlade

grover

Sep 27, 2013, 11:34:25 AM9/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Backcountry -   There are a couple of good sites at the bottom of Jeremy's Run.  Two good ones on the Rose River Loop trail where it connects to the Dark Hallow Falls trail.  Big Run is one of my favorite places to back country camp and fish but like Matt said it is a haul to get down there and the last 2 miles on the hike out cover about 1400 ft. of vertical.  Big Run also will dry up quickly if it hasn't rained and this time of year there will be a ton of bears down there( just a heads up they won't bother you).

Rapidan- If you have a truck you can take the dirt road that runs beside the Rapidan and camp right beside the stream at designated sites in the Wildlife Management area.

The 4 campgrounds in the park are all close to some great fishing.

All that being said it's getting close to spawning time for the Brookies and some people like to give them a break when they start.  The guys at Mossy usually mention it on their fishing report when it starts.