{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Carp Fishing

Stephen Sparks

May 6, 2010, 10:23:59 AM5/6/10
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm hoping to do some carp fishing this weekend and any advice on where I might have the best luck sight fishing for these brutes would be most helpful.  I do realize I may be catching them in the spawn and, if so, could easily come up empty handed.  If you think you have a good insight on what flys to use that would be helpful as well.  (I typically have an assortment of buggy stuff for the Colorado "bones", typically attempting to imitate crayfish and/or sculpins, but also some hairy nymph-like beadheads that I can crawl the bottom with.)

Thanks in advance.

sparkr

Frank Polito

May 6, 2010, 12:16:08 PM5/6/10
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey Steve,

I've seen a bunch of big carp in the canal up by chain bridge. I've
been practicing casting to them and have tried a bunch of different
flys but no luck so far. Let me know how you do.

Stephen Sparks

May 6, 2010, 12:24:02 PM5/6/10
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Frank,

Thanks will do.

What type(s) of flys have you been using?

Steve
--
Steve

Frank Polito

May 6, 2010, 3:48:33 PM5/6/10
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

i threw everything I could at it. Mariboo streamers, clouser minnows,
some sort of shrimp imatation.... I havent had any nymphs though. I
hear thats what they go for.

-Frank

Stephen Sparks

May 6, 2010, 4:04:30 PM5/6/10
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Frank,

Merci...  I"ve heard everyone say prince nymphs, but I admit I've used them without success. (and it certainly can't be how I fish for them right?)

I did find some interesting buggy looking crayfish pattern at the Tyson Orvis this afternoon and am going to try these.  I couldn't find any mulberry like patterns although I've been told a Patuxent Special without a tail or hackles in purple does the trick... I guess you could cut the tail off a purple woolly bugger and get close to the same thing...

sparkr
--
Steve

Frank Polito

May 8, 2010, 11:12:19 AM5/8/10
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Steve,

I went out with Javier yesterday and he caught one. He told me the
trick is to use at least 4x and the leader has to be at least 12
feet. Use tiny nymphs and look for feeding fish. A lot of times you
can see the bubbles from the fish on feeding on the bottem. Cast over
the bubbles and slowly strip into them. Let me know if this works

Steve Sparks

May 8, 2010, 11:19:39 AM5/8/10
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Frank, thanks. Javier is pretty good at this!

Where did you guys fish?

Steve
Delivered from My iPad

Steve Sparks

May 8, 2010, 11:24:45 AM5/8/10
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Actually I have used that technique and have foul hooked one 3 different times. They are really a pain to bring in when they've only got a hook in the back or side. But I don't know a better way, especially when you're not sight fishing to them in clearer water which means it's easy to spook them!

Steve
Delivered from My iPad

Steve Sparks

May 8, 2010, 11:26:02 AM5/8/10
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Actually I thought about hitting lock 7 or 8 later today.

Steve
Delivered from My iPad

Trent Jones

May 8, 2010, 11:34:31 AM5/8/10
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Steve,

I was at Chain bridge last night, I think that is lock 6? The water in
the Canal looked to be a lot lower than usual. Not sure if that is
good or bad for carp fishing as I have never been before...maybe it is
better for spotting fish?

-T

On May 9, 4:26 am, Steve Sparks <stephenrspa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually I thought about hitting lock 7 or 8 later today.
>
> Steve
> Delivered from My iPad
>
> On May 8, 2010, at 11:12 AM, Frank Polito <thefrank.pol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Steve,
>
> > I went out with Javier yesterday and he caught one.  He told me the
> > trick is to use at least 4x and the leader has to be at least 12
> > feet.  Use tiny nymphs and look for feeding fish.  A lot of times you
> > can see the bubbles from the fish on feeding on the bottem.  Cast over
> > the bubbles and slowly strip into them.  Let me know if this works

Steve Sparks

May 8, 2010, 12:06:38 PM5/8/10
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Trent. I'll file a report later on what it's like today.

Steve
Delivered from My iPad

Cave

May 14, 2010, 7:24:37 AM5/14/10
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Gents, from my experience catching carp in the canal, nyphs are best,
and normally its not which one but where you put it. I have had the
most luck if its placed with in 12-24 inches in front of their nose.
They will normally dive for it, then its a timing game. I hope this
helps!

Happy hunting!

On May 8, 12:06 pm, Steve Sparks <stephenrspa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Trent. I'll file a report later on what it's like today.
>
> Steve
> Delivered from My iPad

Stephen Sparks

May 14, 2010, 12:35:40 PM5/14/10
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Cave,

Can you let me know about which lock area you find the best for carp?  I was out last weekend around Lock 7 and I meandered around the canal and didn't see anything, although I certainly thought I would have.  I assume you are sight-fishing to them and you can see they are feeding versus cruising.

sparkr
--

Steve

Cave

May 15, 2010, 1:03:19 PM5/15/10
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Steve, I wish I could help you out. The spot I used to go to was dryed
out over the winter, nothing survived. Who knows how the canal will
fish this year. Mostly sight casting.

Best places will be above anglers in.

Let me know if you ever see any around lock 7 this year, ill show you
how I have had luck.

Cave
> > tidal-potomac-fly-...@googlegroups.com<tidal-potomac-fly-rodders%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > groups.google.com/group/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders?hl=en.

> > groups.google.com/group/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders?hl=en.

> > groups.google.com/group/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders?hl=en.
>
> > > --
> > groups.google.com/group/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders?hl=en.
>
> > --
> > .

Stephen Sparks

May 15, 2010, 2:13:45 PM5/15/10
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Cave,

Thanks, I'll let you know.  Just got the fly that has one the Carp Slam here in Denver the last two years, a "belly crawler".  I'll post a photo next chance I have.

sparkr

McFly

Sep 24, 2013, 8:05:07 PM9/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to get into Carp fly fishing but I'm 0-13 this summer with Carp not one Carp in 13 trips to the water. I'm wondering if there is a member that can give me and a few others an hour long pointers class on casting, flies and picking spots.

On Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:23:59 AM UTC-4, Sparkr wrote:
I'm hoping to do some carp fishing this weekend and any advice on where I might have the best luck sight fishing for these brutes would be most helpful.  I do realize I may be catching them in the spawn and, if so, could easily come up empty handed.  If you think you have a good insight on what flys to use that would be helpful as well.  (I typically have an assortment of buggy stuff for the Colorado "bones", typically attempting to imitate crayfish and/or sculpins, but also some hairy nymph-like beadheads that I can crawl the bottom with.)

Thanks in advance.

sparkr

Bob Sivinski

Sep 25, 2013, 1:00:39 PM9/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I saw a bunch of them between Lock 7 and Lock 8 last weekend.  They were feeding in a group on the far side of the canal.  I only managed to get one strike on an unweighted little olive crayfish, but I got some follows with a green bead head black wooly bugger.  My tippet broke before I could have any fun.  The water was very muddy.