Your doubts for Olive Oil ~ Cooking & Frying

sh...@tibbenabwi.com

Jan 3, 2011, 2:38:58 AM1/3/11
Some of our friends have heard from the doctors that olive oil should be eaten as RAW & it is not good for cooking OR frying.
We always cook the curries in olive oil, & we have no doubts for that, as the olive oil takes its accreditation from Quran & Hadith. In Quran, Allah Exemplified His Noor with the olive tree, furthermore, the following 2 Hadith do not mention "Olive Oil", rather they quote the single word "OIL produced by a blessed tree" which means that the only oil recommended by our beloved Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam is OLIVE OIL, either for massaging or eating, and it can be eaten as raw or used for cooking & frying.
Second Hadith mentions the word ائْتَدِمُوا which interprets that Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam also advised to use olive oil in curries, curry is called إدام Idaam in Arabic & ائْتَدِمُوا means to use in curries. So we hope that your doubts should be clear now.

قال تعالى‏:‏ ‏{‏يُوقَدُ مِن شَجَرَةٍ مُّبَارَكَةٍ زَيْتُونَةٍ لا شَرْقِيَّةٍ وَلاَ غَرْبِيَّةٍ يَكَادُ زَيْتُهَا يُضِىءُ وَلَوْ لَمْ تَمْسَسْهُ نَارٌ‏}‏ ‏[‏النور ‏:‏ 35‏]‏

"Lit from a blessed tree, on olive, neither of the east (i.e. neither it gets sun rays only in the morning) nor of the west (i.e. nor it gets sun rays only In the afternoon. but it is exposed to the sun all day long), whose oil would almost glow forth (of itself), though no fire touched it". (24:35)

وفى الترمذىِّ وابن ماجه من حديث أبى هريرة رضى الله عنه، عن النبىِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم أنه قال‏:‏ ‏(‏كُلُوا الزَّيتَ وادَّهِنُوا به، فإنَّه من شَجَرَةٍ مُبَارَكةٍ‏)‏‏.‏

Tirmizi and Ibn Majah narrated that Abu Hurairah Radi Allaho Anh related from Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam that he said: "Eat the oil, and use it as an ointment, because it is produced by a blessed tree".

وللبَيْهَقِى وابن ماجه أيضاً‏:‏ عن ابن عمر رضى الله عنه، قال‏:‏ قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم‏:‏ ‏(‏ائْتَدِمُوا بالزَّيتِ، وادَّهِنُوا به، فإنه من شَجَرَةٍ مُبَارَكةٍ‏)‏‏.‏

Al-Bayhaqi and Ibn Majah also narrated that Abdullah bin Umar Radi Allaho Anh reported that Messenger of Allah Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam said: "Use the oil in your curries and apply it as on ointment (for massaging) because it is from a blessed tree (olive tree)".