Slaked Lime

Abdul Rahmaan Bin Abu Layla

May 24, 2011, 4:48:06 AM5/24/11

Fatwa #  3111  from United Kingdom   Date: Sunday, June 3rd 2001
Title : Are women allowed to use a Razor?
Question

I have heard several times that it is not allowed in Islam for a woman to use metal on her body, i.e. razor as it is not acceptable and that it either says in The Quran Sharif or in a Holy Hadith that women are not allowed to use a razor or metal on their body. Please let me know if women can or cannot and the reasons. Thank you very much. Jazakallah Khair

Answer
It is permissible for a female to remove the unwanted hair by shaving with a razor blade. And Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
FATWA DEPT.

Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam used to remove the unwanted hairs by using Slaked Lime, but the process is not easy for you to manage. If you will not be able to dilute the lime properly, you may burn the skin.

Narrated by Ibn-e-Majah, Umm-e-Salamah Radi Allaho Anha reported that when Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam intended to remove his hairs, he would begin anointing himself from the private parts {and he used Nuwarah (slaked lime) for hair removal}, after which his wife would apply the Nuwarah to remove hairs from other parts of his body (under the arms).

Regarding Nuwarah, this Hadith is the most authentic among all others.

It is well known that Prophet Suleiman Alaih As Salaam was the first one for whom Nuwarah was prepared as the hair removing agent, the procedure is "Two parts of slaked lime & one part of Arsenic are mixed with water & left to dry in the sun until it turns blue, then a person uses it as a Tila (ointment) and waits for an hour, during which the anointed areas should not be touched with water. Then one takes a bath to remove the lime and anoints the area with Henna to remove lime's hotness".