Home-made vinegars

Hasan Bin Abul Mubashir

Sep 19, 2010, 2:38:15 AM9/19/10
to umm hamzah
Assalam O Alaikum,

I always insist for pure home-made vinegars because you have to brew them Halal as per Islamic laws & without following the techniques of wine-making.

I tried hard for 2 years, & my aim was to skip Brewer's yeast & the primary ~ anaerobic fermentation of sugar, these two factors are essential in wine making, I had many mistakes & my brews spoiled with some having eels & worms, but finally I became an expert for Halal vinegar technology.

I never add any external yeasts, & the wild yeasts in air break down the sugar of my fruit juice, & then I ferment aerobically from the first day.
I shall be available for any help when you start your own vinegar, if dates are available, their vinegar is the best choice for beginners, as the dates are rough & tough during fermentation & the brew rarely spoils, furthermore, you will be free from the tiresome effort of juicing. But you can also try juicing either the grapes or apples for their vinegars.

All you have to do is to bring 2 jars of 4 liters capacity, the design should be selected as shown in the attached picture, mouth of the jar should be half the diameter of base.

I always brew pomegranate vinegar in September, on Friday, I brought 100 kg of poms & 45 liters of juice was obtained, pomegranate vinegar is the most sensitive, you have to remove the white pulp (crushed seeds) from juice, for which I keep the jars refrigerated for 2 days, the seeds settle at the bottom & clean juice can be easily separated, white pulp interferes with fermentation & has spoiled my effort many times during my trials.

Look at the beautiful color, the ruby red vinegar is the best in this world.
Figs vinegar is another beauty, I make it with dried figs.
DSC06221.JPG

Hasan Bin Abul Mubashir

Sep 22, 2010, 3:58:57 AM9/22/10
to asdf asdf
Take out the juice of apples, add to a standard V.V. (vinegar vessel) & you know the design, mouth should be smaller than the base with a ratio of 1 : 2.
Because apples are low in sugar (mostly 10 ~ 12%) & you need at least 15 % sugar for a strong vinegar, add 200 grams of white sugar to a 4 liter jar. Sugar should be added immediately before the primary fermentation starts.

Cover the jar with a cloth so that light can't enter inside, & cover the mouth of the jar with a cotton cloth using a rubber band. (as shown in the pic). Covering the jar with a cloth is your Halal vinegar technology, because you are exposing the brew to breathe in the air from the first day.
Jar should be filled till the top mark, it is because you are fermenting aerobically, I have seen that if the jar is not totally filled, your brew may get spoiled, first 30 days are delicate, after which you will filtrate & the liquid level will reduce, but then it will not be a problem Insha'Allah.
Don't put the jar under sunlight, or under a fan, I usually put them at the corner of my kitchen, far away from the stove.
A good temperature for fermentation is 28-32 Celsius.

Wild yeast from the air will break down the sugar & primary fermentation will start after 3-5 days when you will see CO2 bubbles rising up in the jar, bubbles will ooze  for the following 10-15 days. You have to wait for 30 days from the date of starting the brew, & then you have to filter the fermented juice to take out dead yeasts & pulp. Wash the empty jar with ordinary water & pour filtered juice again, cover the jar & its mouth with a cloth, depending upon your temperature & sugar percentage, you will need at least 60 days more for a complete double biological fermentation.

Total time is 90 days from the first day. Now you will be bale to smell the typical smell of vinegar. Filter finally before bottling & keep refrigerated. Un-pasteurized vinegar stays crispier inside the refrigerator, if kept outside, it develops the mushroom type jelly which of cellulose made by bacteria which is called "mother of vinegar".

Both wine & vinegar are the brothers from the same mother, which is sugar, wine hates to breathe & loves anaerobic environment, while vinegar can't exist without breathing, it needs oxidation. Biological vinegar industry makes fruit wine primarily & then oxidize it by passing air bubbles for obtaining vinegar.

When you will see CO2 bubbles during primary fermentation, ethyl alcohol is produced immediately, but to mature it anaerobically is the fundamental of wine-making, we differ in our brewing technology at this stage, that we keep the alcohol being oxidized from the first day, in this manner, pre-oxidized alcohol changes immediately to another compound, which is Ethyl Acetate that further oxidizes to Acetic Acid.

Pre-oxidized Ethyl Alcohol is dangerous & harmful for drinking, so we have differentiated Halal Vinegar Technology with the traditional vinegar-making.
Other issue for Halal vinegar is to avoid BREWER'S YEAST, because it is obtained while making wine, many Ulama'a have given Fatwa that it is Haram, so to use wild yeasts is the only option for you, some people may use baker's yeast, but I have seen that it imparts a bad taste to vinegar.

During the entire process, all of your tools & brew should remain neat & clean, otherwise you may develop eels & white worms inside the jar, keep checking after every 10-15 days, if you find some, don't worry, just filter the brew to remove the worms, they are not harmful.