Nabeez / Vinegar ~ Clarifications

Abu Taybah

Apr 12, 2011, 8:31:48 AM4/12/11
to Asan Deen
Some Arabs are unaware of the ACTUAL NABEEZ that was a favorite drink of Prophet Muhammad Sallallaho Alaihe Wasallam, unfortunately, they call Nabeez to any beverage that has developed some alcohol.

It is necessary to consume your Nabeez within 12 hours of soaking (if kept at room temperature). And if you refrigerate it immediately after blending, it will be OK for 3 days, I have tried it so many times & you should take my guarantee.

For vinegar, I have provided you the Halal Technology, it is my effort of many years during which I made mistakes but finally, I got the best brewing procedure, there are other ways adopted which are popular in Pakistan / India, when the fruit juice is kept in an air-tight earthen pot & then it is either buried in the ground OR kept under the SUN for 15 - 20 days, this kind of vinegar will surely have alcohol.

Some of my friends from Hyderabad Deccan told that during old times, vinegar was produced from the bush of Chickpeas, a thin cloth like DOPATTA was thrown over the bush (in the night) and the next day, that cloth was twisted to squeeze out the dew drops that fell on the leaves, it was a vinegar of over-night effort, but it is absolutely wrong to call it vinegar, probably the leaves of chickpea bush have some Citric Acid that was absorbed by the cloth with dew drops, vinegar is purely an Acetic Acid solution, & CH3COOH needs a double biological fermentation, primarily the sugar ferments to alcohol & then it is oxidized further to obtain Acetic Acid. Brewing Halal Vinegar at your house needs 90 days at the least, there is no other option.

Don't worry about the smell, you will filter the dead pulp after 30 days, & during the secondary fermentation (Oxidation), your vinegar brew will give a smell of spirit (second month) & during the 3rd month, your kitchen will be filled with a typical vinegar's fragrance, I love it, sometimes when I have a headache, I inhale vinegar vapors deeply & I feel relaxed.

Best temperature for fermentation is 28 ~ 30 Celsius, but dates vinegar is rough & tough, it can tolerate a higher temperature.

I am sure that your first experience of making vinegar will have some mistakes, but you will learn a lot, brewing vinegar is so interesting, you will be surprised how SWEET changes to SOUR.

Main mistake would be what I wrote to you earlier "Fill it again in 2 jars of 4 liters each, till you reach the top mark, if jar will be kept empty even by few inches, you can have some complications at this stage, resulting in vinegar's spoilage".