msp430-gdb could not connect to remote target

Prashant B

Dec 18, 2010, 10:25:41 PM12/18/10
to TI Launchpad
Hi,
I have setup msp430 toolchain on my Ubuntu 10.4 laptop by reading some
blogs.
I can download the program to uC using mspdebug, but when I try to
connect using
msp430-gdb, it can not connect to remote target.

Log is as follows:

$ mspdebug rf2500
MSPDebug version 0.13 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright (C) 2009, 2010 Daniel Beer <dan...@tortek.co.nz>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There
is NO
PURPOSE.

Trying to open interface 1 on 007
rf2500: warning: can't detach kernel driver: No data available
Initializing FET...
FET protocol version is 30001000
Configured for Spy-Bi-Wire
Set Vcc: 3000 mV
fet: FET returned error code 4 (Could not find device (or device not
supported))
fet: command C_IDENT1 failed
fet: identify failed
Trying again...
Initializing FET...
FET protocol version is 30001000
Configured for Spy-Bi-Wire
Sending reset...
Set Vcc: 3000 mV
Device ID: 0xf201
Device: MSP430G2231
Code memory starts at 0xf800
Number of breakpoints: 1

Available commands:
= dis help locka prog run
sym
break erase hexout md read set
cgraph exit isearch mw regs setbreak
delbreak gdb load opt reset step

Available options:
color gdb_loop iradix quiet

Type "help <topic>" for more information.
Press Ctrl+D to quit.

(mspdebug)

Now trying to run msp430-gdb

$ msp430-gdb
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.0.1
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/
gpl.html>
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show
copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=msp430".
(gdb) Quit
(gdb) target remote localhost:2000
localhost:2000: Connection timed out.
(gdb)

Has anyone faced the similar problem?

-Prashant

Paolo Di Prodi

Dec 19, 2010, 6:36:36 AM12/19/10
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
can you do a netstat so we can see the local ports opened?
It could be that the mspdebug is listening to a different port.
netstat -an |find /i "listening" > c:'openports.txt
Cheers.
--
Paolo Di Prodi
Super Sayan

Prashant

Dec 19, 2010, 10:57:18 AM12/19/10
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Paolo Di Prodi <robo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> can you do a netstat so we can see the local ports opened?
> It could be that the mspdebug is listening to a different port.
>>
>> netstat -an |find /i "listening" > c:'openports.txt

After running netstat I found that mspdebug was not listening to any port.
Adding "gdb" command to mspdebug worked. ( $mspdebug rf2500 gdb )
Thanks :)

Paolo Di Prodi

Dec 19, 2010, 5:56:52 PM12/19/10
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com
Well indeed I didn't notice the command line.
:-p