Problem programming MSP430G2452 with Launchpad

Markus

Feb 16, 2011, 2:06:50 AM2/16/11
to TI Launchpad
Hello there!

I'm having some difficulties programming and debugging the MSP430G2452
samples I got today. I'm using Code Composer Studio Core Edition
Version: 4.2.1.00004 and Launchpad MSP-EXP430G2 Rev 1.4 trying to do
so. Building works fine, but when i click on "Debug Launch" 4 out of 5
times I get the following error message:
>>>MSP430: Trouble Writing Memory Block at 0xfffe on Page 0 of Length 0x2: Could not write device memory
>>>Cannot write to target

When it works the chip get's programmed correctly, but running or
stepping during a Debug session never works, I always get the error
message:
>>>MSP430: Can't Run Target CPU: Could not run device (to breakpoint)

Programming and debugging an MSP430G2231 works fine with the same
Launchpad.
Does anybody have similar problems and know how to solve them?

Thanks in advance!
Markus

Anurag Kanase

Feb 16, 2011, 7:00:38 AM2/16/11
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com

I think the problem which you are facing is beacause the device I.e. the G2452 is not supported by the launchpad. I might be wrong in terms, but give it for a compatibility look.

kenemon

Feb 16, 2011, 1:06:54 PM2/16/11
to TI Launchpad
I have the same issue by my debug crashes at end and says "unable to
write to target"

On Feb 16, 6:00 am, Anurag Kanase <anuragkan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the problem which you are facing is beacause the device I.e. the
> G2452 is not supported by the launchpad. I might be wrong in terms, but give
> it for a compatibility look.
> On 16-Feb-2011 12:36 PM, "Markus" <thindepo...@gmail.com> wrote:> Hello there!

Gerard Sequeira

Feb 16, 2011, 1:10:56 PM2/16/11
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com
A member was able to do it here. Version 4.2.1 of CCS
--
MachineGrid - Robots, Hacks and Technology.
43oh - MSP430 Discussion, News and Projects.

Gerard Sequeira

Feb 16, 2011, 1:11:31 PM2/16/11
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com
Did not see your full post, you are at 4.2.1.

gatesphere

Feb 16, 2011, 1:44:47 PM2/16/11
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com
This is just speculation, but it seems that there may be a faulty batch of chips out in the wild.  Time will tell.
-->gatesphere

GeekDoc

Feb 16, 2011, 9:30:15 PM2/16/11
to TI Launchpad
Looks like I'll have to test mine this weekend!

On Feb 16, 12:44 pm, gatesphere <gatesph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is just speculation, but it seems that there may be a faulty batch
> of chips out in the wild.  Time will tell.
> -->gatesphere
>
> On 2/16/2011 1:11 PM, Gerard Sequeira wrote:
>

> > Did not see your full post, you are at 4.2.1.
>
> > On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Gerard Sequeira <gerry....@gmail.com
> > <mailto:gerry....@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >     A member was able to do it here
> >     <http://www.43oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=503&p=3655#p3655>.
> >     Version 4.2.1 of CCS
>
> >     On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 1:06 PM, kenemon <bue...@gmail.com
> >     <mailto:bue...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >         I have the same issue by my debug crashes at end and says
> >         "unable to
> >         write to target"
>
> >         On Feb 16, 6:00 am, Anurag Kanase <anuragkan...@gmail.com
> >         <mailto:anuragkan...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >         > I think the problem which you are facing is beacause the
> >         device I.e. the
> >         > G2452 is not supported by the launchpad. I might be wrong in
> >         terms, but give
> >         > it for a compatibility look.
> >         > On 16-Feb-2011 12:36 PM, "Markus" <thindepo...@gmail.com
> >         <mailto:thindepo...@gmail.com>> wrote:> Hello there!
> >     <http://www.43oh.com/>MachineGrid <http://www.machinegrid.com/> -
> >     Robots, Hacks and Technology.
> >     43oh <http://www.43oh.com/> - MSP430 Discussion
> >     <http://www.43oh.com/forum/index.php>, News and Projects.
>
> > --
> > <http://www.43oh.com/>MachineGrid <http://www.machinegrid.com/> -
> > Robots, Hacks and Technology.
> > 43oh <http://www.43oh.com/> - MSP430 Discussion
> > <http://www.43oh.com/forum/index.php>, News and Projects.

Fe2o3Fish

Feb 18, 2011, 4:57:55 PM2/18/11
to TI Launchpad
I've had no problems downloading or debugging with the two '2452
samples that
I received on the 14th. I've used the latest IAR and CSS4 from TI's
LPwiki page
as well as the latest released mspgcc4 although I've had to use
another chip type
since the includes and the compiler don't know about the '2452. Note
that my LP's
are both version 1.3.

Just adding a datapoint. :-)

-Rusty-

Harri Haataja

Mar 8, 2011, 2:49:55 PM3/8/11
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com
On 18 February 2011 23:57, Fe2o3Fish <kd4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've had no problems downloading or debugging with the two '2452
> samples that
> I received on the 14th.  I've used the latest  IAR and CSS4 from TI's
> LPwiki page
> as well as the latest released mspgcc4 although I've had to use
> another chip type
> since the includes and the compiler don't know about the '2452.   Note
> that my LP's
> are both version 1.3.

That's interesting since gcc's support for the chip looks depressing.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3109143&group_id=277223&atid=1177287

I'd be interested in what chip type and what features you used.

--
I appear to be temporarily using gmail's horrible interface. I
apologise for any failure in my part in trying to make it do the right

Old_Cow_Yellow

Mar 8, 2011, 8:07:43 PM3/8/11
to TI Launchpad
Rusty,

Could you tell us the first 5 digits of the 9-digit serial number? It
is on a sticker on the back side of the PCB.

Mine has 10090xxxx. It sort of works with IAR,

--OCY

Rusty Haddock

Mar 9, 2011, 3:50:10 AM3/9/11
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com
I, for the life of me, can't remember how I did it.
The way things have been going of late I may have spoken
too soon.  My apologies.  If I find a way I'll pass it
along.
--
    _____                Rusty Haddock  <=>  AE5AE
|\/    o   \    o             Way out yonder in the
|    (    -<  O o      Van Alstyne (TX) Metropolitan Area
|/\__V__/           Math illiteracy affects 7 out of 5 people!

Rusty Haddock

Mar 9, 2011, 3:56:08 AM3/9/11
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com
The S/N on mine LP's is 10060xxxx.  I received my two around the middle of July '10.
Guess I wuz one of the lucky ones as I ordered mine thru the TI Store the night after
the fiasco. :-)

Lemme know if there's something I can try out for y'all!

     -Rusty-

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Old_Cow_Yellow <lichen.wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Rusty,

Could you tell us the first 5 digits of the 9-digit serial number? It
is on a sticker on the back side of the PCB.

Mine has 10090xxxx. It sort of works with IAR,

--OCY

kenemon

Mar 11, 2011, 9:17:12 AM3/11/11
to TI Launchpad
Looks like the temporary fix by TI is to ship some other similar
chips. The newly stocked MSP430G2332 (in the mail) may help out having
3CCR's..... And after some reflow action, the TSSOP format may be the
answer....... no other 20 pin DIP's at the moment :(

On Mar 9, 2:56 am, Rusty Haddock <kd4...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The S/N on mine LP's is 10060xxxx.  I received my two around the middle of
> July '10.
> Guess I wuz one of the lucky ones as I ordered mine thru the TI Store the
> night after
> the fiasco. :-)
>
> Lemme know if there's something I can try out for y'all!
>
>      -Rusty-
>
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Old_Cow_Yellow <

kenemon

Apr 3, 2011, 1:47:50 PM4/3/11
to TI Launchpad
There is a new (for me) flash update tool on the wiki site for the
launchpad. Now I can flash the 452 chip, and ignore the "incorrect
type" error. Seems to work, we will see. Was able to reflow the 332
tssop with a breakout board and some headers, looks like it is working
with launchpad as well, with no errors.

kenemon

Apr 3, 2011, 2:11:13 PM4/3/11
to TI Launchpad
for those interested i took a couple pics of my first reflow project,
had an interesting looking end result. See them here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=https://docs.google.com/leaf%3Fid%3D0B0GvwGrWV7TpODYyODY0MzMtNzIwYi00YWM3LWE3MjktZDRkZDVlYTQwNWQy%26hl%3Den