MSP430 Launchpad: Linux serial problem

ScannerPrincess

Sep 8, 2010, 12:36:18 PM9/8/10
to TI Launchpad
G'Day!

Has anyone succeeded in using Launchpad's serial port with Linux?
There were instructions on the net to access the serial output of the
temperature demo with:

stty 2400 < /dev/ttyACM0
cat /dev/ttyACM0

/dev/ttyACM0 is created when I plug in the Launchpad board, but as a
response to the stty command I only get:

bash: /dev/ttyACM0: Input/output error

even as the superuser.

I'm using Linux 2.6.32-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 20 14:24:04
UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux on an IBM T23.

Thanks, Karin

Harley Laue

Sep 8, 2010, 4:54:31 PM9/8/10
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com

The above worked on my system (Arch Linux) IIRC. The temperature demo
I have here (http://losinggeneration.homelinux.org/wp-upload/msp430/temperature-demo.tgz)
has a plot_temp.py that worked on my system. It requires several
packages that may not be installed on your system though. They'll be
python packages possible like: python-{gnuplot,serial,numpy} not sure
on the actual package names, but that should give you enough to go on
for something like: apt-cache search python | grep -E
"(gnuplot|serial|numpy)"

Kevix

Sep 8, 2010, 8:22:10 PM9/8/10
to TI Launchpad

On Sep 8, 4:54 pm, Harley Laue <losinggenerat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ScannerPrincess wrote:
> > G'Day!
>
> > Has anyone succeeded in using Launchpad's serial port with Linux?
> > There were instructions on the net to access the serial output of the
> > temperature demo with:
>
> > stty 2400 < /dev/ttyACM0
> > cat /dev/ttyACM0
>
> > /dev/ttyACM0 is created when I plug in the Launchpad board, but as a
> > response to the stty command I only get:
>
> > bash: /dev/ttyACM0: Input/output error
>
> > even as the superuser.
>
> > I'm using Linux 2.6.32-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Aug 20 14:24:04
> > UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux on an IBM T23.
>
> > Thanks,  Karin
>
> The above worked on my system (Arch Linux) IIRC.  The temperature demo
> I have here (http://losinggeneration.homelinux.org/wp-upload/msp430/temperature-de...)
> has a plot_temp.py that worked on my system. It requires several
> packages that may not be installed on your system though. They'll be
> python packages possible like: python-{gnuplot,serial,numpy} not sure
> on the actual package names, but that should give you enough to go on
> for something like: apt-cache search python | grep -E
> "(gnuplot|serial|numpy)"

at the moment, I installl the gcc msp430 based upon the hackaday
article on fedora 11. I see the /dev/ttyACM0. but when I run the temp
demo, i get inconsistent results. I need to unplug the usb, run the
program with sudo, wait til I see the 'setting up the serial', then
press the button and about 1 out of 5 times, it works.