How do you like TI's definitoin of '30m waterproof'? Have you tried your eZChronos under water?

tuxomup

Jul 22, 2010, 7:16:37 AM7/22/10
to TI Chronos Development
Here is a hint from me: take out the watch from the housing, mount the
bottom cap, and do whatever you want for a water test. if there is a
problem , you will find some water drops inside the housing.
I still have not tested this, but i think that I'll do this soon.

Piotr Kacprzak

Jul 22, 2010, 7:22:20 AM7/22/10
to ti-chronos-...@googlegroups.com
30m waterproof doesn't mean that you can swim with it.
In FAQ section of manual there is:
"Yes, it is 30m waterproof. This indicates that it resists splashes and rain. However, it cannot be used
while taking a shower, swimming, diving, surfing, snorkeling or any other water sports"

If you will put it underwater most likely it will leak.

Best Regards,
Piotr Kacprzak

Nabil Rami

Jul 22, 2010, 8:11:29 AM7/22/10
to ti-chronos-...@googlegroups.com, TI Chronos Development
Done it, and it is leaking...

Sent from my iPhone

tuxomup

Jul 22, 2010, 9:43:26 AM7/22/10
to TI Chronos Development
guys, sorry for the "stolen" topic, but I did something wrong, instead
of answerin the topic with the same name, posted first from PSEHORNE.
i am a bit confused of these google groups :(

On Jul 22, 3:11 pm, Nabil Rami <nabilr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Done it, and it is leaking...
>
> Sent from my iPhone

lucas azevedo

Jul 22, 2010, 10:56:44 AM7/22/10
to ti-chronos-...@googlegroups.com

  Done it, and it is leaking...

It leaked water inside it? Does it still work?

Lazywinds

Jul 22, 2010, 3:15:42 PM7/22/10
to TI Chronos Development
I removed the electronics from the inside and put it in the sink for
half an hour. Removed and found water in it.
I love the watch but it definately needs to be waterproof. No
excuse...

frankvh

Aug 16, 2010, 4:40:52 PM8/16/10
to TI Chronos Development
Of course if you take the electronics out and put the housing
underwater, it will leak. It has to! This doesn't mean it's not
waterproof.

Remember the watch contains a VTI pressure sensor. How do you suppose
it measures outside air pressure and altitude? There's a small hole in
the watch case which is routed to the air measurement port on the VTI
sensor. If you go and remove the electronics (including the VTI
sensor) then where's that hole go to now? The inside of the case.
Voila, water gets in.

Harri Haataja

Aug 25, 2010, 1:49:17 PM8/25/10
On 16 August 2010 23:40, frankvh <frankv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course if you take the electronics out and put the housing
> underwater, it will leak. It has to!  This doesn't mean it's not
> waterproof.

It means pretty exactly that: waterproof will not let in water.

> Remember the watch contains a VTI pressure sensor. How do you suppose
> it measures outside air pressure and altitude? There's a small hole in
> the watch case which is routed to the air measurement port on the VTI
> sensor. If you go and remove the electronics (including the VTI
> sensor) then where's that hole go to now? The inside of the case.
> Voila, water gets in.

They could use a membrane or another system that allows pressure to be
felt without having a complete hole. That would become a problem once
you start to increase the pressure. I believe the likely thing to
leak, though, are the buttons.

I don't know if waterproof is so necessary or even water or light
splash resistant. The problem here is that what's printed in the
material is a flat out lie.

--
I appear to be temporarily using gmail's horrible interface. I
apologise for any failure in my part in trying to make it do the right

frankvh

Aug 31, 2010, 4:02:36 PM8/31/10
to TI Chronos Development

> I don't know if waterproof is so necessary or even water or light
> splash resistant. The problem here is that what's printed in the
> material is a flat out lie.

I don't believe that's true. If you have the watch *assembled*, no
water gets in. It's fine.

If you remove the electronics from the watch, then yes, water will get
in. Take a look at how the watch is constructed. There's a waterproof
seal around the VTI pressure sensor. If you remove the pressure
sensor, then you're removing that sealed element - the watch is no
longer sealed up and water can leak in.

I hope that nobody is surprised by this. Removing an internal seal
means water gets in. Yep, that's what the seals are for.

Again, if you want to test waterproofness, you *must* do it with the
electronics in the case. Due to the presence of the internal
waterproof seal around the VTI sensor.