Spoof Zimbra to use Yahoo IMAP

Andrew

Oct 21, 2008, 5:07:35 AM10/21/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
This isn't actually Webmail, but it's closely connected. Does anybody
know of a way to make Thunderbird spoof Yahoo's Zimbra Desktop client
in order to Yahoo's IMAP servers?

Brian

Oct 21, 2008, 3:19:46 PM10/21/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
It may be possible to do it with an extension. All that is required
is to send the command 'tag ID ("guid" "1")' before attempting to
login. An extension could intercept the connection request, send the
command, then just act as a transparent proxy.

Chris Clifton

Oct 21, 2008, 3:34:10 PM10/21/08
to thunderbird-we...@googlegroups.com
I've got Google IMAP set up in TB with no extra software, just set up
the account as IMAP when setting up a new account. Is Yahoo's Zimbra
very different or do Yahoo keep all the server settings secret?

Brian

Oct 21, 2008, 4:39:18 PM10/21/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
You can connect to server imap.mail.yahoo.com, port 143.

Thunderbird cannot log in, because the server refuses to authenticate
until the ID command has been issue, but you can use telnet to test
it.

On Oct 21, 12:34 pm, Chris Clifton <gro...@talktalk.net> wrote:
> I've got Google IMAP set up in TB with no extra software, just set up
> the account as IMAP when setting up a new account. Is Yahoo's Zimbra
> very different or do Yahoo keep all the server settings secret?
>

> Brian wrote:
> > It may be possible to do it with an extension.  All that is required
> > is to send the command 'tag ID ("guid" "1")' before attempting to
> > login.  An extension could intercept the connection request, send the
> > command, then just act as a transparent proxy.
>
> > On Oct 21, 2:07 am, Andrew <ale...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> This isn't actually Webmail, but it's closely connected.  Does anybody
> >> know of a way to make Thunderbird spoof Yahoo's Zimbra Desktop client
> >> in order to Yahoo's IMAP servers?

Chris Clifton

Oct 22, 2008, 2:22:06 AM10/22/08
to thunderbird-we...@googlegroups.com
I did some searches on this. Apparently Yahoo IMAP is intended primarily
for iPhone users and the iPhone doesn't log in toYahoo IMAP using the
standard protocol.

Brian

Oct 22, 2008, 2:27:38 PM10/22/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
It is intended for the iPhone and for Zimbra desktop, but can be
spoofed easily. Unfortunately, it only supports plain text
authentication, and there does not seem to be a secure (IMAPS)
server.

Andrew

Nov 7, 2008, 2:27:24 PM11/7/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Yahoo apparently added SSL IMAP support nearly a month ago:
http://www.zimbrablog.com/blog/archives/category/zimbra-desktop

Brian

Nov 7, 2008, 7:01:53 PM11/7/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
So they did. The new server is imap-ssl.mail.yahoo.com, port 993.

jamilkeg

Nov 14, 2008, 1:37:41 PM11/14/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Thanks for the tip and sorry for jumping in, but if I create my
account myn...@isimap-ssl.mail.yahoo.com, it asks for authentication,
but does not authenticate when you supplyi the usual password...any
hints? (Of course, I may be jumping on the wrong place: I want to
access my Yahoo mail account through Thunderbird via IMAP).
thanks,
jamg

On Nov 7, 6:01 pm, Brian <bkenne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So they did.  The new server isimap-ssl.mail.yahoo.com, port 993.
>
> On Nov 7, 12:27 pm, Andrew <ale...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Yahooapparently added SSLIMAPsupport nearly a month ago:http://www.zimbrablog.com/blog/archives/category/zimbra-desktop
>
> > On Oct 22, 1:27 pm, Brian <bkenne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > It is intended for the iPhone and forZimbradesktop, but can be
> > > spoofed easily.  Unfortunately, it only supports plain text
> > > authentication, and there does not seem to be a secure (IMAPS)
> > > server.

Brian

Nov 15, 2008, 1:47:14 PM11/15/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
You cannot get Thunderbird to use the Yahoo! IMAP servers, until
someone writes an extension or proxy. Yahoo! will not allow login
until you issue the ID command: [. ID ("GUID" "1")].
TB does not offer a way to issue user commands to the server, but a
proxy should be able to do it.

adblock for speed

Dec 13, 2008, 7:44:09 AM12/13/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension