Termination of WebDav access by Microsoft

alanrf

Jun 4, 2009, 5:31:21 PM6/4/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
I have received a notification from the Hotmail service announcing a
new termination date for WebDav access.

WebDav access (and hence the WebDav option in the Hotmail extension)
will no longer be available as of 1 September 2009.

vtel57

Jun 4, 2009, 6:07:51 PM6/4/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Yes. I received this notice from Hotmail today also.

I set up my Thunderbird to access Hotmail via pop3/smtp. It works.
Here's how I did it...

incoming server: pop3.live.com - port 995 - SSL

outgoing server: smtp.live.com - port 587 - TLS

Be sure that Secure Password Authentication is NOT checked.

Works like a champ! :)

Thanks so much to Webmail for the years of convenience that resulted
in allowing me to access Hotmail without going to their webpage!

I wonder if Yahoo will ever go free pop again?

Regards,

~Eric

alanrf

Jun 4, 2009, 9:56:17 PM6/4/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
for those of you that want the features of the extension that you
*cannot have* with POP/SMTP like down loading mail from custom folders
in Hotmail and saving your sent messages on the Hotmail server as well
as in Thunderbird then the non-WebDav option will still work in the
extension. It will not be as stable as the WebDav option has been over
time and it will mean that your outgoing mail will have little
advertisements attached but it the extensions will still work for
you.

vtel57

Jun 5, 2009, 2:22:42 AM6/5/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
A quick apology...

My previous post here sounded like the death knell for the Webmail-
Hotmail extension. That was not at all my intention when posting this.
Yes, I agree 100% with alanrf that the extra features enabled by
continuing to use the Webmail-Hotmail extension are well worth the
effort to leave the extension in place and active on your T-bird. So,
if I sounded as though I was running off into the sunset screaming,
"Yay, no more need for this extension!", I definitely apologize. I've
been a loyal user and supporter of this project for quite a few years.
I still use the Webmail-Yahoo extension in my T-bird currently.

Regards all,

~Eric

SamSnow

Jun 5, 2009, 11:08:21 AM6/5/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Advertisements? Ugh. Even for the non-free Hotmail accounts? If so,
I'm going to cancel my use of Hotmail altogether.

In the meantime, I tried resetting my Thunderbird to use the
pop3.live.com and smtp.live.com servers. I got timeouts on both of
them. Webmail/Hotmail is still working like a champ.

BTW, I'm using Icedove (Debian's version of Thunderbird). Do you
suppose that makes a difference?

KE4AVB

Jun 5, 2009, 9:14:51 AM6/5/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Thanks for the info on using the pop3 service. I have been using the
WebDAV section of the webmail hotmail extension to receive my mail.
The new Hotmail section is currently giving me problems on receiving
my mail from my local WX man it only downloads parts of the email.
Tried the pop3 last night and it works fine. I also tried the secured
STMP Secure Password Authorization and it worked fine here.

I be waiting for next webmail hotmail ext update maybe the problem
will fix by September. I do have some custom folders that I am using
such as online saved messages as I do have a system crash every so
often; primary from upgrading hard drives although I may not adding
anymore for since I now a 80 gigs.

KE4AVB

vtel57

Jun 5, 2009, 6:30:38 PM6/5/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Sam,

Icedove should make no difference at all. It's just a rebranded
Thunderbird. Make sure you account settings are exactly as I stated
above:

incoming server: pop3.live.com - port 995 - SSL

outgoing server: smtp.live.com - port 587 - TLS

Be sure that Secure Password Authentication is NOT checked.

That's the only way it will work in TB or Icedove.

SamSnow

Jun 5, 2009, 6:43:05 PM6/5/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I used those settings exactly, except for setting SSL instead of TLS
for SMTP. I thought I read at a link in the Microsoft e-mail that SSL
was to be set for both servers. (They had nothing about Thunderbird. I
was just reading about the other clients.) When I read your post I
didn't read carefully enough, assuming that you were stating the same
settings that I thought (undoubtedly incorrectly) were given by
Microsoft.

I'll give this a try.

Again, my thanks.
Sam

vtel57

Jun 5, 2009, 9:11:00 PM6/5/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Heh! Well, you wouldn't really expect Microsoft to have any assistance
for Thunderbird on their site. ;)

Anyway, yup... that's the difference. The smtp server must be TLS in T-
Bird. Won't work as SSL.

Luck!

Chris Clifton

Jun 6, 2009, 2:57:56 AM6/6/09
to thunderbird-we...@googlegroups.com
Those are the settings that I've been using for several months now.

nadman

Jun 5, 2009, 1:54:49 PM6/5/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Hi I am still not sure how to set up a pop 3 account in TB. These
instructions do not assist me.
Currently while still using the hotmail/webmail extension I can only
retrieve messages but not send
(Mac OSX)
Any help would be appreciated

nadman

nadman

Toledo Presidente: José Rodarte

Jun 7, 2009, 8:45:01 PM6/7/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Thank you very much for your post. I already tried this configuration
and worked just fine. How ever I'm receiving this error message: "The
STAT comman did not succeed. Error getting message number and sizes.
Mail server pop3.live.com responded: login allowed only every 15
minutes"

Do you know if this is normal or I have to change any paramether?

Jose

Toledo Presidente: José Rodarte

Jun 8, 2009, 4:35:29 PM6/8/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Hi Again,

I'm having troubles to use this configuration in my office. Is there
another ports that I could try?

incoming server: pop3.live.com - port 995 - SSL
outgoing server: smtp.live.com - port 587 - TLS

Thanks in advance.

Jose

On 7 jun, 19:45, Toledo Presidente: José Rodarte

Chris Clifton

Jun 8, 2009, 4:56:04 PM6/8/09
to thunderbird-we...@googlegroups.com
According to this help page,
<http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/settings/archive/2009/02/18/how-to-add-your-e-mail-account-to-microsoft-outlook-express.aspx>,
you can use port 25 for sending mail. I don't believe there is any
alternative to port 995 for receiving.