POP3 support for Hotmail

nimroad

Feb 4, 2009, 1:43:28 PM2/4/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Information need for hotmail configuration:

- POP Server: pop3.live.com
- POP Port: 995.
- POP SSL: Yes.
- User: Your Windows Live ID (na...@hotmail.com).
- Password: Your current password.
- SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
- SMTP Port: 25.
- ¿Authentication needed?: Yes, using the same data from user and
password.
- TLS/SSL: Yes.

Chris Clifton

Feb 4, 2009, 1:52:31 PM2/4/09
to thunderbird-we...@googlegroups.com
Port 25 didn't work for me with the smtp.live server. I found that I had
to use port 587 with TLS authentication.

nimroad

Feb 4, 2009, 2:09:08 PM2/4/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Ok, thanks for the review will add this number too

thunderbirdrocks

Feb 4, 2009, 9:13:32 PM2/4/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Hello, sorry if I bother you. I was having problems today sending
email with hotmail. I have installed "webmail hotmail 1.2.20b2" and
"webmail 1.3.2". Then I made a visit to this group searching for a
solution like when I happened before. But here I find this information
I can setup in my account parameters on firefox. I have tried it and
it's now working. So would this mean that I don't need the webmail
plugins for hotmail?

Thank you.

On Feb 4, 1:43 pm, nimroad <cristian.nimr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Information need for hotmail configuration:
>
> - POP Server: pop3.live.com
> - POP Port: 995.
> - POP SSL: Yes.
> - User: Your Windows Live ID (n...@hotmail.com).

thunderbirdrocks

Feb 4, 2009, 9:15:13 PM2/4/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Sorry I made a mistake, I setup the parameters on thunderbird and not
on firefox...

Chris Clifton

Feb 5, 2009, 2:11:11 AM2/5/09
to thunderbird-we...@googlegroups.com
With some reservations, yes, it does mean that you no longer need the
webmail extensions to get your Hotmail in Thunderbird. If you've got
folders set up on the Hotmail site and filters to automatically move
mails into those folders, then be aware that the POP3 protocol doesn't
recognise folders on the server. In short any mail in special folders on
Hotmail won't be downloaded. Only mails in the Hotmail inbox will be
downloaded by Thunderbird using the POP3 protocol.

Firefox

Feb 5, 2009, 5:22:59 AM2/5/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension

Pop3.live.com is working for 2 of my hotmail.com accounts and 2
msn.com accounts however there are some other accounts its not working
on despite having the exact same settings.

tramir

Feb 5, 2009, 7:16:08 PM2/5/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
it seems like this is phase 1 of their pop3 rollout, which affects
accounts from select countries (see
https://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/settings/archive/2009/01/13/pop3-availability-in-windows-live-hotmail.aspx).
unfortunately, us accounts are not included yet...

alanrf

Feb 12, 2009, 3:05:14 AM2/12/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
I notice that at least one of my US based free Hotmail accounts which
did not have free Hotmail POP server access 24 hours ago now does - so
I suspect that the advertised February availability of free Hotmail
POP/SMTP access in the US is likely to be reality.

On Feb 5, 4:16 pm, tramir <tra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> it seems like this is phase 1 of their pop3 rollout, which affects
> accounts from select countries (seehttps://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/settings/archive/2009/01/13/pop...).

Chris Clifton

Feb 12, 2009, 3:19:33 AM2/12/09
to thunderbird-we...@googlegroups.com
Hotmail aren't exactly shouting this from the rooftops though! Guess
they don't want everyone logging into their POP servers all at once.

alanrf

Feb 12, 2009, 3:20:17 AM2/12/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Update: more than one of my US based free Hotmail accounts now has
free Hotmail server POP/SMTP access.

Please be aware that with this change is a change in the server
identity (UIDL) of every message on the Hotmail server. For those of
you that have chosen to keep mail on the Hotmail server Inbox it is
all but certain that, in choosing to move to the new free POP server
you, will cause a *COMPLETE NEW DOWNLOAD* of all email in the Hotmail
Imbox. Please do not even think to blame the Hotmail extension - it
is purely a consequence of choosing to move to the free Hotmail POP
server.

Platypi007

Feb 14, 2009, 2:38:25 AM2/14/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Wow, hotmail with free pop access, I never thought I would see the
day. Since it is working for me now and the webmail extension is no
longer working for me at the moment I've switched over. Thanks for
three great years of support and working quickly to update the
extension each time Hotmail changed their stuff, it has made my life
so much easier! Of course, should something happen with this pop
access I will be back hoping to find the extension still working with
hotmail, and if I ever switch to one of the other services you support
I'll use the webmail extension once more!

ap007

Feb 15, 2009, 5:11:46 AM2/15/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
webdev setting still now working for live.com

happy.gre...@gmail.com

Feb 17, 2009, 6:17:54 AM2/17/09
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Odd. I'm based in the UK, hence on phase one of the rollout. I used
port 25 with "TLS if available" <grins> I guess it wasn't available
on port 25...

Anyone know how it's being rolled out? Is it based on what country
the accounts are /registered/ to or what country you're accessing the
servers from? I'm at home at the moment but I'm peripatetic and
access from many different countries. One of the many advantages of
using the Webmail add-on was it being integrated with Thunderbird,
which I run off a U3 drive (I use the portableapps version and would
gladly stick to portableapps only if I didn't have two U3 specific
applications).

Prior to this I used Wep2Pop which was OK, I used google smtp to send
but web2pop had to be installed on any machine I wanted to use.

Ahem.

Now, who actually wanted my life story? I haven't even STARTED on
what a trial puberty was...

On Feb 4, 6:52 pm, Chris Clifton <gro...@talktalk.net> wrote:
> Port 25 didn't work for me with the smtp.live server. I found that I had
> to use port 587 with TLS authentication.
>

> nimroad wrote:
> > Information need for hotmail configuration:
>
> > - POP Server: pop3.live.com
> > - POP Port: 995.
> > - POP SSL: Yes.
> > - User: Your Windows Live ID (n...@hotmail.com).

Chris Clifton

Feb 17, 2009, 1:05:05 PM2/17/09
to thunderbird-we...@googlegroups.com
I tried port 25 first because that's what it said on the Hotmail
website. According to Hotmail the decision on whether to allow POP
access is based on both the information you gave Hotmail when you
registered, i.e where you've told Hotmail you live, and the IP address
you're accessing the system from. POP access looks like being universal
before too long anyway.