Hotmail via IMAP only downloads one mail at a time

Travelgame

Mar 25, 2008, 10:36:19 AM3/25/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Hi!

I've installed Thunderbird to access my Hotmail account through
Webmail->Hotmail->IMAP. I had to do this manualy, because selecting
webmail as type of account selects POP as default. It works fine,
except for the offline reading part. When I select a folder to be
downloaded for offline reading, only the first message is downloaded.
the same thing happens when I select multiple messages for download.

My config is:

Windows XP
Thunderbird 2.0.0.12
Webmail 1.3.1
Hotmail 1.2.14

Brian

Mar 26, 2008, 1:11:20 AM3/26/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
When Thunderbird asks the server to fetch multiple message bodies, it
only downloads the first. For other types of fetch processing, all
the UIDs are processed.

I don't work offline, so I never noticed that.

Jiten

Mar 26, 2008, 1:06:19 PM3/26/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Hi, How do you setup hotmail with IMAP on ThunderBird? I have 2
hotmail accounts, and I could successfully setup
1 account with IMAP, but the other one is always failing with the
error "login failed" when I try to retrieve messages.
The username/passwd are correct as I could fetch the messages using
POP3 on Thunderbird for the same account.

BTW, I do not use offline mode, and do not have the problem of
fetching just 1 message. I discovered the hotmail w/IMAP
just yesterday and am really happy to see thats available now. Hope my
other account works as well....

Brian

Mar 26, 2008, 1:55:06 PM3/26/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Hotmail IMAP only works if your account supports WebDAV mode. That is
mainly old (created before ~2004) or paid accounts.

Jiten

Mar 26, 2008, 2:09:56 PM3/26/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Thanks Brian! Both my accounts are quite old, the one working is
probably 1995, and the other in 2000 (not working).
Both are free though. Anywhere I can check if the account supports
webdav mode?

Brian

Mar 26, 2008, 3:43:08 PM3/26/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
If you have a Webmail POP account set up for it, you can try setting
it to WebDAV mode in the Webmail-Hotmail preferences (in the
extension manager). If it still works, you have WebDAV.

That actually gives me an idea. Does the new IMAP account show up in
the pull-down on the Accounts tab in the WebMail-Hotmail preferences?
Does a POP account for the same e-mail address?
(An IMAP account ony has a tab for SMTP, a POP account has three
tabs.)

Jiten

Mar 26, 2008, 10:37:44 PM3/26/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
It looks like the other account is Webdav, as when I set the mode as
Webdav it does not work.
Also when I set this account as IMAP, I see it in the Accounts tab
with just 1 tab for SMTP as opposed
to 3 tabs for POP accounts. Since I have 1 hotmail account working, I
had the exact same settings for
this other account, and maybe the Webdav thing is whats causing it to
not work. I get the error that login
failed when I use IMAP for this.
Thanks,

gxg

May 4, 2008, 9:09:11 AM5/4/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Hi!
I have a similar problem with my Hotmail account, I can't access it
through IMAP with the Webmail extension.
I receive an error message that the login failed. All is OK when I set
up the connection as a POP3 account.
Reading the messages here I have tried to see if the connection works
in WebDav mode, but it doesn't.
My hotmail account is also pretty new, not older than 2 years I think.

Anyway, many thanks to the author(s) of the Webmail extension, it's
great for checking e-mail in Yahoo! and Hotmail, even if they don't
support POP3 or IMAP in the free accounts.

Brian

May 4, 2008, 12:48:20 PM5/4/08
to Thunderbird Webmail Extension
Correct, the extension only provides IMAP simulation for WebDAV
enabled accounts.
Don't worry too much about it, WebDAV has less than two months left
for any of us. The good news is that the author has done a very good
job with POP3 support with screen scraping.

Christopher Clifton

May 4, 2008, 12:56:19 PM5/4/08
to thunderbird-we...@googlegroups.com
Hotmail have told me that WebDav ends on June 1st, less than one month away.