Xcode Refactor -> Rename hangs with three20 in my project

Julio

Jan 3, 2010, 3:17:43 PM1/3/10
to Three20
Hi,

When I added the three20 project as a sub project as per the
instructions, I noticed that the Refactor -> Rename functionality
stopped working for me. When you hit the Preview button the Activity
View starts spinning and then Xcode hangs and has to be forced to
quit.

I've set up other projects with dependencies before but I may have
done something wrong this time. Everything compiles, links and runs
okay. Its just that the rename breaks.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Julio

Robert Rasmussen

Jan 3, 2010, 6:29:48 PM1/3/10
to thr...@googlegroups.com
I've had the same problem. After your email, I noticed that I also had the problem trying to rename in the Three20 project itself. After the hang, I saw this in the log

Jan  3 15:45:45 robert-rasmussens-macbook-pro Xcode[16332]: -[Declaration setAttributesInfo:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x203152660
Jan  3 15:45:45 robert-rasmussens-macbook-pro Xcode[16332]: ignoring exception -[Declaration setAttributesInfo:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x203152660 raised by invocation <NSInvocation: 0x200b0aac0> on background thread

Using gdb, I tracked the problem to TTUserInfo. On a hunch, I renamed the properties in TTUserInfo from weak and strong to weakRef and strongRef, and that fixes the problem for me...I can now Refactor > Rename both in Three20 and in my project.

robert

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Julio

Julio Barros

Jan 3, 2010, 10:56:22 PM1/3/10
to thr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Robert,

That cleared it up for me too.  I'm kind of amazed how you tracked that down.  If you have any other insights into your detective work I would love to learn from them.

Julio

studpete

Jan 4, 2010, 4:52:52 AM1/4/10
to Three20
Robert, you are my Hero!

XCode's broken Refactoring so pissed me of (I always thought it's
XCodes's fault, as my first project started with three20)
But you saved my day! Thank you!

I manage a three20 branch that is closely to the master branch and
applied a patch there. Should apply on any recend three20 checkout.
http://github.com/steipete/three20-P31/commit/316a8a81b3cc76a84c5c9fbc6b402972775bc5fd

peter

Eelco Lempsink

Jan 4, 2010, 9:05:21 AM1/4/10
to thr...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 4, 2010, at 10:52 AM, studpete wrote:
> Robert, you are my Hero!

+1 :)

> XCode's broken Refactoring so pissed me of (I always thought it's
> XCodes's fault, as my first project started with three20)
> But you saved my day! Thank you!

It still _is_ a bug in XCode. I tracked it down a little further and the problem only occurs if there is a property named 'weak'. The name of the ivar, the type of the property nor the property attributes matter. I attached a minimal example project to the bug I had reported earlier to Apple (rdar://problem/7318777 if anyone cares).

--
Regards,

Eelco Lempsink

Sadat Rahman

Jan 4, 2010, 9:37:18 PM1/4/10
to thr...@googlegroups.com

On 05/01/2010, at 1:05 AM, Eelco Lempsink wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2010, at 10:52 AM, studpete wrote:
>> Robert, you are my Hero!
>
> +1 :)

+2 :-)

This bug has been annoying the hell out me for a while, especially since most of my iPhone projects are making use of the Three20 library.

>> XCode's broken Refactoring so pissed me of (I always thought it's
>> XCodes's fault, as my first project started with three20)
>> But you saved my day! Thank you!
>
> It still _is_ a bug in XCode. I tracked it down a little further and the problem only occurs if there is a property named 'weak'. The name of the ivar, the type of the property nor the property attributes matter. I attached a minimal example project to the bug I had reported earlier to Apple (rdar://problem/7318777 if anyone cares).

@Jeff - If you are reading this, are you able to pull in Rob's workaround to the Three20 master?
Pete has kindly published this patch here:
http://github.com/steipete/three20-P31/commit/316a8a81b3cc76a84c5c9fbc6b402972775bc5fd

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Verkoeyen

Jan 4, 2010, 9:44:27 PM1/4/10
to thr...@googlegroups.com
I'll get on this, seems it's caused quite the stir. Pardon my absence over the new years, we should be back to regular pushes starting this week or next.

- Jeff

David Morford

Jan 4, 2010, 10:11:34 PM1/4/10
to thr...@googlegroups.com
+3.

That thing has been annoying me daily!

Cheers,
Dave

David Morford

Jan 4, 2010, 10:15:05 PM1/4/10
to thr...@googlegroups.com
BTW, I filed a Radar issue on this about a month ago. Reference number is rdar://7450274 and I've since closed it as resolved point to this message thread so the Xcode guys can track the issue.

Cheers,
David

Sadat Rahman

Jan 5, 2010, 11:06:09 AM1/5/10
to thr...@googlegroups.com

On 05/01/2010, at 1:44 PM, Jeff Verkoeyen wrote:

> I'll get on this, seems it's caused quite the stir. Pardon my absence over the new years, we should be back to regular pushes starting this week or next.
>
> - Jeff

Thanks a lot, Jeff. You regular bug fix pushes have been great - saves us all from having to pull from the vast number of forks out there.
Just wondering, while you are at it if you could nudge whoever is maintaining the Facebook Connect SDK to fix the broken build on the HEAD revision:
http://github.com/facebook/facebook-iphone-sdk/issues#issue/6

;-)