ThinkUp beta 4 now available

1 view

Gina Trapani

Nov 14, 2010, 2:04:06 PM11/14/10
to thinkupapp
Just tagged and uploaded version 0.4 (beta 4) of ThinkUp. Download it here:
http://github.com/ginatrapani/ThinkUp/downloads

Here's how to upgrade your existing installation:
0. Back up your database and files, just to be safe. Beta 4 is a
significant update which will modify your database programmatically.
1. Extract thinkup.zip over your existing installation's files.
2. Visit your ThinkUp installation and walk through the database updates.

What's changed:
* New! Web-based database upgrader: When you install the new version,
you'll experience the biggest new ThinkUp feature, our web-based
database upgrader. Instead of running SQL by hand to update your
ThinkUp datastore, the app will walk you through the process step by
step, show you what changes it made, and even give you an option to
back up your data first. Screenshots here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginatrapani/sets/72157625383770504/
This new feature is big and complicated and while we tried our best to
test every possible scenario, we're depending on you to let us know
how it goes and report any problems you may have or make any UX
suggestions. (Thanks in advance for that.)

* New! Configurable Twitter API error tolerance: The Twitter API
serves many fail whales. You can now configure the crawler to tolerate
up to a certain number of whales--5 by default, but you can increase
or reduce it now in the plugin settings.
https://skitch.com/ginatrapani/ryj2n/configure-your-account-thinkup

* Fixed! Crawler log updates as-it-runs: The "Update now" page updates
in real-time, instead of spinning and spinning until an entire crawler
run is complete.

* Fixed! Lots of little things: no more exec() PHP warning, the
WordPress plugin instructions and DB calls are fixed, long URLs now
wrap correctly, no more bug with deleted accounts because of caching,
restored missing cache directory causing permissions error, added
automatic tests for installation and upgrade process, ported several
tests to the FixtureBuilder library.

Beta 4 represents 19 commits by 5 authors and contains a total of
2,750 passing tests, 243 more than beta 3. The complete version diff
is here:
http://github.com/ginatrapani/thinkup/compare/v0.3...v0.4

Thanks especially to Mark, Randi, Denis, and Sam for their
contributions to this beta.

Let us know if you have any problems with the update,
Gina

--
http://ginatrapani.org
http://twitter.com/ginatrapani

Judson Dunn

Nov 14, 2010, 2:47:33 PM11/14/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Gina Trapani <gi...@ginatrapani.org> wrote:

> Just tagged and uploaded version 0.4 (beta 4) of ThinkUp. Download it here:
> http://github.com/ginatrapani/ThinkUp/downloads
>
> Here's how to upgrade your existing installation:
> 0. Back up your database and files, just to be safe. Beta 4 is a
> significant update which will modify your database programmatically.
> 1. Extract thinkup.zip over your existing installation's files.
> 2. Visit your ThinkUp installation and walk through the database updates.

Is there a step between the first and second screenshots to trigger the email?

I get the same page saying it's being updated, but no email.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious :D

Gina Trapani

Nov 14, 2010, 3:17:09 PM11/14/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Judson Dunn <cohe...@sleepyhead.org> wrote:
> Is there a step between the first and second screenshots to trigger the email?

If you don't receive the email, click on the "What?" help link on the
page for how to get the token you need to continue the upgrade.

Chris Craft

Nov 14, 2010, 6:31:31 PM11/14/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
Git has been having trouble, and it appears .4 is not there any more. Perhaps their database restore reverted the current version to .3?

Groups "ThinkUp App" group.
http://groups.google.com/group/thinkupapp?hl=en

Find out more about ThinkUp:
http://thinkupapp.com

Gina Trapani

Nov 14, 2010, 8:24:53 PM11/14/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Chris Craft <craf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Git has been having trouble, and it appears .4 is not there any more.
> Perhaps their database restore reverted the current version to .3?

Whoa, did anyone else panic when GitHub went down today? Reuploaded
beta 4 distribution file:

https://github.com/ginatrapani/ThinkUp/downloads

Hal Wilke

Nov 14, 2010, 11:14:37 PM11/14/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to upgrade thinkup, and I am getting two separate errors.  When trying to use the database backup, it tells me I need the reload privilege, but when I look at the database, it tells me I have all privileges.  So I skip the backup, because hey, what could go wrong?  (and I figure I can nuke the whole thing and start over right?)

So then I try and upgrade and I get:

There was a problem processing this database update. Error details:
SQLSTATE[42S01]: Base table or view already exists: 1050 Table 'tu_options' already exists

I am not sure when I am supposed to get the email (I never got it,) or where the 'What?' help link is that I saw in a previous answer in this thread.

Thanks,
Hal

Hal Wilke

Nov 15, 2010, 12:32:00 AM11/15/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
I tried dropping the 'tu_options' table to see what would happen.
ThinkUp creates the table again, and gives me the same error.

-hal

Randy R

Nov 15, 2010, 1:54:15 AM11/15/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 5:14 AM, Hal Wilke <hfw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There was a problem processing this database update. Error details:
> SQLSTATE[42S01]: Base table or view already exists: 1050 Table 'tu_options'
> already exists

Same error here. I was about to drop the table, but apparently that
didn't work for the poster.

/r

Randy R

Nov 15, 2010, 2:42:04 AM11/15/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
Kludge to fix this:

I was moving from 3 to 4. The migration script was running both

2010-11-08_v0.4.sql.migration
2010-11-06_v0.4.sql.migration

I edited these two files and changed the table name to

CREATE TABLE tu_options06 (
CREATE TABLE tu_options08 (

respectively. THen I clicked on "Updated database" and it worked. It
also created those tow tables, which I dropped.

Everything appears to be working now in .4 on that instance.

hth

/r

Mark Wilkie

Nov 15, 2010, 3:23:47 AM11/15/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
Looks there are multiple versions of the migration sql in the latest .zip. There should only by one.

$ ls *0.4*
0001-01-01_v0.4.sql.migration 2010-11-05_v0.4.sql.migration 2010-11-06_v0.4.sql.migration

The fix is just to remove the extra migrations sql files from the build.

In the mean time, if you are running the upgrade, just manually delete 0001-01-01_v0.4.sql.migration and 2010-11-05_v0.4.sql.migration from the thinkup/install/sql/mysql_migrations directory.

-Mark

Guillaume Boudreau

Nov 15, 2010, 9:44:20 AM11/15/10
to ThinkUp App
DB update fails for me because I don't use the default tu_ prefix on
my tables:

There was a problem processing this database update. Error details:
SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not found: 1146 Table
'thinkup.tu_posts' doesn't exist

Also, visiting the link we receive by email when there's no update to
do anymore shows the following message:
"You must be a ThinkUp admin to do this".

- Guillaume

Mark Wilkie

Nov 15, 2010, 10:03:02 AM11/15/10
to think...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 15, 2010, at 9:44 AM, Guillaume Boudreau wrote:

> DB update fails for me because I don't use the default tu_ prefix on
> my tables:
>
> There was a problem processing this database update. Error details:
> SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not found: 1146 Table
> 'thinkup.tu_posts' doesn't exist

ah, right...this would be the same issue with running the migrations by hand. should be easy enough to fix.

> Also, visiting the link we receive by email when there's no update to
> do anymore shows the following message:
> "You must be a ThinkUp admin to do this".

this is because the update is now done, so your token is no longer valid, and you are not logged in...maybe we should add a message if there is an invalid token passed, ie: "This update has already been completed" or some such.

-m

Hal Wilke

Nov 15, 2010, 10:21:00 AM11/15/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
I had the multiple migration file issue. Along with deleting the extra
migration files, I also had to drop the offending file. Then everything
seemed to go as planned.

-hal

DHogan

Nov 15, 2010, 10:35:28 AM11/15/10
to ThinkUp App

Mark, thanks for the work around. I believe you mean
"2010-11-06_v0.4.sql.migration" not "2010-11-05_v0.4.sql.migration".
At least that is what was in the zip I downloaded. Also, had to drop
the tu_options table before trying again with the extra migration
files deleted.

Thanks again, David

Gina Trapani

Nov 15, 2010, 12:09:49 PM11/15/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
Apologies for the extra migration files in the zip, all. Not sure how
that happened, but I've just uploaded thinkup-0.4.1.zip, which cleans
out the extraneous ones:

https://github.com/ginatrapani/ThinkUp/downloads

--
http://ginatrapani.org
http://twitter.com/ginatrapani

Hal Wilke

Nov 15, 2010, 12:56:08 PM11/15/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
I just upped the API error limit to 40 and ThinkUp just got a lot
cooler. I am now getting some data in the 'Who You Follow,' Followers,'
and 'Links' sections. Thanks for the great work everybody. ThinkUp is
a great project.

-hal

Gina Trapani

Nov 15, 2010, 1:00:00 PM11/15/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Hal Wilke <hfw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just upped the API error limit to 40 and ThinkUp just got a lot cooler.  I
> am now getting some data in the 'Who You Follow,' Followers,' and 'Links'
> sections.

So glad to hear that!

KyleHase

Nov 16, 2010, 2:10:53 AM11/16/10
to ThinkUp App
Just updated to 0.4.1.

One thing I noticed was that after extracting the files over my
existing files I was unable to login because TU said there was an
update in progress. Just about the same time I received the email
containing the link to run the DB update. After clicking the link and
updating the DB all was fine.

On Nov 15, 4:04 am, Gina Trapani <g...@ginatrapani.org> wrote:
> Just tagged and uploaded version 0.4 (beta 4) of ThinkUp. Download it here:http://github.com/ginatrapani/ThinkUp/downloads
>
> Here's how to upgrade your existing installation:
> 0. Back up your database and files, just to be safe. Beta 4 is a
> significant update which will modify your database programmatically.
> 1. Extract thinkup.zip over your existing installation's files.
> 2. Visit your ThinkUp installation and walk through the database updates.
>
> What's changed:
> * New! Web-based database upgrader: When you install the new version,
> you'll experience the biggest new ThinkUp feature, our web-based
> database upgrader. Instead of running SQL by hand to update your
> ThinkUp datastore, the app will walk you through the process step by
> step, show you what changes it made, and even give you an option to
> back up your data first. Screenshots here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/ginatrapani/sets/72157625383770504/
> This new feature is big and complicated and while we tried our best to
> test every possible scenario, we're depending on you to let us know
> how it goes and report any problems you may have or make any UX
> suggestions. (Thanks in advance for that.)
>
> * New! Configurable Twitter API error tolerance: The Twitter API
> serves many fail whales. You can now configure the crawler to tolerate
> up to a certain number of whales--5 by default, but you can increase
> or reduce it now in the plugin settings.https://skitch.com/ginatrapani/ryj2n/configure-your-account-thinkup

Mark Wilkie

Nov 16, 2010, 7:25:30 AM11/16/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
That's pretty much how its supposed to function. If you had been logged in at the time as an admin we would of linked you directly to the upgrade page.

The reason we show the upgrade in progress message when an update has occurred is because there is a chance the data model has changed in a way that may make thinkup un-runnable, so we have users to run the database upgrade/migration right after a new version of the app has been installed.

-m

Sam Rose

Nov 16, 2010, 8:05:41 AM11/16/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
I just ran the upgrade process without being logged in... I know that there's an upgrade token involved but would it not be better for peace of mind if you could only run the upgrade process from an administrator's account?

Mark Wilkie

Nov 16, 2010, 8:37:25 AM11/16/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
The problem is if you start the upgrade when u are not logged in, and the data model/database has changed in a way where that app will not function without running the database upgrade, you will no longer be able to login, so you will be locked out of the app. the token for upgrade auth is designed in a way where it does not need access to the data model/database to auth.

It is a one time token that only exists when u are running an upgrade, once the upgrade is complete, the token is removed, so there is a small window where someone could attempt to exploit the token auth.

also, the only thing a user can do with this token is to run the database upgrade, they don't gain access to any other functionality, so worse case is they run the upgrade for you ;)

-m

Sam Rose

Nov 16, 2010, 10:21:55 AM11/16/10
to think...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification :) Sounds very nicely designed :D