Should thin start accept an option to clean stale pid files?

chuyeow

Mar 3, 2008, 7:06:16 AM3/3/08
to thin-ruby
Hi guys,

I don't think this is in Thin (but if it is, apologies!), but would it
make sense for Thin to take an option (maybe --clean) to clean out a
stale PID file instead of failing with an error message (the same way
mongrel does right now actually).

I know, use God, but my Xen VPSes can't take advantage of the God's
event-based mode and runs into very high memory usage so I've stopped
using God and went back to monit.

Or is there a better way to deal with stale PID files? How do you deal
with it (for those of you not using God)?

Anyhow, if it makes sense to write it I'll be happy to submit a patch.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chu Yeow

macournoyer

Mar 3, 2008, 10:32:50 AM3/3/08
to thin-ruby
Right now it just raise and error if you try to start as a daemon and
the pid file already exist. But I would like to check if the pid file
is stale and delete it if so.

I think it would make sense for this to be the default behaviour, no
need for a --clean option.

Can you create a ticket for that and let me know what you think.

Marc

chuyeow

Mar 3, 2008, 1:17:25 PM3/3/08
to thin-ruby