font warnings on ubuntu

Steve Borho

Feb 17, 2011, 12:07:15 PM2/17/11
to thg...@googlegroups.com
When I open the any THG app that shows the revision graph on Ubuntu
10.10, I get 12 of these warnings:

QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0), must be greater than 0

There are no setPointSize() calls in our code, anyone have a guess as
to where the warnings come from?

--
Steve Borho

André Sintzoff

Feb 17, 2011, 12:31:04 PM2/17/11
to thg...@googlegroups.com
2011/2/17 Steve Borho <st...@borho.org>:

I also get them. I spent some time last night on that point.
The only thing I can conclude: before a26ce41e8d78, no warning.

André

Steve Borho

Feb 17, 2011, 12:41:12 PM2/17/11
to thg...@googlegroups.com, André Sintzoff

Interesting. The icon theming is definitely working, the Workbench is
using the same refresh, forward, and back icons as Firefox on Ubuntu.
I guess I can live with the warnings if it's a side-effect of using
the system icons.

--
Steve Borho

André Sintzoff

Feb 17, 2011, 12:52:22 PM2/17/11
to Steve Borho, thg...@googlegroups.com
2011/2/17 Steve Borho <st...@borho.org>:

Are the warnings displayed immediately or is it some buffering?
I launch thg --debugger --nofork to see the moment when the error
messages are emitted. Unfortunately, I was not able to catch them.

André

André Sintzoff

Feb 17, 2011, 1:57:36 PM2/17/11
to Steve Borho, thg...@googlegroups.com
2011/2/17 André Sintzoff <andre.s...@gmail.com>:

One interesting point:
If the Edit toolbar is hidden, there is no warning at startup.

André

Steve Borho

Feb 17, 2011, 2:10:21 PM2/17/11
to André Sintzoff, thg...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM, André Sintzoff

<andre.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/2/17 André Sintzoff <andre.s...@gmail.com>:
>> 2011/2/17 Steve Borho <st...@borho.org>:

>>> Interesting.  The icon theming is definitely working, the Workbench is
>>> using the same refresh, forward, and back icons as Firefox on Ubuntu.
>>> I guess I can live with the warnings if it's a side-effect of using
>>> the system icons.
>>
>> Are the warnings displayed immediately or is it some buffering?
>> I launch thg --debugger --nofork to see the moment when the error
>> messages are emitted. Unfortunately, I was not able to catch them.
>
> One interesting point:
> If the Edit toolbar is hidden, there is no warning at startup.

I think it is those three icons causing the noise. You can try
replacing them one at a time with non-themed icons and see if 1/3'd of
the warnings go away.

--
Steve Borho

André Sintzoff

Feb 18, 2011, 7:09:40 AM2/18/11
to Steve Borho, thg...@googlegroups.com

Some more information regarding these warnings.
- The warnings are raised when the view-refresh icon is displayed.
This occurs at startup of thg if the Edit toolbar is not hidden. If
the user enables it later, the warnings are raised at that time.
Additionally, warnings could be raised when the mouse goes over the
icon.
- No warning occurs when displaying view-refresh icon in other widgets
like the status widget. In these cases, the icon is smaller than in
the Edit toolbar.
- If the Ubuntu theme is changed to Clearlooks, no more warning
occurs. That theme is not using view-refresh Humanity theme icons.
- It seems that Qt is not able to use the file
/usr/share/icons/Humanity/actions/24/view-refresh.svg without
warnings.
- After modifying the file, no more warnings. Mainly, I delete lines
185-200 at the end of file.

I'm still wondering who should be blamed. Is it Qt because it raises
warnings when displaying a svg file? Is it Ubuntu because the svg file
is somehow bad formatted?

There is already a bug report in Qt since Feb 2010:
http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-8199

André

Adrian Buehlmann

Apr 27, 2011, 10:29:13 AM4/27/11
to thg...@googlegroups.com, André Sintzoff, Steve Borho
On 2011-02-18 13:09, Andr� Sintzoff wrote:
> 2011/2/17 Steve Borho <st...@borho.org>:
>> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Andr� Sintzoff
>> <andre.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

Today I started using Qt thg 2.x on my Ubuntu VM too (running from
source) and got these warnings. Then I googled and landed here. Small
world :-)

Looks like I have to live with Clearlooks...